How our pets have helped us heal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How our pets have helped us heal How our pets have helped us heal

Unread 05-30-2019, 01:37 PM
How our pets have helped us heal

I have seen many posts mentioning sisters who have pets. I would like to share how much my little dogs have helped me with my recovery. I have two Shihpoos who have not left my side since I came home from the hospital. They have provided comfort, affection and companionship when I felt alone. They have also encouraged me to get out of bed and move around.
Has anyone noticed odd behavior in their pet during your recovery? One of my dogs is a Therapy Dog and is used to comforting others in times of need but I feel like my pain really stressed her out. She has been jumpy, shaking periodically and for the first time ever snapped at my husband who tried to take her away from me (post op day two). I am at 2 weeks post op and she is better but still frightens easily which is odd for my ultra confident therapy dog. I would love to hear others experiences with this and suggestions on helping our furry friends.

the presence of an animal is scientifically proven to help with pain and to increase feelings of contentment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Re: How our pets have helped us heal

Might your dog have been stressed by the fact that you didn't smell quite like yourself? The various drugs we're given during and after surgery change our scents a bit.
Unread 05-30-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny987 View Post
I have seen many posts mentioning sisters who have pets. I would like to share how much my little dogs have helped me with my recovery. I have two Shihpoos who have not left my side since I came home from the hospital. They have provided comfort, affection and companionship when I felt alone. They have also encouraged me to get out of bed and move around.
Has anyone noticed odd behavior in their pet during your recovery? One of my dogs is a Therapy Dog and is used to comforting others in times of need but I feel like my pain really stressed her out. She has been jumpy, shaking periodically and for the first time ever snapped at my husband who tried to take her away from me (post op day two). I am at 2 weeks post op and she is better but still frightens easily which is odd for my ultra confident therapy dog. I would love to hear others experiences with this and suggestions on helping our furry friends.

the presence of an animal is scientifically proven to help with pain and to increase feelings of contentment.
I've got three cats. One is very much a Mama's boy. He's used to sitting in my lap, leaning up against my chest while I watch TV in the evenings. He's having a hard time understand why he can't do that right now. I'm one week post op and still having on and off bleeding and spotting so a 23lb cat on my stomach is very much a no go!

He's usually the only cat that sleeps in bed with me but since I got home, two of my cats are sleeping on my bed and staying close to me most times. The little calico, who isn't much of a lap cat is also sitting on the arm of my chair often to stay close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2019, 07:12 PM

My dog, who is usually a daddy's boy, hasn't left my side since I got home. He usually sleeps on the foot of the bed at my hubby's feet, but since I got home, he's either sleeping on the floor next to me or right up my side.

It's been nice, but so unlike him.
Unread 05-30-2019, 07:19 PM

I was in the hospital for three days with my hysterectomy. My first night home, my older cat waited until I was settled in bed, then climbed on top of me and spread his front and hind legs out as far as they would go. I think he wanted to make sure I would stay there!

Both my cats really seemed to enjoy having me home more often than usual over the next few weeks. My recovery was in June and July, so the three of us spent a lot of time sitting outside together. I would read and sew while the cats hung out.

Both cats were lap cats (and my younger one still is - my older one is no longer with us) and this caused no trouble. We did have to have a talk about Not Kneading Mumma's Belly. They seemed to understand this point.
Unread 05-31-2019, 01:08 PM

When I had my surgery, my family included 2 German shepherds, and two cats. The dogs, and the older of the two cats, have since passed away, but the memories of how they enhanced my recovery still live on. When I arrived home from the hospital, the dogs gave me their usual enthusiastic welcome, so my brother took them to the backyard to burn off some energy while I settled in, then he brought them in to greet me. The first thing they and the cats did was to smell all the new, interesting smells I'd picked up, then they settled down to sleep, the dogs at my feet and the cats curled up beside me. Because my main recovery took place during late spring/early summer, I was able to spend some quality time with the dogs in the backyard; I'd park myself in a lawn chair with my latest knitting project, while they'd go and "do their duty," give me a tennis ball to toss at them, or splash around in our kiddie pool - I can still picture the younger dog happily rubbing his nose on the bottom of the pool, and then rubbing it on me. My older cat enjoyed nothing more than to knead my belly, or ride around on my shoulder. She couldn't understand why I wouldn't pick her up - because she weighed 12# and my lifting restriction was 10# - but I did keep a pillow on my belly to protect it from the dogs, and she seemed to understand that that meant "paws off," because she was content just to curl up beside me; the dogs also seemed to understand that I was a little off, because they mainly slept at my feet. And having them around certainly made the time go by faster. So give your buddies a hug, and best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 05-31-2019, 01:39 PM

My female pit bull mix has been amazing with my recovery. She has been gentle and does not leave my side. She is also my Emotional Support Animal. Being home with her has helped me emotionally and physically heal.
Unread 06-04-2019, 05:00 PM

My two cats, Ringo and Georgi, were definitely a great source of comfort and healing during my recovery! Ringo sleeps with me, cuddles and purrs me to sleep and he seemed to know to be gentle about climbing over me. Georgi sat on the couch with me while I watched shows and rested. She is now recovering from her own surgery (eye tuck to correct a folded lid) I sure feel her frustration about not being able to go outside and do normal kitty activities! Fortunately her recovery time is only two weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny987 View Post

Unread 06-04-2019, 05:43 PM

Hi,

I have two kitties, Tucker and Max. Tucker is 15 and Max is a year and a half old. Tucker has always slept up by the head of the bed, but Max never slept on the bed. I had out-patient surgery, and the night I came home, Max slept by my feet and has slept on them or against my legs every night since then. He’s a “cuddly on his terms” kind of cat, so him doing that is really comforting. It feels like he’s protecting me.

MauiMax

p.s. I’ve always thought animals are very therapeutic.
Unread 08-31-2019, 10:32 PM

hello. I'm 2 wks 4 dys post op. When i came home (after 3 dys hospital stay) Scottie, mixed terrior, greeted me with his usual barking. but he wouldn't quiet down until they let him out . once i got settle he jumped on couch and stayed by my side. Where i go, he goes with it out of character for him. after 1st he stopped trying to jump on me or sit in my lap, which he usually does. when i lay down he lays right by my stomach. The farthest he will go is my feet. He keeps me company and helps me relax. Our animal family/friends are such a blessing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register