today is thursday....surgery is next WED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

today is thursday....surgery is next WED today is thursday....surgery is next WED

Unread 08-18-2005, 09:20 PM
today is thursday....surgery is next WED

In six more days I will have everything removed but my cervix. I have had four children and almost strangely feel like all of this is like being in labor for the first time... I can't be afraid of the unknown. My biggest fear is I will be 40 on September 6th. I am just beginning to become the woman I would like to be.... I wonder if I will be able to be that same person, or will I always wonder what kind of woman I would have been if I did not have this surgery! Anyone else feel that way??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2005, 09:44 PM

Hi IEP...I have not decided on whether or not I am going to have a hysto quite yet but from what I hear, it's the best thing we can do for our bodies after we are done with having babies. I am starting to look at it like taking stuff to Goodwill. We get rid of stuff we no longer want or need, right? Well, I no longer want the pain from my uterus and ovaries so why not get rid of it? I feel like if I do not have at least my ovaries removed, I may be in pain and be a miserable witch the rest of my life! Let me know how you do after surgery!

Best of luck to you
Shea
Unread 08-19-2005, 11:52 AM

These are all wonderful questions.

I remember feeling at the time I had my hysterectomy just like I did when I had my kids -- like this had never happened to another woman in history. It's a very odd sensation!

As for what kind of woman you would have been if you hadn't had the surgery -- presumably you're doing this to rectify a problem or to measurably improve your quality of life. I wish I could tell you that you are guaranteed to have a problem-free existence after the surgery (at least reproductive organ-wise) but I can't. You've read enough here to know that there is a chance you'll have problems.

It sounds like you're having your ovaries taken. Assuming you can be on HRT, that can mean the difference between night and day if you can find the right combination. However, that can take some time. In the meantime, you may experience menopausal symptoms -- either mild or severe. Or you may not have any symptoms at all! (Some women go through natural menopause and don't even really notice it, after all.)

Think about how your life is right now. Would your medical problem get better over time? Would your quality of life get better? If so, then you may want to reconsider having this surgery done. It's not something you just "do" when you reach a certain stage of your life -- far from it. (I'm not trying to suggest that you're taking this lightly, but I am trying to illustrate my point.) This is an irreversible procedure.

As for whether or not you'll be the same person after surgery, the answer is a resounding yes. You may have some rough patches and hurdles to overcome, or you might sail through your recovery and never look back. But you will still be 100% woman. There are over 70,000 members on this website and if you saw any of us on the street, you wouldn't question OUR femininity. No way.

We're here for you every step of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2005, 06:36 PM

I don't know about anybody else...but I'm looking forward to the new me. I'm so happy I had the surgery. I hope after the first few weeks after your surgery you'll feel the same. We all go through changes and this is a new one. I wish you so much luck.
Unread 08-20-2005, 06:47 PM

Hey there.

Just wanted to wish you good luck with your upcoming surgery! This whole process sometimes makes us quite philosophical. All being well, you will be a happier and pain-free woman!

Be strong and we'll see you on the post op side!

Sarah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register