seeking advise about an outing 1 week post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

seeking advise about an outing 1 week post op seeking advise about an outing 1 week post op

Unread 02-26-2008, 10:22 AM
seeking advise about an outing 1 week post op

hi
i am tired but doing well from what i can gather. wednesday will be one week post op for me. i was wondering if it was too early for a little outing to our wednesday night church service. it only lasts an hour and i would be sitting. i figured, i wouldn't be walking any more than i do at home except that it takes a 20 minute car ride to get there? any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Hi mew 68
Glad you feel well. I think its very soon for you to venture out. you might feel strong at home but you probably too weak for that yet. The car ride and the sitting on what is probably not a very comfy chair will do you no good. Im three weeks post op today and still feel that would be too much for me. Im sure God wont mind, he be happier if you take care of yourself.Your wounds are still pretty fresh after one week.
Take care Mew 68
Poochie princess
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:45 AM

that is what is what i thought. i just needed someone besides my dh telling me that. i only wanted to go to see some friends that i know are praying for me!!! i know that God wants me to put my health first i am just stubborn and wanted to find out if an outing would be okay. thanks for the advise to stay put!!!
blessings
marta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Mew:
Listen to your body. If you feel up to it, you might give it a try, but you may want to have plans in place for someone to take you home early if you feel it's too much. Definitely don't think it's something you "should" do or let anyone put pressure on you to go out when you don't feel ready - like Poochie princess says, God will understand.
I went out to dinner with my family at 5 days post op. It was about a 10 minute trip and we were in the resturaunt for about an hour. I had no problems with that, but I rested before we went out and I was tired after we got home. The car ride did not bother me, but we were on very smooth roads & it wasn't a bumpy trip. If you go, you may want to take a little pillow to hold against your tummy.
One thing with church is that people may want to visit with you after and ask how you are, which might make your outing longer than you'd planned.
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Hey Mew68 - so glad to see you on the post-op side!!!

I say - if you feel strong, then go for it. Being out and about can't hurt anything as long as you take it slow and easy and don't do anything that the doctor prohibited.

My dr encouraged walking and activity as long as I was not wearing myself out. I was out walking around the neighborhood and doing some shopping at a week out. Also drove myself to a hair appointement. Didn't have any adverse effects.

Would also recommend that you have someone to whisk you home if you start to feel bad. You wouldn't be driving right?

Best of luck - and hope the recovery continues to go well!!
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:00 AM
to mew

so happy to read you are feeling well enough to consider taking a field trip out.
My Dr was very vocal about staying out of large crowds as once you have a surgery your body is more suseptable to infections, viral & bacterial. Our immune system needs to work on healing the body and if we take in a virus on top of that....we may experience a set back on our surgical healing process. Just wanted to share that, as I think it makes a lot of sense. Germs and flu season ....not a sisters friend for the next several weeks. My personal suggestion would be, take a bit of spiritual time safe and sound in your home. God is everywhere, and He knows your heart no matter where you are.
I hope you continue to heal with each passing day. Whatever you choose, enjoy your evening
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:02 AM

thanks jill for the adivse. believe me, no one is pressuring me. i am the youth minister and i am the one that would like to go. in fact, i would probably get fussed at for going!!
yeah, you are right i would end up being there later than normal.
out to dinner huh? i would love to but that is one place i wouldn't want to have to leave early from a restaurant before i get my food. lol!!!!
my family is spoiling me, i can just stay home and enjoy them.
blesings
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM

daragh,
hadn't thought about the infection part! thanks for that.
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew68
i am the youth minister and i am the one that would like to go. in fact, i would probably get fussed at for going!!
Mew68 - I completely understand the desire to get back to your ministry. I have been in Children and Youth Ministry for 20 years. The one thing that I missed were my kids.

I went to church Sunday - for the first time since my January 11th surgery. It was hard to stay away, but I am so glad I did. As jillclair66 said, there will be people who want to chat with you after and your kids will want to you. Because I have all the kids, some of that squeezing was right at my stomach.

GOD knows your heart and your heart's desire. As I told my kids when I left - I (you) had surgery and GOD is going to return me (you) to the ministry BETTER than new!!!

Blessings on you....
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:18 AM

At 1 week and a day, I met with my boss and a co-worker to go over reviews as it was implied to me, my not signing would delay raises.

The outing was ok. The hardest part was standing for a few minutes waiting on a Latte. I was out maybe an hour and 15 minutes. And while I was ready for a nap when I got home, I was very glad I went.

If your up to it, I say go.

My question is this. If you decided 20 minutes into it you needed to leave would you? Could you? I think the answer needs to be yes to both of these 'just incase'.

Also, are there stairs you would have to climb? If so, have you been advised to limit your stair use?

Be prudent in your choices but sometimes I think getting out is as contributory to our recovery (our spirit) as is rest and relaxation (our body).

Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register