Help How much longer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help How much longer? Help How much longer?

Unread 01-31-2021, 08:38 AM
Help How much longer?

Hello ladies
I had my ovaries removed on October 23 and I am unable to take hormones because they almost killed me years ago. Can anyone tell me how long this is going to take to get through this? I am 52 and was already experiencing menopause symptoms before the surgery. I am really having a hard time with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2021, 09:28 AM
Re: Help How much longer?

What happened when you tried to take hormones in the past? What type of hormones did you take? BC pills or any form of BC is a much stronger dose of hormones than just hormone therapy for menopause. I assume you also had your uterus removed, correct? At this point you only need estradiol and no progesterone. If you took progesterone in the past for uterine protection it is no longer needed and that's a good thing because progesterone can be very rough on women as it can cause depression and extreme tiredness.
Unread 01-31-2021, 09:32 AM

I had extreme blood clots in my lungs from taking hormone therapy.I was in the hospital for a week an it took me a year to recover and was told I can never take hormones of any type. Everything I need to take has to be natural and not contain any hormones at all. Thanks for taking the time to respond and I will look into what you mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2021, 01:26 PM

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Very scary. You are not a candidate for estrogen therapy with that health risk.
Unread 01-31-2021, 03:16 PM

Thanks
Unread 08-04-2021, 06:54 PM

Im maybe late on this topic but have you considered a low dose of Effexor? Cant take hormones as well because of chronic migraines and Effexor 75 mg is very good for menopause symptoms. Maybe a little bit of weight gain but not that much (cut carbs and you should be good). Let me know what you think.
Unread 08-04-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorrainyh View Post
Hello ladies
I had my ovaries removed on October 23 and I am unable to take hormones because they almost killed me years ago. Can anyone tell me how long this is going to take to get through this? I am 52 and was already experiencing menopause symptoms before the surgery. I am really having a hard time with it.

I had my hysterectomy in February of this year and can not take HRT as I had cancer. The surgical menopause was tough shortly after but I feel better now. I take vitamins which were recommended by my Gyn/Onc, eat healthy and exercise regularly. The hot flashes only happen if I'm anxious about something and I sleep with a fan on too. I'm 52 as well. Keeping relaxed and calm for me seems to help and yoga has become a favourite thing to do now.

I hope you find relief soon. Everyone seems to handle it differently.
Unread 08-05-2021, 04:27 AM
Help How much longer?

Please keep in mind that most "natural" menopause remedies contain plant estrogens or related compounds that may also be contraindicated for you, so you'll need to check with your doctor on anything you're planning to take. One risk-free natural remedy is water; you can drink it cold, splash it all over yourself, take a cold shower, tuck an ice pack into your bra, or go for a nice relaxing swim if pools are open where you live. Also don't underestimate the power of the mind in stopping a hot flash; one trick that helps me to endure the hot summer weather where I live is to visualize myself heading out in the dead of winter without a coat on. If hot flashes are disrupting your sleep, or if you're dealing with good old-fashioned insomnia, then basic sleep hygiene practices can help; that includes turning off all screens at least an hour before bedtime, reserving your bedroom for sleep and intimacy, keeping your bedroom temperature around 60-65°; arranging your bedding in layers that can be added or removed as necessary, writing down any anxious thoughts in a journal to get them out of your head, having a relaxing bedtime routine, and trying Progressive Muscle Relaxation if you're having difficulty falling asleep. Best wishes for finding what works for you, and for continued health and healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register