Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 27-Jan 02,2022 - Page 12 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 27-Jan 02,2022 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 27-Jan 02,2022

Unread 01-21-2022, 07:01 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 27-Jan 02,2022

Hello all,
I saw my Dr. this week as well. He said I am healing well and re-affirmed that no spread of cancer was found during the surgery of in the lymph nodes. He said I'm considered cancer free and don't need to see him again for 5 months unless I notice changes! He also said that my restriction are for 12 weeks not the 6-8 I originally understood.

This all leaves me in a bit of emotional turmoil. I am in a bit of disbelief but very happy that the cancer is gone. (Only 5% chance of reoccurrence) I feel a bit of survivor guilt for those who don't have this type of outcome with their cancer. I'm also frustrated that I'm restricted 6 weeks longer than I thought I would be. I really appreciate the help I have been given and see how much difference it makes, but it takes me a lot to accept help so to have that need extended wasn't what I was hoping to hear.

I also over did it the day of the Dr.'s appointment. Although I had been released to drive, I had only done it a few times and just very local trips. The Dr.'s appointment was about 20 minutes each way. I was pretty anxious about the appointment so my muscles were tight. I wasn't paying attention went I went into the office. I accidentally pulled open the handicapped door which was really heavy. I was surprised how much the driving tired me out since I generally love to drive. Two days later my body is still tired but improving and I'm still enjoying long naps. Now I need to keep taking it easy and being patient with myself as I heal.

Hope you learn from my mistake and DON'T try to open a handicap door without using the button.
I also went shopping this week and should have tried the scooter but was too proud. Next time I'll use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2022, 02:10 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 27-Jan 02,2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melstamps View Post
Hello all,
I saw my Dr. this week as well. He said I am healing well and re-affirmed that no spread of cancer was found during the surgery of in the lymph nodes. He said I'm considered cancer free and don't need to see him again for 5 months unless I notice changes! He also said that my restriction are for 12 weeks not the 6-8 I originally understood.

This all leaves me in a bit of emotional turmoil. I am in a bit of disbelief but very happy that the cancer is gone. (Only 5% chance of reoccurrence) I feel a bit of survivor guilt for those who don't have this type of outcome with their cancer. I'm also frustrated that I'm restricted 6 weeks longer than I thought I would be. I really appreciate the help I have been given and see how much difference it makes, but it takes me a lot to accept help so to have that need extended wasn't what I was hoping to hear.

I also over did it the day of the Dr.'s appointment. Although I had been released to drive, I had only done it a few times and just very local trips. The Dr.'s appointment was about 20 minutes each way. I was pretty anxious about the appointment so my muscles were tight. I wasn't paying attention went I went into the office. I accidentally pulled open the handicapped door which was really heavy. I was surprised how much the driving tired me out since I generally love to drive. Two days later my body is still tired but improving and I'm still enjoying long naps. Now I need to keep taking it easy and being patient with myself as I heal.

Hope you learn from my mistake and DON'T try to open a handicap door without using the button.
I also went shopping this week and should have tried the scooter but was too proud. Next time I'll use it.
I’m So So So happy to hear that your doctor gave you such reassuring words about being cancer free! I know you’re feeling some guilt about that, but also know that we’re all happy for you, rooting for you, and supporting you. I’m sorry your restrictions ended up being longer than you originally thought…it can be really hard when our expectations are not met and things change.
Glad to hear you’re allowing your body to rest and recover after over doing it a bit. Little steps and day by day.
And thank you for the reassurance on the exposed abdominal stitches.
Unread 01-23-2022, 08:21 AM
Re: So Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcab16 View Post
Hello all,
I have been in recovery now for 4 weeks. So far it gets better everyday. Having bowel movements is still uncomfortable but not as bad as the first two weeks. I did have to go to my OBGYN because I was spotting a light brown discharge that got darker and my doctor wanted to check to make sure that it was not a vaginal infection. It came out negative and she placed nitric oxide on my vaginal cuff to allow it to heal faster. I go back to work in two week and yes and I am a little scared.
Mel,
It’s a relief to know there isn’t an infection lurking!
It sounds like you are making good steady progress. Do you find drinking lots of extra fluids and increased fiber help with the BM’s? It’s helpful to continue managing your bowels the full recovery period.

You mentioned your doctor using nitric oxide on your healing vaginal cuff. I’ve not heard of that before. Nitric oxide is a gas. Is is possible she swabbed a bit of silver nitrate? Something called granulation tissue commonly forms on the healing cuff. It’s a type of slow healing scar tissue that remains raw and weepy, resulting in a discharge for an extended period of time. The discharge can be clear to yellowish as you body releases blood serum or pinkish to brownish if there are also red blood cells seeping out. Silver nitrate quickly and effectively chemically cauterizes the tissue, sealing it and ending the weepy discharge.

Some general spotting guidelines for everyone: Bright red spotting is also possible and can be perfectly normal to recovery, even at four weeks as long as you aren’t soaking a maxi pad in an hour or experiencing a gush of fluid. Losing large volumes of any type of fluid requires immediate medical attention.

As your stitches dissolve, beginning as early as one week post op or as late as 90 days post surgery, depending on the type of sutures used by your doctor, spotting may result as the stitches give up and your own tissue takes over.

We’re glad you joined us!

Unread 01-23-2022, 08:47 AM

Ladies as you round the corner to week four,
you may find you are starting to feel closer to normal with a few twinges here and there, fatigue is still your daily companion, and if you hadn’t already been introduced, you may now meet with swelly belly. In my own experience, I didn’t have any abdominal swelling, until I started slowly resuming some normal activities. In my case it hung on, though less frequently, up until about weeks 10-11.

As antsy feelings are starting to set in as you are feeling better, here are a few articles you may find helpful.

Returning to Normal Life after Hysterectomy

Returning to Work after Hysterectomy

The key to returning to normal, is to do so G R A D U A L L Y.

At this point you may be sitting upright in chairs more often, some of you may already be returning to work if you mostly spend time on the computer, even from home. Sitting upright for extended periods can cause renewed discomfort and increased swelling. Using a dense foam cushion to sit upon, getting up and walking around a few minutes every hour, and propping your feet will help. However, sitting upright puts a great deal of pressure on the pelvic region, which is still actively healing inside. Recline when you can.

For those of you who must return to work this early, plan for being too tired and achy when quitting time rolls around to do anything but lie down or recline for the rest of the day. You probably won’t be able to prepare dinner, or any other routine household chores. And you shouldn’t, get the rest you need and employ all the shortcuts and assistance possible for the next 2-3 weeks.

Walking, you should be able to walk continually for at least 10-15 minutes at a stretch at this point. Not there yet? Every 2-3 days increase the length of time/distance you are walking by a couple minutes. Set a timer on your phone if that helps.

Unread 01-25-2022, 05:20 PM
Talking - Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 27-Jan 02,2022 Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Dec 27-Jan 02,2022

Hi there Sisters,

I thought I’d bring some humor to this thread. I’m sitting here recovering and watching Chopped on Food Network. One of the basket ingredients is a “pork uterus”.

They keep on saying uterus between the chefs and the judges as they go through the evaluation. I can’t help but laugh but also be disgusted by the conversation of uteruses they are having.

As we all grieve our loss of uterus’, I hope you find this just as ironic and funny as I did.

Have a wonderful evening!
Unread 01-26-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGproud View Post
Hi there Sisters,

I thought I’d bring some humor to this thread. I’m sitting here recovering and watching Chopped on Food Network. One of the basket ingredients is a “pork uterus”.

They keep on saying uterus between the chefs and the judges as they go through the evaluation. I can’t help but laugh but also be disgusted by the conversation of uteruses they are having.

As we all grieve our loss of uterus’, I hope you find this just as ironic and funny as I did.

Oh my! That's hilarious!
Unread 01-26-2022, 06:38 AM

Hi all! I have a bit of a random question. My doctor used my belly button as one of the lap ports. The glue for my other incisions has washed off and the incisions have healed well. Can I clean out my belly button?

Also, my incisions seem larger than when I had a laparoscopic removal of my appendix. I have 2 incisions about two inches each. Is this normal? I'm not complaining about the size of the incisions, just curious. Thanks!!
Unread 01-26-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Hi there Sisters,

I have eaten a variety of organs. That is not one I've considered. Oh my. Happy recovery all.
Unread 01-26-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin13 View Post
Hi all! I have a bit of a random question. My doctor used my belly button as one of the lap ports. The glue for my other incisions has washed off and the incisions have healed well. Can I clean out my belly button?

Also, my incisions seem larger than when I had a laparoscopic removal of my appendix. I have 2 incisions about two inches each. Is this normal? I'm not complaining about the size of the incisions, just curious. Thanks!!
Hello,

Did you you have the dissolve stitches and surgical glue? At my 2 week post op, my DR removed what was remaining of my stitches. This included what was left in my belly button. I only share what my DR did at my appointment. I know my belly button glue and stitches annoyed me the most.

I had the same type as you, camera in my belly button and 2 other incisions. My other incisions are 1 inch long each. Not sure why they are 2 inches for you, maybe for access to your organs and prevent pushing and bruising. Just guessing there.

Good luck!
Unread 01-26-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Did you you have the dissolve stitches and surgical glue? At my 2 week post op, my DR removed what was remaining of my stitches. This included what was left in my belly button. I only share what my DR did at my appointment. I know my belly button glue and stitches annoyed me the most.

I had the same type as you, camera in my belly button and 2 other incisions. My other incisions are 1 inch long each. Not sure why they are 2 inches for you, maybe for access to your organs and prevent pushing and bruising. Just guessing there.

Good luck!
Yes, I have the dissolvable stitches. My doctor did not remove anything at my post op. I think I'l give my belly button a gentle, but thorough wash today.

Surgery was a bit exploratory and didn't go 100% as planned. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the larger incisions. Overall, I'm so happy it is done and I'm on the road to getting my life back together. It's worth a couple scars.

Thanks!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register