Did you get a second opinion? - Page 101 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,187 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,348 22.84%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,087 52.30%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 280 4.74%
Voters: 5902. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I saw my PCP, who suggested I see a GYN. I chose the see the OB/GYN who delivered my son 24 years ago. He said he has only done 1 ablation in the last year. He claims that at least 50 percent of women get the heavy bleeding back after a few years. I wanted no part of that...we then talked about using an IUD. I really didn't want that either, as I had known several people who had issues with it. Besides, I didn't want to have to worry about going back in 5 years to take it out. I was also not impressed with his staff...I had a vaginal ultrasound and uterine biopsy on Mar 1 and never heard back about results until March 17th!

There are two hospitals in our area, and I work at one of them. My first GYN doesn't do procedures at the one I work at, so I then looked to get a second opinion from someone who does procedures at the place I work.
He was very thorough and even ordered tests that the first one hadn't. Turns out I have a fibroid, and we agreed the best thing would be a hysterectomy. I was impressed with his staff. He has a nurse in the room with us when he does any internal exam or procedure.(the first one didn't) They were very thorough and efficient with all the scheduling and paperwork, and very friendly and supportive.
Needless to say, I'm going with the second one! I feel more comfortable being able to have the procedure in the same OR that I work at, and since I know everyone that works there, I get to choose my caregivers! from the circulator to the surg tech, to the post op nurses...I know it will make a huge difference in my anxiety level! I know I'm fortunate to have that option, and I don't take it for granted!

If I hadn't gotten that 2nd opinion, I would be a lot more stressed out right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2011, 06:47 PM

The GYN that did my hyster was my second opinion. Dr 1 wanted to do a total hyster two years ago when I had prolapsed fibroids; it was the first time I had issues. Things changed 6 months ago and although Dr 2 took a lot of time explaining my issues and surgery options, he didn't talk about menopause at all. After having surgery complications (right ureter was tangled in mass and cut), I wished I'd went to Dr 3.
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:55 AM

I didn't get a second opinion. I was so miserable and when my then-GYNO showed me the lesions on my uterus ("see those legions? Those are practically holes in your uterus") when he did the ultrasound, he gave me 3 options: 1. do nothing, 2. do ablasion (?) surgery with an 80% chance it would return, or 3. have a hysterectomy.

I'd already had 3 children and had my tubes tied. My husband and I went to dinner after that appt. and decided we'd go for the hysterectomy. My surgery was scheduled for 10 days later --I just couldn't do another period. I don't regret the decision, though I do wish someone had given me more information about the effects of the surgery so that I wouldn't be muddling through it all 12 years later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2011, 07:54 AM

Yes, I did from obgyn/onc just had my RAH 04/27/2011 and for me it was the best decision I could have made. Dx with cin III in Jan of this year after leep/cone in march was told due to location of abnormality would be difficult to monitor and I not being one to play the watch and wait game knew this was the best choice for me.
Unread 04-29-2011, 12:50 PM

No I didn't. However, I was scheduled to have a hysterctomy 9 years ago and cancelled and things have gotten progressively worse. When I looked at my history and the number of Drs I have seen over the years I thought it was not necessary.
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:33 AM

I almost take this as my 2nd opinion, just a very huge gap in between them! Whe I first went in for my first "opinion", the Dr wouldn't do a hysterectomy (for endometriosis and other issues) due to my age (roughly 32 at the time), so he chose to treat one of the symptoms, the heavy bleeding (soaked thru tampon in an hr) with an ablation.

When I went into this Dr, he was very surprised at the treatment choice and he told me that would work (and did) for the bleeding, but does nothing for the endometriosis.

Then when he did the vaginal ultrasound and found my ovary folded in half and in my intestines, there really wasn't any other options in my book!!!
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM

My breast cancer doc suggested the total hysto when I started showing signs of side effects from my Tamoxifen on my ovaries. So my gyn was my second opinion..
Unread 05-11-2011, 04:18 AM

Well, my doctor found the recurrance of cancer in the D&C that I requested because I thought the cancer was back. The pathology report confirmed it. He always has me go to an oncologist for a second opinion of sorts, so I did that. This time, the oncologist actually sent my pathology to another pathologist to look at again, and the results were the same. I was trying my best to avoid the hysterectomy, but it was an emergency since the cancer had come back so quickly and was spreading so fast. I had no choice, really.
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Did you get a second opinion?

My family dr found a large fibroid in my uterus after over a year and a half of heavy bleeding and bad pelvic pain. I was sent to an obgyn who suggested the hysterectomy! By now I was willing to do anything to make thus stop!
Unread 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM

I agree, I have found that something you may not even think of doing turns into you cant wait to get it done. I really to be honest was told back when I was found to have breast cancer the second time, by one of the oncologists in the group to have the hysto then. Back in 08, he said in the end they could put me on the post menopause cancer meds and i wouldn't have to worry about complications from pre meno meds.. But my other doc said he thought that was overly aggressive.. and in the end I have Dr leisure because my orig doc left for a diff hospital.. So in the end I should have listened to the doc who really was looking to save me a lot of pain and problems down the road. But me all I heard was forced menopause and no chance of having children even though i was 48 at that time..Now I really wish I had thought about it more then I wouldn't be at this point now..lol but hind site is 20/20 right..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register