Leakage in the night - even when I stop drinking 2 hrs before sleep time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leakage in the night - even when I stop drinking 2 hrs before sleep time Leakage in the night - even when I stop drinking 2 hrs before sleep time

Unread 04-27-2021, 10:58 AM
Leakage in the night - even when I stop drinking 2 hrs before sleep time

I have had some incontinence and urinary retention issues (need to strain for voiding and also low stream) since before the hysterectomy- in fact reason why hysterectomy was suggested as Urogyn suspected (yes she said no confirmation can be give but it’s a suspicion) that my fibroid (7X6 cm) was pressing against the bladder causing bladder distress etc.
now I am 2 weeks plus post surgery - I still have to strain to pee and I don’t have bladder fullness sensation - at times I feel like I need to go but not mostly. I also have some incontinence - but the issue is that during the day I don’t get a lot of incontinence - as I keep going to pee in a timed manner also like every 90-100 mins. However during the night I have been leaking urine - many times when I just change sides I leak some urine. Is it something anyone else has experienced too?? I told the doc and she said after 4 weeks I need to consult the urologist and Urogyn etc. I feel I am back to square one - I took a decision of such big surgery and now I am starting from where I went in. Feel frustrated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2021, 04:47 AM
Leakage in the night - even when I stop drinking 2 hrs before sleep time

I had a grapefruit sized fibroid pressing on my bladder that was causing issues. After my surgery, I simply wasn't getting the same "gotta go" urges as beforehand, so my bladder could get rather full before I'd feel like I had to go, and peeing on a regular schedule helped to retrain it to work as it was supposed to. I also had an episode of sudden leakage at the 2 week mark, which I attributed to my bladder still adjusting to all the extra space; after that, it settled down quite nicely, and I had no further incidents. For nighttime leakage, I recommend establishing a 3 hour liquid curfew, avoiding caffeine and alcohol, which have a diuretic effect, and peeing right before going to bed whether you feel like you have to or not. Best wishes for resolving this soon, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 05-03-2021, 02:48 PM
Re: Leakage in the night - even when I stop drinking 2 hrs before sleep time

Between bladder spasms and the hormone imbalance our surgeries caused (even if we kept our ovaries), our bladders are often quirky after surgery. We can't feel the usual sensations or they feel different to us, and the weakened pelvic floor might not be up to the task of assisting in bladder control yet.

In the weeks to come as you heal and as your hormones find their balance again, you might find that leakage is getting better or not an issue at all, or that being able to do Kegels once cleared by your doctor will help.

I think getting on board with a uro-gyn is beneficial for women as we age, for menopause can bring with it pelvic floor issues. I switched to a uro-gyn when my surgeon retired for that very reason. So far, I've not needed the pelvic floor expertise, but I'm glad to have in the back pocket so to speak.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register