Scheduled dVH/RALH To keep ovaries or not to keep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep ovaries or not to keep To keep ovaries or not to keep

Unread 02-09-2013, 08:24 AM
To keep ovaries or not to keep

Hi all,

I'm sure this subject is here somewhere, but I'm lost. My pre-op visit is coming up and I need to decide on whether to remove the ovaries during my hysterectomy or leave them. I'm 48 and have a history of blood clots so HRT (on Coumadin) will not be an option.

My mom had and died from breast cancer, but no other ovarian or breast cancer in my immediate family.

Not sure what to do. I've read so much material recently. My doctor wants me to keep them, believing they have benefits in heart health and reducing other cancers.

Any input on this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Re: To keep ovaries or not to keep

I had my surgery 10 months ago at 48. I kept both ovaries. I went with my doctor's recommendations. She took the wait and see approach. If they were healthy, she would leave them because it's better for your body to produce its own hormones. And also she wouldn't take healthy organs. I also had no family history of ovarian cancer. She did remove a cyst from one of my ovaries. She was confident that it wouldn't be a problem in the future.

Good luck on making your decision
Unread 02-09-2013, 08:56 AM

If they're healthy and not mired in adhesions, keep them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM

If you can, try to keep at least 1. I am having both mine removed because I have a close family history of ovarian cancer
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:13 PM

I had my hysterectomy at 45 and kept my ovaries. My doctor said it would be best to continue producing hormones and have a natural menopause. We did agree that if she found signs of cancer or pre-cancer during the surgery, she would take the ovaries as well, but it didn't happen. My menopause was a non-event, to the point that I didn't even know it had happened until it showed up on a blood test at age 52-53 or so. I never went on HRT.

Fast-forward 20 years, and I just this week I had an oophorectomy owing to a problematic ovarian cyst. It was non-cancerous but huge, had twisted the ovary out of position, and was leaking fluid into me. They removed 1.5 liters of fluid from my abdominal cavity. So I don't know how to advise you, assuming you're pre-menopausal or peri-menopausal. I believe what I did was best at the time. Though I strongly wish I could have avoided this second surgery (NOT fun at age 65!!!!), I might have ended up with other problems by removing the ovaries prematurely. Just another angle to think about, and best of luck, whatever you decide!
Unread 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM

the reason for myself requesting their removal is that both my mom and sister had to go back..I started menopause at 46....anyways I had H1N1 vaccine and got kidney failure..subsequently followed by heart failure..after that 5 months no period..had test ..all dead..eggs were dead and I' was post menopausal..well after the 5 months periods kicked in big time..still 4 days but heavy bleeding..then sarted the odd month or so..Fibroid was 11cm by 12cm at this time..Hindsight is good thing because the longet u stay on contraceptive pref progesterone only the more chance u don't have fibroids well they do not teach u that in school and me and hubs went 10 yrs trying to concieve..oh well now the darn thing is 7llbs plus inc enlarged womb..am opting asap for spinal block given the heart failure plus epidural plus sedative..Whether they have to shrink it before..i do not care..I want the whole lot out,,cervix, womb , cecil the alien and ovaries.....xxx
Unread 02-09-2013, 03:15 PM

i am 50 yrs old..jut for thr record
Unread 02-09-2013, 03:21 PM

i;m also gonna tell my gynea if theres a slackness in bladder do it same time..i would rather get it al, done than go back time and time again with probs esp as your getting older..lol i i could have plastic surgeon in a t same time I would for nip and tuck..just trying to say that we are what we are..and I wil face this with as much courage as i can xx good luck also to pre op and post op sisters..this is a great site thank you xx
Unread 02-09-2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks for your responses ladies. There is so much to think about. This is by far the most important decision, but preparing for the surgery, tying things up at work for the time I'm out, setting up the bridge to go on and off my blood thinners for the surgery, well it has my head spinning. I appreciate having your input.
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Unless you have a specific health condition that would dictate the removal of the ovaries, it is best to keep the ovaries for a number of reasons. Estrogen can be critical for overall health and without it you could find you will deal with new health issues. Also, your own hormones are free. With your blood clot history, HRT may not even be allowed if you have your ovaries removed, though some studies are indicating an ERT patch may be safe for those with blood clot concerns.

Here are some articles that might interest you will you work through your decision process:
Menopause: Effects of Low Estrogen Levels
Study finds no blood clot risk with hormone patch
Ovary Removal or Not? Study Suggests - Keep Ovaries
Keeping Ovaries After Hysterectomy Boosts Survival
Women should keep ovaries with hysterectomy

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register