Still So Painful at 5 Weeks Post Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still So Painful at 5 Weeks Post Hysterectomy Still So Painful at 5 Weeks Post Hysterectomy

Unread 05-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Still So Painful at 5 Weeks Post Hysterectomy

Hi Everyone.
Tomorrow marks 5 weeks since my LAVH and salpingectomy. I tried lowering the NSAIDS a few days ago but the pain is terrible without it, bad with a lower amount and just bearable with it full strength. I had much less pain earlier on, albeit I was consistently taking the meds then and not "chasing the pain." Has anyone else had pain like this so many weeks post op? I have not done anything new to cause more pain other than trying to lower the ibuprofen.
Thanks for reading and any comments/suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2021, 05:40 AM
Re: Still So Painful at 5 Weeks Post Op

First, let's nail down your level of pain - "so painful" and "terrible" mean different things to different women. We've got an article Communicating Pain After Hysterectomy which makes sure we're on the same page. Where are you on this scale? Needing narcotics is 6 or above, controlled by OTC meds is 5 or below. At 5 weeks, somewhere around the 3 to 5 area with some form of pain management is still okay. What are you taking, what's the dosage, how often? You mention NSAIDS, and while they help with pain, one of the tricks many of us use is to alternate NSAIDS with acetaminophen (Tylenol). Acetaminophen is one of the ingredients included in formulations like Percocet, and so continuing to alternate it is often the solution when NSAIDS don't completely do the job. Try alternating and see how that works.

I'm not sure how much you've been reading from others since you joined us - and I'm not sure if you've considered all that this surgery entails, but it's a good time to do so. The only thing "minimally invasive" about an LAVH is the incisions. Inside, you had 5 sets of ligaments and many blood vessels cut as well as organs removed, and what was cut has been stitched or cauterized. Recovery really does have to be thought of in terms of many weeks rather than days. It's no wonder we're our doctors' patients for up to 8 weeks and the timeline to full healing goes on longer. If you had any other procedure done (endo lesions removed, bladder suspension, A&P repairs), it could take longer to not feel as much pain, and there are indeed some Sisters who just have a slower pace of healing.

What have your activities been like? What do you do in a typical day? Two weeks ago you were asking about walking more and having problems getting more active. If you're pushing yourself to do more because you think you should be doing more, that might be contributing to your current level of pain. Unlike fitness training where pushing yourself makes you stronger, trying to push through recovery may cause more pain, swelling and even set you back. See our article What Can I Do to Rush Recovery Along? If you are doing more, pull back and rest for a day - see if that helps.

Having said all that, if your pain is increasing, not responding to resting, getting to the point where you can't control it, if it's accompanied by a fever, or you notice a discharge which seems off, call your doctor's office. You could be dealing with something like a seroma, hematoma or abscess.

I'd like to encourage you to connect with women who had surgery the same week as you at your Recovery Progress Reports for Mar 29-Apr 04. I would think you aren't alone in dealing with some level of pain at 5 weeks.

Unread 05-05-2021, 12:37 PM
Re: Still So Painful at 5 Weeks Post Hysterectomy

if the pain is that bad, you should let your dr. know. at 5 weeks you shouldn't be having that much pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2021, 08:59 PM
Still So Painful at 5 Weeks Post Hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue View Post
if the pain is that bad, you should let your dr. know. at 5 weeks you shouldn't be having that much pain.
I will do that! Thank you.
Unread 05-06-2021, 12:32 AM
Re: Still So Painful at 5 Weeks Post Hysterectomy

I am 5 weeks same surgery and also have really really bad pain that starts in the afternoon through evening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register