Hi! I am new to this Forum | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi! I am new to this Forum Hi! I am new to this Forum

Unread 01-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi! I am new to this Forum

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I am 53 years old and just recently found out that I have to have a hysterectomy. It is scheduled for 2/13/2007...just a few weeks away. I have decided to keep both of my ovaries if at all possible, even though I understand that most likely I will be thrust into surgical menopause anyway. Still, it's important to me to have control, or to feel as if I have control over just one thing. I found this website through trial and error after searching frantically for information on this subject. I was astonished at how many women have this surgery...I had no idea! My goal is to be as informed as I can be before my surgery date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Welcome! Glad you found us!
Unread 01-29-2007, 01:45 PM

Good luck. We're going in the same week.

What type of surgery are you having?

Sherri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2007, 02:30 PM

Hi Polkadotz2,

I had my hyst at 46 and decided to keep my ovaries and they are still working three years post-op. Newer studies are showing that the ovaries secrete important hormones well into menopause, so in my opinion, you are making a good choice.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 01-29-2007, 02:48 PM

Hi and welcome!!
I am going in the day before you, I am 50 and have decided to keep my ovaries also.
This is wonderful site filled with great info!!
Unread 01-29-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri428
Good luck. We're going in the same week.

What type of surgery are you having?

Sherri
I am having abdominal surgery. I have a large tumor. I am not so much concerned about the surgery as I am the post op...I have a high avoidance level to pain.
Unread 01-29-2007, 03:21 PM

Hi Polkadotz2,

The pain is worse before surgery in many cases. It was for me, and I had an abdominal. I was sure I'd be a wailing puppy, and I wasn't.

Lena
Unread 01-29-2007, 03:41 PM

Glad you found us! I found waiting was worse than any pain after surgery. Good luck and speedy recovery!
's
Barb
Unread 01-29-2007, 03:49 PM

Hi i will be 51 Feb. 21 and I am going in for my surgery Feb. 7. A friend of my husbands was reading the NY Times and saw this site. I think it is great and has been very helpful. I am also keeping my ovaries as long as everything looks ok. I am also keeping my cervix which I did not know I could until my doctor told me because I have always had normal pap smears. I know the surgery is the right thing to do but I am a nervous wreck about it. I am also have the TAH if I am using the right initials. Some people have said if you have had a c-section which I have had two that the pain is about the same. I remember the worse part was coughing or sneezing. Hold a pillow against your tummy. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 01-29-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi Polkadotz2...I'm 40 and i'm scheduled for this Friday. I also have a large fibroid tumor, and have found this site very encouraging. I didn't realize how many woman were in my shoes. I have also chosen to keep my ovaries, as long as they are ok, and am still undecided about my cervix. The dr. wants to take it, says its easier, however i've been told alot, that its my body and if i want to keep it, its my decision. Just stick to your guns, and do whats in your heart!...Our prayers are with you, and let us know how you are doing!.....
Pam

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register