Vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair - how long was your surgery, how long were you in hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair - how long was your surgery, how long were you in hospital? Vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair - how long was your surgery, how long were you in hospital?

Unread 03-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair - how long was your surgery, how long were you in hospital?

I am scheduled for a TVH (keeping ovaries) and an anterior and posterior repair for pelvic organ prolapse. I am also quite heavy (5'6, 250 lbs). I am trying to get a good idea of how long the procedure might take and the high/low on hospital stay. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Re: Vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair - how long was your surgery, how long were you in hospital?

The surgery length really depends on how much they are doing and if they run across any issues. I had a TAH BSO, and mine took 90 minutes.

For the hospital stay, it depends on how quick you recover. From other posts I have read for similar surgeries, they may keep you overnight. For my surgery, I was hospitalized for 3 1/2 days. But again, mine was an open abdominal surgery and they keep us ladies longer in the hospital.

Unread 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Re: Vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair - how long was your surgery, how long were you in hospital?

I had what you are scheduled for. Mine was close to two hours and one night in hospital. My doc said it's usually one to two nights. I did come home with a catheter because I couldn't pee. After my two hour drive home I started to bleed severely. Thankfully I live across from our small town hospital. I had to spend an additional two nights because of stitches in my cuff that popped. (Blood thinner given directly before I left, huge pot holes, and two hours sitting up didn't help me)

Your doc should be able to confirm your stay. Get ready to rest rest rest. And be prepared for items to help bowel movements. Keep up with whatever helps keep things soft. It will help immensely. And you will need plenty of rest. I'm just past eight wks and am feeling quite well. Every day gets better.

Good luck with everything!! I'll be thinking of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2014, 11:43 PM

I had all that you are having done plus a bladder sling and it took 4 hours. I was surprised to hear that it was going to take that long, but it really did. I was in surgery at 8 am on a Wednesday and home the next day at noon. I'm six weeks out in a few days and feeling almost normal. The rectocele repair is probably the worst of it. It's hard to sit down for a long time and there's a lot of pressure when you stand for any length of time, which feels scary at first, but it goes away after many weeks. I wasn't able to sit down properly until about week 5. Because you are having A and P repairs, you may panic thinking you have "ruined" your surgery if you feel pressure in those areas after surgery. For the first few weeks I was positive I had undone everything the doctor did because it felt like I was carrying a bowling ball inside of me, which is how it felt before the surgery. But little by little, it gets better. Follow your aftercare instructions to the letter! Rest, rest, rest. I read about women going back to work in just a few weeks after a hysterectomy, and I don't know how they do it, but then I remember that I had much more work done besides having my uterus removed. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register