4 weeks post hysterectomy: Sleeping ovaries or UTI? lol Cat Urine Pee | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post hysterectomy: Sleeping ovaries or UTI? lol Cat Urine Pee 4 weeks post hysterectomy: Sleeping ovaries or UTI? lol Cat Urine Pee

Unread 01-22-2022, 11:46 PM
4 weeks post hysterectomy: Sleeping ovaries or UTI? lol Cat Urine Pee

I know nobody can diagnose me, but just looking for some experiences. The other day I noticed that my urine would intermittently smell like cat urine! Gross! It’s not cloudy or tinted and I haven’t been noticing any other symptoms. I’ve had 3 UTI’s in my lifetime, 1 Of which was the beginning of Dec and that was the first one I’d had in likely a decade or more. That one did not smell like ammonia. From checking the internet, it looks like menopause can cause this smell due to the lack of estrogen. So, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I kept my ovaries, but I know they could still be sort of shocked/sleepy at the moment. I would be due for my period now and I haven’t really experienced any PMS symptoms.

I have some at home UTI tests left from testing myself last month and have some leukocytes showing up (no nitrites though), but will retest with a first morning pee. Also feeling achy in my pelvis, but probably did more than I should have today. I’ll let you folks know how this turns out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2022, 04:23 AM

What colour is your urine? A deep yellow colour accompanied by a strong ammonia odour would indicate that you're not drinking enough water, so be sure you're drinking enough so that your urine is clear or pale yellow, and it shouldn't smell so strongly. As for the increased leukocytes, because you're not showing obvious signs of an infection, that could simply be from your immune system ramping up after the surgery to squelch any opportunistic infection. Best wishes for working this out soon, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 01-23-2022, 05:57 AM
Re: 4 weeks post hysterectomy: Sleeping ovaries or UTI? lol Cat Urine Pee

Menopause can cause bladder issues, but in our unofficial Big List of Menopause Symptoms, strong-smelling urine is not mentioned. I'm menopausal, yet the only time my urine smells strong is when I haven't had enough fluids. When that happens... whew, it's very strong!

Haven't had a cat for decades, so I don't have a reference point for the smell of cat urine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2022, 08:10 AM

Like the others - I would guess it’s because of what you’re drinking. Not enough water, too much coffee, perhaps?
Unread 01-23-2022, 01:04 PM

Thanks everyone! Todays UTI test strip was negative. Yay!
I’ve been drinking a lot of fluids and have pale, clear urine. It’s so bizarre. I’ll keep an eye (or nose!) on it and certainly reach out to my doctor if need be.
Unread 01-23-2022, 02:55 PM

Hi 1cat,

I know you said the odor is when you pee, but maybe it is from your stitches dissolving and just noticeable when you urinate? You are at the point in your recovery where internal stitches are dissolving. Please watch any other symptoms you have to make sure you don't have some type of infection.

These articles have some info that may apply to your situation

Will I Pass Stitches Vaginally?
Vaginal Odor after Hysterectomy

Take Care
Unread 01-27-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocky View Post
Hi 1cat,

I know you said the odor is when you pee, but maybe it is from your stitches dissolving and just noticeable when you urinate? You are at the point in your recovery where internal stitches are dissolving. Please watch any other symptoms you have to make sure you don't have some type of infection.

These articles have some info that may apply to your situation

Will I Pass Stitches Vaginally?
Vaginal Odor after Hysterectomy

Take Care
Thanks, Brocky! It very well may be vaginal. I haven’t noticed any discharge, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t so. I’m not concerned about infection at this point, thankfully. Thanks for the info!
Unread 01-27-2022, 11:10 AM

If the odor is very pungent I would definitely check with your doctor, it could be an infection other than UTI

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register