Scheduled LSH when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery? when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery?

Unread 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Re: when u get to the hospital what happens the 1.5 hrs before surgery?

Mine was supposed to be outpatient, but they knicked an artery with the camera, and I had to stay the night. I hated having to stay the night. I told my husband that our hotel room in New Orleans during Mardi Gras was much quieter than the hospital at night, and my bed was super-uncomfortable. I would have loved to have been outpatient.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2012, 07:26 AM

my surgery was scheduled for 8:30am and they asked me to be at hospital by 6am, to prep early for surgery...one of my worries was the catheter i heard about, and wondered if they were going to put it in while i was awake, but no thankgoodness they put it in while your asleep...so upon arrival at hospital, i checked in at front desk,,then was sent to another room for lots and lots of pre op question, bp taken, and she put my wrists bands with my name and allergies on my wrist, and she asked if i need a relaxing pill and amazingly enough i didnt need one which i thought for sure i was going to need lots cuz i was freaking out all week about this surgery, but when it actually came to the night of and day of i was calm, doc did give me prescription for 5 ativan before surgery and all i had was the lowest dose possible like 0.5the night before and same in morn, so i still have the rest of them. but anyway so ya i didnt need anything else which is a miracle for me praise God. so after that the nurse sent me to another area where i was given a hospital gown and told to put all my clothes in a bag and wait in one of the beds for another nurse to arrive, than another person comes to me asks my name and what surgery ime having and other questions, then after some time they bring me to the another room into another bed and ask more questions and they put warm bands on my calves that massage the legs during surgery, and another nurse and the anestesiologist asks more questions and keeps things calm, then they have me get up and walk into the OR room to my operating bed, lol that was first for me walking into the OR room on my own was weird as i thought they would have me in wheel chair lol,,anyway so i get up on the bed and they start putting iv in me and talk to me calmy and my doc came over and held my hand and talked with me..and the last words i remember was talking about something i read here on hystersisters and then i woke up in recovery..wow i cant believe its been almost 4wks since that day..women are strong to go through what we go through and actually be able to smile, laugh, love, cry and share about our experiences later..to say ive been through that is so totally amazing, and my thanks goes to the Lord God Almighty whom i know watches over me...God Bless you and Peace be with you as you await your surgery and during your surgery..
Unread 04-04-2012, 05:26 PM

First things first-I wasn't shaved, and they put the Foley in after I was asleep.

I was asked to arrive by 5:30am for a 7:30am surgery-RALH, kept tubes and ovaries.

Pre-op: I gave a urine sample, got a cool heated hospital gown, had some bloodwrok drawn and an IV placed, met with my doctor and the anaesthesiologist, and hung out with my DH and my mom until it was time to go. Also I recited my name and birthdate about 1000 times! LOL

I was wheeled to the OR, moved to the operating table and given "something to relax me". Then I woke up in recovery.

I was nervous about the catheter, too-I'd never had one before. I felt like I had to pee in recovery, so I asked a few times if I had a catheter. The nurse said the "need to pee" feeling is just irritation from the catheter, and the feeling did pass eventually. I had the Foley removed about 6 hours post-op, and it didn't hurt.

Best of luck to you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM

I had to arrive at 8:30 for a 10:30 surgery (TAH) I had done the paper work and blood work a few days before. They took me back to pre op had me change into a gown, the lovely support stockings and put the leg pumps on to prevent blood clots. They gave me a bunch of new bracellets :-P ( ID, blood type, and allergies). They then hooked me up to the ekg and asked what kind of surgery i was having. Then another nurse came in asked the same surgery question and started my IV. My DH was able to come back then and he my mom and dad took turns staying with me. During this time I met the anesthesiologist, same surgery question and I told her i was afraid of nausea and she said she would give me a patch for that. Next my doctor came in and he asked the same surgery question as well as
asking what else we were taking. Right before I went into the OR i was given a sedative and I remember being wheeled in looking around then came the mask and the next thing I knew I was waking up in recovery with a cathter and new hair cut down below. It all goes by very quickly.
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM

I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 am for my 7:30 am LSH. This is *not* a morning household (we're newspaper people), so that's going to be tough going!

When I had my endometrioma taken out by lap two years ago, the procedures were pretty much what people have described above, so I'm expecting/hoping it'll be the same for my LSH (different doc, but same hospital).

When I was wheeled into the OR and they were moving me off the gurney, I looked up at the bright lights and said, "I feel like this is the opening of the 'Six Million Dollar Man!' " The nurses laughed, and one of them said, "You're not old enough to remember that!" Everyone laughed again, and that was the last thing I remembered. Nice way to go under.
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:50 AM

Went for my pre op at the hospital. I felt fortunate cause I was back there for work so I had an idea what to expect. Things went seemlessly. I went in they asked about my meds, surgery, history. Did lab work. I asked for a butterfly needle- they r smaller and makes labs almost pAinless. I gave a urine sample. Hard to pee in that little cup. Chest X-ray - that girl was so nice she remembered me when I had my hand xrayed 10 yrs ago wow! Talked to the nurse and asked fifty plus questions. No shaving a foley in while ur asleep and she said everyone will ask the same questions repeatedly for safety. She even offered to work pacu that day for me if it would make me feel more comfortable and be my nurse. They gave big recyclers in the rooms so I sat back and lounged while watching hbo on my phone. I was a little nervous but it went seemlessly . I asked her if I was odd for requestiining an all women team and she reassured me she would too since we all work together. Even the manager sat with me. Felt like a queen. So now I have a little under 2 weeks til h day. Period is STILL late ugh 3 weeks late! That has never happened ever.... have pains no period and am bloated touchy still nothing. thanks everyone for sharing ur stories. It is interesting to hear all the adventures .
Unread 04-05-2012, 08:00 AM

Upon arriving at hospital I was go glad to be able to actually go to my room (the same one I was in after surgery). I had to be there at 6 am, so I had the floor night nurse to start getting me ready. She took my vitals and I had to get an enema , but it really wasn't as bad as I feared and a betadine douche that I was able to do myself. She had trouble getting my IV in (the vein blew), so she just waited for the day nurse to come in at 7 to take care of that. I am a hard stick, but thankfully I asked and she numbed my hand and was able to get it in on her first try. At around 10, I was taken to the holding room, which was actually the recovery room. I was taken down in my own hospital bed. While there they brought me another warm blanket, put a patch behind my ear my nausea and 2 anesthesiologists came and spoke with me and checked my mouth and throat for incubation. Finally at 11, the anesthesiologist came and put something in my drip. They started taking me to the OR, but I must have went out before hand, because I do not even remember getting to the operating room. LOL!!

My foley was put in and taken out during surgery and I did wake up to realize I had been partially shaved. I had the daVinci, so I think that was only done because they had problems getting my enlarged uterus out via my vagina and I think they were worried they may have to make an incision. Thankfully they did not and I only have 4 small incisions in my belly.

But the time I had to wait really went fast for me. I know it is easier said than done, but try to relax and know that the surgery will be over soon and then you can pamper yourself and recuperate.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register