Stay away from Ibuprofin?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stay away from Ibuprofin?? Stay away from Ibuprofin??

Unread 05-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Stay away from Ibuprofin??

I had my pre-opt today and my Dr suggested the only thing that is acceptable is Tylenol. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2007, 06:45 PM

Same here no Ibuprofin 2 weeks before and if in pain take tylenol
Unread 05-31-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchiePoo
My DR has told me not take any ibuprofin 6 weeks out from my surgery date. Has anyone else been told this? If so, is there any medication I can take? My Lortabs, suddenly, make me sick and are not really helping. But can I take tylenol for headaches? I have not been able to reach the DR and am afraid to take anything else.
Thanks in advance!!
The reason your dr. doesn't want you to take any ibuprofin is because it can cause bleeding after surgery. I'm surprised that he is making you wait so long. I was told when I was released from the hospital that I could take Tylenol or Advil-ibuprofin.

Before you take anything, you should call your pharmacist. They are the ones that know, especially if you can't get in touch with your dr. Tylenol should be fine, but again, DON'T take anything until talking to someone.

I'm trying to remember what I was told before my surgery. I think I was told no ibuprofin 2 weeks before surgery. Just Tylenol. Good luck. Hope you feel better. I get migraines too and they are miserable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2007, 07:18 PM

Ditto, what has already been posted. I take five different Rx meds and was told the NSAID was the only one I had to stop taking five days prior.
Unread 05-31-2007, 07:26 PM
meds pre-op

I was given a list (whole page) of meds that shouldn't be taken! I had the cramps really bad pre op and was told to take tylenol

mshowdy
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser
Call your doctor ASAP and ask what you should do.
I called the after hours number tonight. My doc happened to be the one on call. He said that I could take it til Monday if necessary. Tylenol would be better if I could.

I will do my anaprox one more day. That should be the worst of the pain, then I can switch to tylenol.

At first, he said "that's okay, we're just going to cauterize it."

"You're going to do WHAT????"
"I'm sorry. That must have been a brain fart; I was thinking of a process I'm doing tomorrow. "

I guess my once a year visits aren't enough to be memorable. Hopefully, there won't be anything except an exceptional recovery for him to remember me by this time either.
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:30 PM

I was told none 4 days before surgery.
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:50 PM

I was prescribed ibuprofen by my DR.
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:51 PM

i also did not know about this until the say of my surgery... i was taking aiborne to avoid a cold, good thing i ran out a few days before my surgery or would have had to reschedule... airborne has something in it that is also a blood thinner.
Unread 05-31-2007, 09:39 PM

Mine hasn't said anything about it and Motrin is about all I take these days.. hmm.. tylenol never seems to have any effect on my pain. Guess that' something for me to ask too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register