Upcoming March hysterectomy: Work from home dilemma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming March hysterectomy: Work from home dilemma Upcoming March hysterectomy: Work from home dilemma

Unread 02-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Upcoming March hysterectomy: Work from home dilemma

HI All,

I am having my surgery on 3/23/21 - I cannot wait - I also have essure and I want that out too! They are taking everything but ovaries!

My question is work I have a very high stress, demanding office job... thanks to covid I can work from home and have a work laptop and cell phone. My doctor stated 4-6 weeks recovery. I am still waiting for HR to give me the paper work to send to the doctor. When I spoke with HR they asked if I could work from home. I said NO, I will be out for 4-6 weeks. I don't even want to think about work at all. And yet I already feel pressure from them since I don't have a actual back up to do my work while I am out. I gave them a 8 week notice before my surgery.

Sorry so long - What does everyone feel about the work from home thing? The moment I log on I know they will dump everything back on me so I feel its all or nothing. And quite frankly I am burnt out and want the 6 full weeks.

Thanks for listening to me

~M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2021, 12:56 PM
Re: Work from home dilemma

I would definitely take the full 6 weeks and focus on healing and not work. I had a job where I had taken fmla to take care of my mom and they asked me to work from home and I refused. You want to focus on your health, and healing in a low-stress environment. Working from home still brings stress. You need to use this time to take care of you
Unread 02-04-2021, 03:57 AM

I've heard it said that the only thing more major than a hysterectomy is open heart surgery; I seriously doubt that your supervisor would be expected to continue working while recovering from a triple bypass, so why should this be any different? If your employer is not on board with you taking time off, then I suggest that you get something in writing from your surgeon to make it absolutely clear that this is not a vacation that you're asking for, that youre having major surgery and that not taking the time to recover properly can cause complications that will have you out of commission for even longer; if it comes directly from your surgeon, then they're more likely to respect it. Best wishes for dealing with then, and for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2021, 07:19 AM
Re: Upcoming March hysterectomy: Work from home dilemma

I have not heard that before! My Doctor is writing me out for the full 6 weeks and I intend to take them! Pressure or not from them to "hop" on for a few to help out. I never take of and didn't even take my vacation time last year. While I am happy to have a job the stress of this one and the 24/7 connection they want me to have is not what I want to do. After this surgery I need to seriously evaluate this job and see what else is out there. THANK YOU very much!
Unread 02-04-2021, 08:45 AM

Hi Lily12

Kudos for to you for holding strong to taking the time off. This is major surgery and your body needs time to heal. It sounds like you also need a well-deserved break and have support from your doctor for having the full 6 weeks off. Good for you! Going back to work too soon also can prolong recovery as it zaps energy and stresses the body which takes way while it is still healing. You are smart to know your place of employment and that “working a little” is not an option as they will want more from you. Not sure if you are eligible for FMLA but if so HR can assist you with filing paperwork. Sounds like you have the time as are so busy you don’t get to even take vacation. Sorry that your hysterectomy surgery recovery will be a “vacation” for you. I found a few articles you might find helpful.

Work During Recovery
FMLA and Hysterectomy

Best wishes on your surgery date and remember we are here to support you before and after your surgery. Take care
Unread 02-04-2021, 09:39 AM

THANK YOU those articles are great! I do have FMLA - but am having trouble getting the forms from HR so the paperwork lady at my docs office was like well then we will send them the states form and be done with them LOL she was not happy. I gave them 60 days notice so I am covered there. But still aggravated that they expect me to log in and pitch in while I am recovering. That should never be expected from an employer and for them to do so makes me see that they have very different views from myself. I am striving for a work life balance and am failing miserably at this current job
Unread 02-06-2021, 07:48 PM

Oh dear. I also work from home. I only planned on taking two days off. Now I’m thinking perhaps I I should rethink this. I figured I could just be in bed with my laptop.
Unread 02-09-2021, 10:13 AM

I had planned on taking only 2 weeks since working from home. Now I do have to say I monitored my emails, because my backup is new. I did work off and on as I felt like it, but I extended my 'leave' to 3 weeks instead. Having said that, my dr. wrote me off for 6, but I have a very understanding boss who will allow me to rest as needed even though I am back to full time. My message is this.... if we weren't under COVID restrictions you wouldn't be bothered at home, so take the time now and don't rush back. Think long term healing.
Unread 02-09-2021, 10:17 AM

I returned to work, working from home, the day after surgery. I think you've made up your mind though as you want the full 6 weeks off. If that's what your body needs to recharge, take the weeks off.
Unread 02-09-2021, 07:37 PM

Take the time off!!! I kind of wish I had taken the full six weeks. However, I wouldn't get paid.

So. There is that.

I don't work from home as the norm, however I can do about 2/3 of my work from home - just harder. The first week after surgery I didn't even touch my computer. I was in a fog. I couldn't concentrate on anything for that long.

The second week I did do some things but not because they asked me. It was just me .. feeling like if I do this and that it will be less work later. Plus then I didn't have to take sick/vacation time for that week. *wink

I went back to work yesterday (12 days) and it was too much. I sat at my desk most of the time but there is twisting and turning, and activating those core muscles... it's too much. So I let them know I'd be working from lounge chair at home, and would come in for maybe 2 hours each day just to get things I need, take care of things in my office, and such.

If you have your money situation worked out, take all the time off!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register