Nervous before medical clearance appt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous before medical clearance appt Nervous before medical clearance appt

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Nervous before medical clearance appt

I have my primary care medical clearance appt and bloodwork tomorrow in preparation for next week’s DVH and I feel silly for being nervous. I’m in good health (GYN issues aside) and my primary care doc is incredibly nice but I still feel anxious… anyone else feel this way? I don’t know what bad things I expect to happen…My main worry is that I have white coat BP issues, which my drs all know about and have never seemed all that worried about (BP comes down once I calm down –and the lower number is typically low) but I wish I got less stressed. I remember reading a post-op sister’s nice comment.. .something like, “You know what? it all works out.” Easy for me to think of conceptually, hard to actually convince myself. Any words of wisdom for dealing with pre-op nerves are welcome – thanks for listening and being here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Re: Nervous before medical clearance appt

I don't have any suggestions but wanted you to know you aren't alone with your anxiety. I have awful White Coat Syndrome, to the point that I have to go to drugstores and take my BP randomly and record the results with date/time etc. and give it to my doc's office. Just the thought of sitting in the room waiting for the nurse to take it puts it through the roof.

My last surgery my BP was 171/100 due to nervousness. After surgery it was like 112/70 because I knew it was over.

My body reacts so poorly to stress and the stress only makes it worse but I can't mentally convince myself to calm down! My doc wanted to give me anxiety meds to cope with the stress and that stressed me out more and I never took them!
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:49 PM

Thank you, LilacBlossom222. I do know how you feel - it's so frustrating to wish you could "stress less," isn't it? Take care!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:19 PM

I am in the same boat. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's bp flies up when that dr walks in. My bp was through the roof at my preop appt. it was so high it set off an alarm. The nurse was great, she knew I was nervous.
I am trying to stress less but the high bp makes me stress even more. What a viscous cycle. I hope everything goes well with your surgery.
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Just so you know you aren't alone.... I don't have the typical White Coat Syndrome BUT I have major anxiety attacks before any procedure that requires anesthesia. Before my hysteroscopy, I was a wreck! By the time the Big Morning arrived, it was awful. They had to give me Versed to calm me down while wheeling me down the hall to the OR! That was only a scope and D&C. I can't wait for the actual real surgery!!! Not....

I am sure you will do just fine. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register