Remove cervix? Concerned about bladder and sex issues? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remove cervix? Concerned about bladder and sex issues? Remove cervix? Concerned about bladder and sex issues?

Unread 03-14-2014, 02:57 AM
Remove cervix? Concerned about bladder and sex issues?

I am curious about whether to keep my cervix. I have more than 13 fibroids so they are taking everything else but I am worried about bladder issues too and if it will hurt to have sex and if it will still be enjoyable without my cervix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasano View Post
I am curious about whether to keep my cervix. I have more than 13 fibroids so they are taking everything else but I am worried about bladder issues too and if it will hurt to have sex and if it will still be enjoyable without my cervix?
Check what yr doc would recommend
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwantto View Post
Hi Pasano

I did my own research on the pros and cons of keeping the cervix. This site helped me so much, I am forever grateful. I kept my cervix I am happy I did, no regrets. Hysterectomy is a surgery that can really change your life. I wanted to keep as much as I can to still feel like me after the surgery if that makes any sense. Please do as much research as you can, once it's out you can't get it back.... Especially if your doctor gives you a choice, and it's not something that he is insisting must come out for health reasons. All the best to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Re: Remove cervix? Concerned about bladder and sex issues?

My doctor gave me the choice to keep or not to keep my cervix. After much research I have decided it has to go. I am having a hysterectomy for suspected adeno, and I have read in some cases it can be in the cervix. I have been living with daily pain for over a year now.

I also did not want to deal with mini periods, read up on that.

I did discuss with him the risk of prolapse, the risk is not that much more than for just having a vaginal delivery. I also have a lot of pain during sex, if my cervix is hit forget it, I am done.

It's gotta go!
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:06 AM

Did you have adeno, I was told it could remain in the cervix and present probs later. My cervix would get bumped and hurt. Now more room for DH, or at least more comfort for me, yeah ! When asked Dr , she said to prevent problems don't gain weight or lift heavy things.fine by me. We are just okayed for outercourse. I also had multiple small fibroids the path report showed w extensive adeno. So I didn't want to have to basically have another hysterectomy w my history, so out it came. No periods is so wonderful !
Unread 03-14-2014, 04:00 PM

My uterus is also riddled with large fibroids, and my doctor has recommended they remove the cervix. It is my understanding, however, that this will impact sex--and not usually in a positive way. I am going along with it because I want to be completely done with periods. Done. As a divorced 50-year-old with a 6-year-old child, I don't have a sex life anyway. Ha!
Unread 03-14-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwantto View Post
Hi there,

I had the same concerns as you regarding my cervix and after losing alot of sleep over it I called up my gyn/surgeon.
She said that for her patients who had there cervix removed as well as research, for the majority of women there is little or no effect on your sex life from cervix removal after you are all healed up. They create a "vaginal cuff" which is a line of stitches where your cervix used to be. Vaginal secretions cause lubrication of the vagina during arousal so no dryness due to removal of cervix.
Leaving the cervix behind can cause a host of issues like further bleeding, cervical cancer (some untreatable) and worsening of things like adenomyosis if you have it. And hey....No more paps! Talk to your doc to make the best decision for you but after what I have been told I have decided to remove it. I'm not a doc but I've also heard that if you are having laprascopic surgery, you may have to have abdominal if you choose to keep your cervix.
research also shows that men can't tell the difference. Hope this helps
Unread 03-14-2014, 04:54 PM

I've just been cleared for outercourse, but sex is wonderful, no complaints, O's seem a bit easier to reach . Many women who have their cervix removed report no change in sex and actually report it being better.
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiarose View Post
I've just been cleared for outercourse, but sex is wonderful, no complaints, O's seem a bit easier to reach . Many women who have their cervix removed report no change in sex and actually report it being better.
Thanks so much for your reply. My surgery is in a week and this info makes me feel even better about my decision to remove my cervix.
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:42 PM

Great, glad to help. Supposed to go in for 6 wk ck soon, am hopeful to get a full release soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register