Going back to school in your 30's.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to school in your 30's.... Going back to school in your 30's....

Unread 12-31-2002, 09:28 PM
Going back to school in your 30's....

Has anyone here done it? I'm sure someone has.

I am 31 and have a great career as a ballet teacher. I absolutely love what I do.......but I dream of other things. I would love a job in the medical field.......I think I would like to be a nurse either in labor and delivery or in th NICU. I never did go to college because I danced straight out of highschool. At the time I had absolutely no intentions of doing anything but ballet....it was my life.

So now I am thinking of going back to school. Financially, I'm not sure how we'll make it work, but I don't believe in letting anything get in your way of your dreams, so we'll make it work. It's scary, for one, going back to school after all these years, and for 2, going into a completely different profession!

I would love to hear from any of you that made the choice to go back to school after years away from it and from those of you who changed careers. I would also love to hear from any nurses. This is all so new to me. I have thought about how I would love to be a nurse for a long time now, but I haven't given it any real consideration until lately. I always thought "I have a job I looooove, so why change?", but you only live once and you have to go for your dreams.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2002, 10:14 PM

Hi Pasdechat,

Follow your heart. I have known people to go back to school when they were twice your age. I bet you can get a scholarship to help out with expences. I have heard in some areas where they are short of nurses they pay a student's way through school. Good luck!!

Shirley
Unread 12-31-2002, 10:15 PM

Hi, your post caught my attention - not because I've gone back to school ( although I'd like to), but my sister did. She lost her dh 2 1/2 years ago and decided that she needed all around changes - sold her house , quit her job (she hated it anyway) and went to nursing school. It was hard, sometimes she questioned her decision. BUT, 2 weeks ago she graduated, #3 in her class! She already has a job that she starts in 2 more weeks, at the same hospital where I had my hyst last July. Her real goal is to work with geriatrics someday (she was a great caregiver to our mom when she was fighting cancer).

I say - go for it if that's what you really want to do! As they say - nothing ventured..... I don't see why you'd have to give up ballet either, especially since you love it.
Let us know what you decide. I think that you can do anything that you decide to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2003, 01:19 AM

Yes! People do it! One of my friends is 25 and doing it now. After a disastrous first run at college, she worked full-time for a while and now she's doing the clean slate thing and starting all over - in nursing school. She's living on student loans (federal and private), and doing okay so far. Your state may have loan-forgiving programs if you stay in the state after you graduate. Talk to a nearby nursing school and ask if you can talk to some alumni to get a feel for how nursing is in your area. Are mandated double shifts common? Could you handle that if they are? Is short-staffing severe or manageable? I'm seeing some pretty stressed nurses at some chains here in Milwaukee, but my niece in New Orleans seems to be seeing a rosier picture--she just graduated and already has a job in a neonatal intensive care unit.

Oh, and one thing my friend Martha did was get certified as a nursing assistant (usually an 8-week part-time course) and work in a nursing home for a while. She wanted to get exposure to the field from the bottom up before committing to it.

I'm 39 myself. I have a degree, but am going back to school part-time starting next month to get the pre-reqs for--are you ready for this? Med school.

It must be something in the air. Breathe deep!
Unread 01-01-2003, 09:20 AM

My grandma was a teacher all her life (I have written about her here before ). Back in those days, you didn't need 4 years of college to get a teacher's certificate.

As the years went by, she always dreamed of getting her BS in education. She was also a busy mom of 3, and wife to a farmer. She would take an occasional class while she was teaching, but when she retired from her career, she had not yet reached that goal of a diploma.

At age 78, Grandma took stock of things she still wanted to accomplish: travel to Europe to learn more about the family history; complete an in-depth geneology of our family; and GRADUATE from a real college. With lots of determination and ingenuity, she was eventually able to incorporate all of these goals into a final thesis. In May 1981, at the age of 81, she walked across the stage at Drake University in Iowa, and received her Bachelor of Science (Education) diploma. It was the centennial year for Drake University, and she was the oldest graduate they had ever had

Grandma always said: no matter what happens in your life, nobody can ever take away what you have learned, your education. And you can never get too much.

I am sending huge cyberhugs as you embark on your brave new world.
Unread 01-01-2003, 09:37 AM
BA at the age of 45!!!

After graduating from high school I would take a class here and a class there for many years. I worked for a company for 26 years and was never really pushed to get my degree. Well the Company was bought out and I would eventually be out of a job.

One of the outplacement services they offered was to bring in a community college to work for your AA, a regular college who offered accellerated degrees and a graduate program if you could get your masters. I had enough courses to take the accellerated program and at the age of 45 I obtained my BA. I graduated in May 99 and I lost my job in 11/99. I took this advantage to move to a new area and start a new career.

You are never to old to get your degree, so you go for it and best of luck to you.
Unread 01-01-2003, 09:40 AM

Thank you so much everyone!

I have been excited and scared at the same time thinking about going back to school and changing careers.....after reading your replies, I am more excited than scared.

DeniseB....med school? All I have to say is You go girl! That's exciting. I took my son to the pediatrician yesterday and he told me(I'm not sure why he told me this, it was kind of out of the blue???) that 50% of people graduating from med school these days are women.....he then went on to tell me that he has always thought that women are smarter than men......we have to be to be moms That's what he said! I thought it was nice.

Twysmilng....your grandma is an inspiration to me If she could do it at her age, then what am I even worrying about?

I have made the decision that I am going to do this for sure. Last night I got on the websites of the local community college and the university and read and read. I am not sure how to get started, but I'm collecting the info and will get started very soon.

Thanks for all the encouragement!
Unread 01-01-2003, 11:48 AM

You go, girl! Once you're ready, I'd suggest you call the nursing department of the nearest available school and set up an appointment with an advisor. They can give you an idea about how to start, how to apply, what part-time programs are available, etcetera. Keep us posted!
Unread 01-01-2003, 02:59 PM

I didn't go back to school to change my career but to realize a dream. I started in accounting right out of high school, wanted to make money and figured I didn't need a piece of paper. Ahh.. youth.

About 8 years ago I decided that I wanted that piece of paper and to walk across that stage with a cap and gown. I started by taking a class here and a class there. It hasn't been easy and I have had to take a few semesters off due to health reasons, but I'm 4 classes away from realizing my dream.

I really have enjoyed the challenge and learning. I say go for it! We'll be here you on.
Unread 01-01-2003, 06:16 PM

Hi there

Yep, I did it! After going to community college for 5 years I realized I wasn't getting anywhere, so enrolled in an accellerated program which was very intense (1 week off at Christmas, year around). I basically didn't have a life for 2 years. But boy, it was worth it when I received my BS degree at 36!

z

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register