Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 09, 2020 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 09, 2020 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 09, 2020

Unread 08-09-2020, 01:52 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 09, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channcie View Post
My name is Channcie. I am having a laparoscopic vaginal assist surgery on Tuesday, they hope to keep my ovaries. I am nervous about the recovery because I am obese and diabetic. I am ready to stop having painful periods and cramps all month long!
Hi Channcie,
I hear your concerns! Below are a couple articles that may be helpful for you:

Diabetes & Hysterectomy
Special Considerations for Overweight Patients

I'm sending hugs for a safe surgery & uneventful recovery!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2020, 01:54 PM

First Surgery?

Hi Ladies! I remember my first time under general anesthesia and how scared I felt. Even many surgeries later, I still get some anxiety as I head into the OR. It's just not a normal activity, no matter how many times you need to do it!

Please remember, if you have any questions or concerns: Call Your Surgeon. The office staff are there to address any worries you may have. It's ok to call just to ask *one more question*. This is your body, your life, and it's totally ok to speak up.

Here are a few articles to let you know what to expect when you arrive at the hospital.

First Surgery: Hysterectomy
5 Ways to Prepare & First Surgery

If Hysterectomy is Your First Surgery Part 1
If Hysterectomy is Your First Surgery Part 2
If Hysterectomy is Your First Surgery Part 3
I hope this helps! The waiting is really the hardest part, because of all the unknowns. Once you are on the Other Side, it's a big relief. Remember you are not alone. There are many ladies here in the same boat with you, and we are always here when you need a hug.

Unread 08-09-2020, 03:18 PM

Hello Everyone! My name is Maggie and I am 58 years young.After being in menopause for 4 years, I started spotting again in March. After all the tests, my diagnosis was "suspicious for cancer". Which has now led me here. I am having a Davinci hysterectomy with vaginal assist on August 11. The plan is to remove the uterus, cervix, tubes and possibly the ovaries. . I am struggling to make the decision to remove the ovaries. My surgeon said that I am in the grey area for removal. If I was 70 then I should remove them, if I were 40 keep them, but I fall right in the middle. At this stage of my life I'm not sure what good they are doing for me anyway. I am leaning more towards removing them only because the reason for this hysterectomy is "suspicious for cancer". I suppose it should be a no-brainer to remove them, but for some reason I am struggling with it. Good luck to all my fellow HysterSisters having their surgeries this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Hello Ladies,

I'm having a Laparoscopic Total Hysterectomy with the possibility of removing one of both ovaries this Wednesday. I've had a laparoscopy to remove endometriosis a couple of years ago and now it's back along with a submucosal fibroid, I also have recurring nabothian follicles which cause bleeding during intercourse. I'm 41 and my endo pain effects my day to day with either sharp pains or discomfort when sitting regardless of whether or not I have my period. I am looking forward to being pain free and resuming activity once this is all over. I hope above all this is my last surgery. This site and everyone's experiences has been so helpful in helping me decide on this surgery, I have moments when I wake up in the middle of the night and suddenly think it's a mistake, that I'm fine...and then I start moving around and the dull ache and sharp pains return. I can't believe how much my hormones are fighting common sense. My husband suggested we sit down and draw up a decision tree ( like a flow chart) so I can reference it when in doubt. I am doing my best to keep busy and not think about it and crying. I'm getting myself ready for the surgery today and treating myself to some scented candles, lovely herbal teas and new pyjamas.

I just want to wish you all good luck this week. We'll be extra fragile in already fragile times.I hope everyone's op goes well and I wish you all speedy recovery.

xo
Unread 08-09-2020, 03:56 PM

Fire Lily,
"We'll be extra fragile in already fragile times."
That is so wise and helps me understand why I'm taking this so hard. Thank you for your wisdom! Good luck!
Unread 08-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 09, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizruth View Post
Fire Lily,
"We'll be extra fragile in already fragile times."
That is so wise and helps me understand why I'm taking this so hard. Thank you for your wisdom! Good luck!
Thank-you Elizruth. wishing you Good Luck
Unread 08-09-2020, 05:00 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Aug 09, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lily View Post
Hello Ladies,

I'm having a Laparoscopic Total Hysterectomy with the possibility of removing one of both ovaries this Wednesday. I've had a laparoscopy to remove endometriosis a couple of years ago and now it's back along with a submucosal fibroid, I also have recurring nabothian follicles which cause bleeding during intercourse. I'm 41 and my endo pain effects my day to day with either sharp pains or discomfort when sitting regardless of whether or not I have my period. I am looking forward to being pain free and resuming activity once this is all over. I hope above all this is my last surgery. This site and everyone's experiences has been so helpful in helping me decide on this surgery, I have moments when I wake up in the middle of the night and suddenly think it's a mistake, that I'm fine...and then I start moving around and the dull ache and sharp pains return. I can't believe how much my hormones are fighting common sense. My husband suggested we sit down and draw up a decision tree ( like a flow chart) so I can reference it when in doubt. I am doing my best to keep busy and not think about it and crying. I'm getting myself ready for the surgery today and treating myself to some scented candles, lovely herbal teas and new pyjamas.

I just want to wish you all good luck this week. We'll be extra fragile in already fragile times.I hope everyone's op goes well and I wish you all speedy recovery.

xo
You don't know how many times I have second guessed my decision as well! I worry if I am doing the right thing, or I wonder if I should wait to see if things improve. I know the heavy periods will never get better, and I know I need my ovaries removed due to my history of cancer, but still I have a hard time accepting that removing my ovaries is the best option. It is scary to think of all the side effects. I hope and pray we get through this with very little difficulties! Stay strong!!!
Unread 08-09-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRey View Post
Good Day Everyone,
My name is Sara and I’m having a laparoscopic hysterectomy on Wednesday. I’ve got blood trapped in my uterus and one of my Fallopian tubes. I’m hoping to keep my ovaries as long as they look good. I’m super nervous about whatever pain will show up as I come out of anesthesia.
Sara

Your concern about pain after surgery is one which most ladies have. You will be Talking to the Anesthesiologist before Your Hysterectomy. This will give you the opportunity to let him/her know about your concern ... s/he will let you know the plan they have in place. The recovery room nurse will be watching you closely and will ask you what your pain level is on a scale from 1-10. Their concern is to keep your pain controlled.

on your surgery dear ... you are in our thoughts and prayers.
Unread 08-09-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizruth View Post
Hi Everyone,
My name is Liz and I'll be having a laparoscopic total hysterectomy on Wednesday (keeping ovaries). I have had fibroids for years and now my uterus is the size of an 18 week pregnancy, so it's time. For the last week I've been feeling pretty emotional, crying easily and having a tough time focusing on work. I'm nervous about taking care of myself afterward. I know I'm the type to overdo it and I'm scheduled to start teaching a college course on September 1. Hoping I can swing that because it's just 3 hours of class time a week. Good luck to everyone!
Liz. I am very much a pusher ... I totally understand your concern about doing too much. The recovery takes lots and lots of rest ... it is one you can't push through. Try to make sure you have easy things that you can throw in the Microwave. Prepare your recovery space with your books, phone/charger, remote, etc. Be sure to be caught up on your laundry and putting it away, put a clean set of sheets on your bed, and do any last minute cleaning (especially anything that would drive you nuts to see while you are recovering).

Do you have someone to check on you everyday and who could pick up meds for you if needed?

I'm glad you will be teaching remotely ... trying to make it around a college campus would be very difficult.

Unread 08-09-2020, 06:36 PM

I have enjoyed hearing from you all today. I was busy cleaning carpet, dusting everything and scrubbing bathrooms. I also made a grocery run for fruits and other healthy snacks and drinks for when i am home. The freezer is ready with some pre-made meals. All that is left to do is pack my bag and rest (haha) until Thursday morning. We've got this, ladies!
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register