Laparoscopic hysterectomy: Lavh 1/7/08 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic hysterectomy: Lavh 1/7/08 Laparoscopic hysterectomy: Lavh 1/7/08

Unread 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Laparoscopic hysterectomy: Lavh 1/7/08

I am a week out and have taken only ibuphoren for pain. Had ovaries and cervix removed. Go for my post op check on Wednesday. Still not doing much lifting but doing everything else. Already getting bored at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2008, 10:20 AM

I am glad to hear you are doing so well!!!! I had my surgery Nov. 1, and was out walking by that time.

I ended up being off work for 8 weeks......and while I felt as if I had ADD, I am now glad that I took the time off. I think the best advice I read was, "you only get one time to heal right". I had gone to the video store, and wrote down all the dvd's I wanted to watch, and when anyone came over, they had brought one....

Everyone was supportive, and made sure I stayed resting even though I wanted to do more. I fought tooth and nail, but now I'm really glad I did. I am even back to kick-boxing after only 9 weeks...

Good Luck, and hang in there, sweetie
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:34 AM

I can soooo relate. I felt so good - I went back to work PT after 2 weeks. But, then it hit me. EXHAUSTION - well - It could have been the combination of the surgery, working PT, and the holidays. (I came back to work the week b4 Christmas)

I was fine - but looking back I wish I had taken more time off from work. It was like I was getting better every day for the first 2 weeks, but after that my healing slowed. I wish I had taken at least 4 weeks off.

Learn from my mistake - take the time you need! (Even if you don't think you need it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2008, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the advise. I am thinking about trying to go back to work next week, but I am an ICU nurse so that involves a lot of heavy lifting. That could be a problem. Have been reading a few books. Today I cleaned out a few drawers. I will keep in mind your experience and try to take it easy.
Thanks
Unread 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM
LAVH Jan 3rd and bored at home too

I had an LAVH with BSO on January 3rd. Came home on Jan 4th. I realize from reading the posts on this site that I am LUCKY. I have needed only Motrin to manage the mild discomfort.

DH was home with me all last week, then with my Dr's OK I took a trip 7 hours away over the weekend. I did not drive and rested in my hotel room frequently. No problems.

Now my DH is back at work and I am trying to control myself from doing too much around the house. Feeling this good can be a problem, I think I can start up with my normal activities again. However, I have listened to all of you and have not done anything but gentle walking.

I don't ever watch too much TV and have read several books since my surgery and I'm really starting to get bored here alone at home. Any other suggetsions to stave off the boredom?
Unread 01-14-2008, 03:06 PM

BAsebabe- I can totally relate. I am now 4 weeks post op and still have another 2 weeks before I go back to the doctor to be released. The things I'd like to do- paint the kitchen, redo my bath etc, etc, etc. But I know that I can't do those things.
It has been a struggle trying to find things to keep your mind occupied. I've read books, watched movies, done crosswords, this week I pulled out the scrapbooking and that has been great. A girlfriend of mine from work came over and took me out to lunch last week, which was nice to have someone other than my immediate family to talk with, and get caught up on the latest gossip at work. If it's not too cold outside, I like to walk around the block as well. Each day is a new adventure! Do you have any hobbies to work on? Maybe work on a honey do list?
Unread 01-14-2008, 07:52 PM

I had mine the same day! Same procedure. Was in the hospital for 2 nights b/c of low bp and hemoglobin counts. I am getting a little better each day. I stress the LITTLE part. I have had probs w/ constipation, and am searching here for some answers. I had planned to go back feb 3, but may delay that. I am on my feet for 8 hours straight, with some lifting. I am now only taking motrin, but sometimes at night I take a percocet.
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:01 AM

Sorry that your surgery was not as easy as mine. I really DO realize how lucky I was. I think it helped that my surgeon was showing off for an intern and a med student. She was really selling them on the Laproscopic procedure.

I had some constipation and my nurse suggested warmed prune juice mixed with a little apple to cut it down. That sure worked for me. Also lots and lots of water--not only does it help with the constipation but it makes you get up and down to pee--keeps you from becomming a complete couch potato
Unread 01-15-2008, 10:08 AM

I had my LAVH Jan 2 and go for my follow appt tomorrow. I feel so much better than I did before, that its hard not to push it. I do get the bouts of tiredness occassionally-things like putting on my makeup takes me longer and wears me out some what....but all in all I feel 100 times better than I did 4 weeks ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register