bilateral salpingo oophorectomy recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bilateral salpingo oophorectomy recovery bilateral salpingo oophorectomy recovery

Unread 09-25-2021, 09:20 AM
bilateral salpingo oophorectomy recovery

Thursday, September 23, 2021, I had bilateral salpingo oophorectomy done laparotomy assisted robotically. My BP dropped in post op and I was in recovery for 3.5 hours. Was sent home with narco, anti nausea meds and ibuprofen. Trying to sleep in recliner last night with pillows. Yesterday it hurt / burned to void. That is fine today. In pain with abdomen. Cramping. Took GasX not working yet and no BP yet. Haven’t done much walking except to bathroom to pee. Trying to rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kare_Kare22 View Post
Thursday, September 23, 2021, I had bilateral salpingo oophorectomy done laparotomy assisted robotically. My BP dropped in post op and I was in recovery for 3.5 hours. Was sent home with narco, anti nausea meds and ibuprofen. Trying to sleep in recliner last night with pillows. Yesterday it hurt / burned to void. That is fine today. In pain with abdomen. Cramping. Took GasX not working yet and no BP yet. Haven’t done much walking except to bathroom to pee. Trying to rest.
I am with you in spirit, girl!

Lots of fluids and walking will help you get your bowels moving again. Good luck!
Unread 09-25-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbaney77 View Post
I am with you in spirit, girl!

Lots of fluids and walking will help you get your bowels moving again. Good luck!
Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2021, 04:38 AM

The first night after my surgery, while I was still in the hospital, my BP bottomed out at 87/48; the nurse though I was dehydrated and kept pushing fluids, but in hindsight, I think it was more likely a reaction to the anaesthesia and the narcotic painkillers; when I went to see my family doctor 4 days later, after I'd had to discontinue the narcotic painkillers because they were making me throw up, my BP had returned to normal. For more comfortable night's sleep while reclining, I recommend a small pillow under your knees, and another one under the curve in your lower back. Burning with urination is a classic sign of a UTI, a common consequense of antiviotic use during surgery, which upsets the normal balance of good and bad bacteria inside your urinary tract, so I recommend seeing your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. A lack of BMs can cause gas to become trapped in your colon, so here are a few tips for that: walk as far as you're comfortable with; drink enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow; have some peppermint tea; start your day by drinking a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon, which can also help your body to clear out the anaesthesia and pain medications: make sure your diet includes 25-35 grams of fiber, but if you're nowhere near that, be sure to increase your intake slowly, because too much too soon can cause gas; fill up on magnesium from dark chocolate, leafy greens, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, and almonds; sit on the throne after every meal to stimulate the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in; avoid foods high in fermentable carbohydrates - search "Low FODMAPs Diet" for a comprehensive list of these foods. Best wishes for moving past this stage soon, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 09-26-2021, 07:55 AM

Kare_Kare22,
How are you doing? Have you had a bm yet?

Keep pushing fluids and walk as much as you can tolerate. If you still haven’t gone, you may want to consider a liquid diet for a day or two…adding less solids until some are evacuated. It might make you feel better. Also, what I do to keep myself regular is to eat a serving of raisin bran each morning…lots of liquids, of course, and then 2 prunes with as much water as I can hold at 5:00pm if I haven’t gone by then. (I have a repeating alarm on my phone for this.)
Usually I am all “fixed” as soon as I wake up the next morning. ; )

Take care of yourself!
Unread 09-26-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Kare_Kare22,
How are you doing? Have you had a bm yet?

Keep pushing fluids and walk as much as you can tolerate. If you still haven’t gone, you may want to consider a liquid diet for a day or two…adding less solids until some are evacuated. It might make you feel better. Also, what I do to keep myself regular is to eat a serving of raisin bran each morning…lots of liquids, of course, and then 2 prunes with as much water as I can hold at 5:00pm if I haven’t gone by then. (I have a repeating alarm on my phone for this.)
Usually I am all “fixed” as soon as I wake up the next morning. ; )

Take care of yourself!
Hi. Thank you for note. Yes had BM. W help of GasX and prunes / Dulcalox. I’m so exhausted and tired. Trying my best to push water and slow walking. After shower I’m exhausted as well. One moment / day at a time. Thank you.
Unread 09-26-2021, 10:14 AM

Oh, I am so glad to hear this!!!!

Yes, one moment/day at a time!

You got this!
Unread 09-26-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Oh, I am so glad to hear this!!!!

Yes, one moment/day at a time!

You got this!
Hi. I’m in er. Have fever of 101. Dr wants me here for blood work. X Ray. CT scan. Pls keep me in prayers. Four days after procedure w temp maybe infection. Maybe of bladder I don’t know.
Unread 09-26-2021, 02:34 PM
Re: bilateral salpingo oophorectomy

(((Kare_Kare22))), I'm sorry that you ended up in the ER but hopefully the doctors will figure out the cause of your fever and get you on medication to help you feel better soon.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Please update us when you know more and feel up to it.

Unread 09-26-2021, 03:16 PM

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that you are in the ER!!

I had an infection early on also…CT, bloodwork, etc. Necessary evils, but hopefully they will figure everything out soon and get you back on the road to recovery. You are definitely in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register