Not Scheduled To keep my ovaries or remove them? That is my question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep my ovaries or remove them?  That is my question To keep my ovaries or remove them? That is my question

Unread 03-31-2021, 10:42 AM
To keep my ovaries or remove them? That is my question

Hello. I met with the surgeon at my OB/GYN office 2 weeks ago and I didn't really connect with him,. He just kept saying, so what do you want to do? He told me I had a fibroid that was 18 cm and he recommended a hysterectomy. (I am 50.). I got a second opinion today and he told me my uterus measured 18 cm, my largest fibroid was 9 cm, but he agreed with the other surgeon that my entire uterus was filled with so many fibroids they couldn't count them all. This doctor also stated that I was not a candidate for a laparoscopic hysterectomy, but would need an open hysterectomy. He asked me if I wanted to keep my ovaries. My instinct was yes! (I have no family history of gyn cancers, just a grandmother with bladder cancer.). He gave me the pros and cons and it all felt a bit confusing. Especially with the two doctors being so off with reading my sonograms?

Any advice anyone has to offer on the decision to keep or remove the ovaries with a hysterectomy is truly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2021, 12:37 PM
Re: To keep my ovaries or remove them? That is my question

removing your ovaries will put you into surgical menopause. even after natural menopause, your ovaries provide you with small amounts of very beneficial hormones. i personally would never use a dr that wanted to removed healthy ovaries.
Unread 03-31-2021, 01:37 PM

You may want to keep them if they're healthy and you have no family history of ovarian cancer. I've read (and my gyno/surgeon told me as well) that a lot of ovarian cancer starts in the fallopian tubes, so taking the tubes out might be a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2021, 06:33 PM

Hi and welcome,

Since you stated “both doctors were off with reading...”, I’d highly recommend getting another opinion. You are contemplating major surgery and you need to be confident in your doctor’s bedside method and surgical/medical abilities. If you trust your doctor, you will be less likely to have second thoughts down the road.

If you ovaries are healthy and it is determined you have a low risk of cancer, I’d advise keeping them as they provide benefits to your overall health. Please check out this article: Risks of Removing Ovaries

Glad you are giving this process the time it deserves to make the best decision for you.

Good luck on your journey. We are here for you.
Unread 04-01-2021, 03:49 AM

I kept both healthy ovaries at age 48, because my surgeon and I agreed that the benefits of their continued hormone production outweighed the risks; I did have my Fallopian tubes removed to lower my cancer risk, as ardza mentioned. Wishing you all the best for whatever you decide!
Unread 04-06-2021, 06:58 PM

. I think the best thing to do is always keep the ovaries unless something is wrong with them. I am having a hysterectomy on April 19th and my ovaries will be left alone.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaTLC1228 View Post
Hello. I met with the surgeon at my OB/GYN office 2 weeks ago and I didn't really connect with him,. He just kept saying, so what do you want to do? He told me I had a fibroid that was 18 cm and he recommended a hysterectomy. (I am 50.). I got a second opinion today and he told me my uterus measured 18 cm, my largest fibroid was 9 cm, but he agreed with the other surgeon that my entire uterus was filled with so many fibroids they couldn't count them all. This doctor also stated that I was not a candidate for a laparoscopic hysterectomy, but would need an open hysterectomy. He asked me if I wanted to keep my ovaries. My instinct was yes! (I have no family history of gyn cancers, just a grandmother with bladder cancer.). He gave me the pros and cons and it all felt a bit confusing. Especially with the two doctors being so off with reading my sonograms?

Any advice anyone has to offer on the decision to keep or remove the ovaries with a hysterectomy is truly appreciated.
Unread 04-07-2021, 07:57 AM

Keep in mind an ultrasound is not as detailed as other imaging. Shadows of other organs can interfere... and in fact there've been threads from women who's doctors couldn't locate an ovary because it was covered up.

My largest fibroid was 10cm, I had two other visible ones measuring 5 cm, and I believe my doctor knew what he was going to find when he got in there. As it is, he lost count at 15. Having said that, though, his preferred method of surgery IS laparoscopic, and that's what my surgery was. I retained my cervix and the uterus was morcellated in order to remove it.

I'm with my Sisters on keeping the ovaries if they're healthy and you have no history of problems nor have a family risk for problems. I was 54 and kept mine knowing that I was getting the benefits of my own hormones. Still likely am, though I'm on a low-dose estradiol patch these days. Minimal fuss.

Unread 04-10-2021, 09:36 PM

From personal experience and seeing 4 of my friends who also had hysterectomies. I am the only one of my friends who kept my ovaries. I feel normal. My friends all had theirs removed and have told me it threw them in to massive menopause. All of them were placed on hormones and 3 of the 4 gained a good portion of weight post surgery. I don't know if that is because of the hormones or what. Again, I kept my ovaries, they did go into shock for a short amount of time post surgery but then woke? back up and started working again. I will go into menopause naturally. This is fine with me because I really don't want to take hormones. I had some weight gain right after the surgery, but have been losing since.

Really though this is up to you in the long run. If you choose to have them removed your body will go into menopause which could throw you for a loop and you may need hormones to balance things out. If you choose to keep them, they could still shut down permanently, they could be fine, or they could go into shock for a short amount of time- it is a chance you take. But in keeping them you are more likely to go through menopause naturally.

I guess the big questions is are you ready for menopause? How do you feel about hormone replacement therapy? Personally, I'd say if there is no problem with them, keep them.
Unread 04-11-2021, 03:38 AM

I had the same dilemma as you and i kept my ovaries in the end. at first i said take them off, but following advice on here, i asked to keep them but have my tubes removed ( I m 49 with 2 kids) , I really dont regret it because i m not of high risk of cancer and I m happy not to go through early menopause and all the hormone treatment that goes with it. I m really at peace with my decision ( i had the surgery on March 23rd)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register