Full hysterectomy on July 31st and terrified - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Full hysterectomy on July 31st and  terrified Full hysterectomy on July 31st and terrified

Unread 07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Full hysterectomy on July 31st and terrified

To all who are awaiting their surgeries -- I know it sounds cliche, but this IS the hardest part.

I'm almost 3 weeks post-op for TAH and worked myself into a lather beforehand with all the "what-if's" until i found this site. Read it all! It saved me from lots of surprises and prepared me for what I should ask, what to take, how to get organized beforehand, and how to handle all these conflicting emotions about being glad to ridding pain, but scared out of my wits to deal with the stuff that will get me there.

Here are the things that helped me the most:
- Yes, you probably will have to do some kind of oral bowel prep or Fleet enema the night beforehand. I never did that before but it was gentle and fine. Don't worry about that one.

- Get your house in order, literally and figuratively. Stock the frig, change the sheets, write out a list of the things that you need to have done and who's responsbility it is to do it, fix any of the little stuff that you can overlook now but will drive you crazy when you CAN'T do them when you get home (mine was the grout in the shower!). You'll thank yourself later.

- Get familiar with the 1 - 10 pain scale so you can speak the language of the nurses when you're at the castle. It will help both of you.

- Prepare for the "not so pleasant" stuff during your stay and don't get freaked out by it. Yes, you'll have an IV -- and be thankful that you do. Yes, you'll probably have a catheter but usually only for a day or two -- and it's a blessing that you don't have to get out of bed to pee actually! I thought they would all hurt, but none of them did.

- Yes, you'll be on pain meds of some kind or another. They help. Yes, it will be noisier at night in the hospital than at your house. Will make you eager to pee, fart and walk enough for them to allow you to go home!

- Once home, give yourself permission to heal. Ask for help guilt-free. And ask for some solitude when you need it. Both are necessary.

- Walk! Even if it's to the kitchen and back, go a little further each day if you can. Helps with the gas that is pent up inside after this type of surgery. And each step gets you closer to being you again.

- Become one with whatever will get your bowels moving. For some it's stool softeners, for others (like me and my amazing nurse who gave me this suggestion) it's a cup of prune juice. Not the tastiest thing, but definitely worth the results.

- If they don't give you one, ask the nurse to give you a belly band. Or buy the Swelly Belly band from this site (same thing, I think). I still wear mine at night and it just keeps everything tight and jiggle-free. A security blanket in a way!?

- Allow yourself to feel whatever you feel. That's your right and this is your time. Waiting is a bear, but like most of us, you'll feel so much better once you're through that first week post-op. Heck, they've done millions of these surgeries so they pretty much have it down pat. We should probably be thankful it's not some big mysterious event (at least to them!).

So...those are just a few of my thoughts in an effort to be a little helpful. I learned so much from others, just hope I can repay a few in return.

Peace and hugs -- you'll be GREAT!
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2007, 07:13 PM

What a great note, Cat! I wish I had read it before my surgery! I agree with everything you said! To all you ladies in waiting, Read it again and again! You WILL be GREAT!
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement!
It really does help being able to talk with someone who's gone through these same feelings.
Please stay in touch!
lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Hi everyone, it is me scaredy cat, still scared but doing ok. You all are wonderful and helping more than I can express. I am having ovaries and everything taken out. My doc says he thinks he can do it vaginally and insurance will only let me stay in the hospital 23 hours. Someone in power really should look into why the insurance companies dictates your health care not your doctor. If he cannot do it vaginally and I wake up totally shocked that I have 1,000 stitches, you see due to polycystic ovary disease and childbirth, as well as insulin resistance, I am sure not my addiction to fudge bars I am a BBW (BIG BEAUTIFUL WOMAN) so lordy if he has to cut into my big belly, hopefully they have enough materials in the hospital to put this Humpty Dumpty back together again !!! Okay going to stay positive and only will require vaginal operation !!! I told him I absolutely can only be out of work for a week, he laughed at me. I am one of the lucky ones, I work from home doing transcription, but no typing means no money, no paid off time for me. He said at least a few weeks off but I since I could work, rest, work rest and do not have to drive I would probably be okay..........we will see. Okay, need to get some sleep. I have narcolepsy, that is a whole other wild story !! (yes I know I am a mess !!) so not sleeping is never my problem. I have already made new friends here that I appreciate and look forward to keeping in touch with long after we all have recovered. That is wonderful in itself as I am in the middle of a nasty bit of depression of the empty nest syndrome, so need all the new friends I can use to chase the "Where did my babies go" syndrome. love to you all and cannot wait to read this post tomorrow !!!! I don't get out much so it really does not take much to amuse me and make me smile !!!!
Unread 07-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Hi Scaredycat, I just had my hysterectomy last week. I know it sounds strange but my visit to the castle was actually pleasant. The nurses were very nice and made sure that I was comfortable. Even the IV was done with a local so I didn't feel anything. I have the bikini line incision in the front of my abdomin. I used to have terrible cramps and I think the pain after the surgery was much less than the cramps.

Some of the tips that I've read on this site were very helpful. I heard that chewing gum reduces the gas, so I chewed gum as soon as I could. I heard that sleeping with a body pillow helps after the surgery, and it totally does. I wish you all the best.
Unread 07-10-2007, 09:59 PM

Dear SC, I like you had no major medical issues until now, 2 children vaginally and tonscils out when a little girl. I am 56 and I read everything online to see what to expect and this site was the best ever. I had robotic surgery and I was out on the 2nd day and at home. I had a radical with lymph nodes because of endometrial cancer. I was scared to death even when I was in pre-op I wanted to get up and leave.
My husband is 20 yrs my senior and a retired Marine, need I say more? The surgery interrupted his schedule and he didn't know what to do with himself. Make sure to leave them with something to read about what you are going through it helps them to help you.
Unread 07-10-2007, 10:08 PM

Good luck to all of you with upcoming surgery, and do read everything on this site that can help you through the days and nights to come.
Unread 07-10-2007, 10:09 PM

Dont worry but I know thats easier said than done. Do you have a 'Healing Touch' practioner in your area? Its like a massage but with very light or no touch, sounds wierd but works amazing. I had op 6/29 & my lady came to my home the day before &would have come to hospital day after but she was out of town so had to wait 2 days. The one prior op is to calm you etc & post op helps with pain & healing. As I said amazing. really.
A major hospital here is training all their nurses & you get it FREE, mine cost me $60 a time, so check with your hospital. healingtouchinternational.org can give you more info & qualified people in your area..its a worldwide thing.
You will amaze yourself...be strong...Hugs
A
Unread 07-11-2007, 05:13 AM

Good morning ladies, waking up to Cat's post was so very pleasant, thank you. I feel that I will be able to get through this day a whole lot better now. Did my pre-op Monday and my pre-admit at hosp yesterday so now that is outa my hair...speaking of hair.....thats my treat of the day. It will be a while before I will be able to, or probably want to get into see my hair stylist. Last night's treat was ice cream, and there is leftovers in the freezer, lol. This too shall pass....easier said huh? Have a good day all
Unread 07-11-2007, 06:54 AM

I went and had a pedicure before I went in for my surgery (but then they put those attractive stockings on me so I wasn't able to see them!). Treat yourself well and you will be fine! Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register