Hemoglobin 10 Anemia after Heavy Period | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hemoglobin 10 Anemia after Heavy Period Hemoglobin 10 Anemia after Heavy Period

Unread 08-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Hemoglobin 10 Anemia after Heavy Period

I ended up in the emergency room after fainting (OUT COLD) last Monday during the heaviest 1st day of my period ever in my life . Woke up with apple sized clots and blead through a folded bath towel. During ER visit, they pumped me full of IV fluids, threatened admission and a transfusion. but, When blood tests came back with normal clotting? and low hemoglobin of 10, I was able to go home. I was asked to take 3 Ortho tricyclen Lo on day 1, 2 on day 2 and then finish the months pack. I DID NOT take them though.
I have horrible reactions to the Birth control pill (any/all) due to biPolar disorder and depression.
I finished my period within 3 days and follwed up with OBGYN who knows my history. Since I have a history of cervical cancer(squamous cell) back in 1996, and a Retroverted (pain in the ***!) Uterus that literally hits my spine..The OBGYN said ablation may not give me perfect relief from all my symptoms and worries. She said that a TVH is the best way to stop the bleeding, cure the anemia , and take away the risk of the Cervical cancer ever returning.
I am scheduled for pre op visit on Sept 4th and then surgery on Sept 10th. I still need clearance from Primary care doc and Shrink .
Problem is now, I feel more lightheaded, ears ringing, headaches, near fainting, heart palpitations and extreme dopiness and fatigue. Wonder if this is from anemia or just anxiety?

questions-

Has anyone had similar issues that led to their Hysterectomy?

Does anyone have advice? suggestions?

Anyone with either sever depression, panic disorder or BiPolar have a Hysterectomy and how can it affect moods/medications/remission of illness?

And, most importantly..

Can Hemoglobin of 10 (mild to moderate anemia) cause this many symptoms just a week after the heavy blood loss?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Re: Hemoglobin 10 Anemia after Heavy Period

I am not going to be able to answer all of your questions but I do have some suggestions!

Before scheduling a hysterectomy, I would suggest at least a second GYN opinion. I would also suggest carefully discussing the situation over with whomever treats you the depression, panic issues, and bi-polar. S/he can help you determine how best to handle the stress of whatever treatment option you choose.

They symptoms you are experiencing (lightheaded, ears ringing, headaches, near fainting, heart palpitations and extreme dopiness and fatigue) could very well be from the anemia. Some people can be more symptomatic than others when it comes to anemia.

I would suggest you keep a list of symptoms and a list of questions and concerns. Then sit down and discuss all of them with your doctors. I have found it invaluable to have "consultation" appointments where all we did was talk about my health situation and how we could address it--no exam involved.

I wish you all the best as you research your options, weigh your pros and cons, and determine what is best for you!

Unread 08-15-2009, 02:27 AM

I had anemia due to uterine fibroids and extremely heavy periods with lots of clots that was finished in a few days each month. I was taking iron prior to my hysterectomy (10 days ago) and my hemoglobin had gone back to 12.5 prior to surgery. Yet I still felt weak and couldn't make it to the top of one flight of stairs without feeling tired and my legs feeling heavy. In fact I would visibly slow down with each step. So I think that anemia can play a part in this. But have you also checked your blood pressure? Anemia and low blood pressure would make things worse.

Having a hysterectomy is a very emotionally draining thing - as is the decision to do so. I took about 10 months to make the decision - during which my uterine fibroids grew from a size that would have enabled a laproscopic procedure to having to have a vertical incision. Yet despite the much more invasive surgery necessary that has a much more difficult recovery period I am not sorry for the period of time it took me to make my decision. As it is during this period that I came to accept that I would lose my uterus and to feel fully at ease about the decision. I think this was very necessary for me and my emotional state of mind during the period up to having the surgery and so far during my recovery. So I would definitely make sure to work through how you feel about all this with your therapist before deciding how to proceed if you can.

Are you taking iron pills to help you with the anemia? I had to take them constantly as as soon as I'd go off them, my hemoglobin levels would drop again.

Good luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2009, 12:37 PM

I had anemia too -- haemoglobin was about 9 on prior to surgery, I had fibroids, heavy bleeding during periods - lasted 8-10 days and large clots for 3 days. I also felt weak and tired all day. I had low BP and this made it worse. I had an abdominal hysterectomy on the day I started my period. My blood count dropped to4 after surgery so Iwll caution you to think several times before going in. I had to first deal with the anemia and then start the healing process....

So start with taking care of anemia... get 2nd and if possible 3rd opinion before deciding on surgery.

For what its worth -- I still have my cervix and my 2 ovaries -- on the down side I still get my period every month though much lighter than what I was used to and no to little clots. My surgery was back in May!

Good luck!
Unread 09-01-2009, 05:17 AM

Question: "Has anyone had similar issues that led to their Hysterectomy?"

I HAD ALL OF THOSE SYMPTOMS and fainted in my front yard...all from anemia. Tinnitus, vision problems, fainting, exhausting, memor loss, poor balance, poor cognition, and heart palpitations that resulted in minor damage, etc. I am scheduled for hyster in September 2009. I did get IV iron on the 8-week plan from hematologist to keep me afloat.

Having said that, my iron count was 8.2--very low. Now I hover between 9.? and 11.3. I am not in the medical profession, but an iron count of 10 is not very low according to my gyno for a menstruating woman; nonetheless, it can vary throughout the day and based on activities in which you engage. For instance, when I go running, I feel faint afterwards. If I don't run I'm fine all day. The problem is that I need exercise to stay healthy.

Generally speaking (not individually speaking) for a person with no period, anemia should be checked out. So, I would definitely get a second opinion. I can only glean from my own experiences, but I have been anemic since the age of 16 and I am now 45, and the only passing out was at 8.2 and when I was 43. It tood me a lot of years to get to the point of fainting. When it gets around 9.? I do get a bit lightheaded but still quite functional if I replenish throughout the day.

What has helped me was taking 1-2 TBSP of blackstrap molasses unsulfered in water or w/o water throughout the day (from 4-10 times) to keep my iron levels up naturally. My body just does not process nonfood sources of iron. I got the molasses at the local health food store, and it has other minerals including iron to help strengthen the blood. There are also organic vegetable based iron sources as well. Both have helped me but the molasses is quickly absorbed. The only drawback is that you have to take it continuously and it's very, very rich--I don't care for the taste of sugar very much.

Hope this helps. I wish you the best on your second opinion and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Unread 09-01-2009, 05:30 AM

Thanks so much. I had my pre op Clearance from the Regular Primary Care DR. who is on the Holistic side.. and she suggested dietary changes as well.
She re-checked my levels and did not give me a number, but, said I am sure enough still "anemiac" but she felt not low enough to be causing such severe symptoms.
I think my anxiety is adding to the palpitations, sadness, fatigue etc.
I have also heard that some people fluctuate throughout the day.
And also that some people's bodies are used to running strong or high in iron and when they have a rapid blood loss, like the menstrual hemorrhage I had last month, They can really feel the full force of the anemia symptoms when in fact they are just mildly anemic.
I am going to try the molasses, cannot hurt.
Maybe I can sneak it into some tea or in my yogurt.
It is just hard for me to tell at this point what is from the Blood loss last month, what is from the anemia,... what is just anxiety or PMS from the period I am now expecting any day now(LOL) or just stress about the upcoming TVH on Sept 10.

Thanks so much fopr the response. It came at a time when I really needed someone to care.
My snotty daughter gave me a hard time last night and asked me "When are you going to feel better because I am so sick of this"
and I replied, Honey, It hasn't even begun yet...
Ohh... teenegers.

Thanks

Barb
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:32 AM

Hang in there. I also have the molasses -- just add it to your cereal. Its awful taste but helps. Have also added beets, chard and spinach to my daily food. I'm a vegetarian so need to add more iron-rich vegetables/fruits. I was able to go from 4 post-surgery to 10 in 6 weeks just by diet change. Feel so much better now.....
Unread 09-12-2009, 08:38 AM

sounds similar to my story.

I read though that milk products and tannin from tea inhibits iron absorption so maybe tea or yoghurt isn't a good companion.

I was scheduled for a TAH due to fibroid on 24 aug everything look ok and the doc said just have a blood test and found out hemoglobin 8.8 and ferritin 3. Everyone was surprised including me, I didn't have pallor or severe anemia symptoms or so I thought. the op was postponed and I had iv iron. hemoglobin up to 9.3 then I had another wild period and hemoglobin dropped a bit again.

The doc and anesthetist decided that since my iron loss and low hemoglobin had developed slowly over years, ( I am guessing more than 5 years) they were ok to operate. Two weeks post-op I am feeling stronger than I felt after a heavy period. It is a bit soon to say I know but I am relieved. I'll have to see what my next blood test says.

As for feeling yucky due to anemia, after some research I had all the symptoms except the pallor. I was craving arugula, light headed, tinnitus, irritablility, always cold, shortness of breath the list goes on. The arugula craving stopped a day after the iron IV.

hang in there and let us know how you are doing after you earn your crown if that's what you decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register