Unexpected Overwhelming Need to Caretake | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Posts from the Heart > Aching Hearts

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unexpected Overwhelming Need to Caretake Unexpected Overwhelming Need to Caretake

Unread 07-22-2020, 08:06 AM
Unexpected Overwhelming Need to Caretake

Good Morning HysterSisters!
It has been a year and change since I had my total Hysterectomy. My overall health is good and I have healed physically very well. (Side note- the underpants with the scar strip were worth every penny!)
I should say that the hysterectomy was necessary, so I have no regrets on that score. I am not a mother and never had an overwhelming need to be a mother... I always felt that if it happened I would be happy, but if it didn’t... that was okay too. However... over the last few months I have had an overwhelming need to take care of things. It may be related to losing my dog a few months after my surgery. He was my sidekick for 10 years. I grieved his loss very deeply. Anyway... this need to care.... It’s started with house plants and “rescuing” the half dead plants on the superstore clearance rack. Then, with the year mark of losing my dog approaching I started thinking about adopting a puppy. I have started to feel a deep need to care for this puppy, beyond what I expected. I have been thinking more of that maternal instinct that has been dormant inside of me for years. My husband thinks I am just obsessed with puppies right now, but I feel that it is deeper than that. Each time I apply to adopt a puppy and it goes to someone else I get unreasonably depressed. One of my rescue plants is dying and I feel personally responsible when old me would have just chalked it up to some root rot and thrown it away. (Instead of googling about how to fix it for hours) I feel crazy... typing this out and sharing makes me feel like I have completely lost my mind. It’s not about a plant, dog or puppy... but I tell myself it just has to be...because I just can’t feel a loss over something I never even thought I wanted?!
Sisters... tell me I am not crazy and that this is a normal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2020, 12:16 PM
Unexpected Overwhelming Need to Caretake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmstalrk View Post
Good Morning HysterSisters!
It has been a year and change since I had my total Hysterectomy. My overall health is good and I have healed physically very well. (Side note- the underpants with the scar strip were worth every penny!)
I should say that the hysterectomy was necessary, so I have no regrets on that score. I am not a mother and never had an overwhelming need to be a mother... I always felt that if it happened I would be happy, but if it didn’t... that was okay too. However... over the last few months I have had an overwhelming need to take care of things. It may be related to losing my dog a few months after my surgery. He was my sidekick for 10 years. I grieved his loss very deeply. Anyway... this need to care.... It’s started with house plants and “rescuing” the half dead plants on the superstore clearance rack. Then, with the year mark of losing my dog approaching I started thinking about adopting a puppy. I have started to feel a deep need to care for this puppy, beyond what I expected. I have been thinking more of that maternal instinct that has been dormant inside of me for years. My husband thinks I am just obsessed with puppies right now, but I feel that it is deeper than that. Each time I apply to adopt a puppy and it goes to someone else I get unreasonably depressed. One of my rescue plants is dying and I feel personally responsible when old me would have just chalked it up to some root rot and thrown it away. (Instead of googling about how to fix it for hours) I feel crazy... typing this out and sharing makes me feel like I have completely lost my mind. It’s not about a plant, dog or puppy... but I tell myself it just has to be...because I just can’t feel a loss over something I never even thought I wanted?!
Sisters... tell me I am not crazy and that this is a normal!
Hi there,
Just wanted to say I don't think you're crazy at all. In fact I think you're quite normal to feel the way you do. we women are designed to be loving, nurturing & caring. That's our nature. So whether you are nurturing a puppy, plants, or anything else it is filling a natural instinct inside of you. Hope you get your puppy soon
Sister hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register