Thank you candlelight, historylady and cindybd!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thank you candlelight, historylady and cindybd!!! Thank you candlelight, historylady and cindybd!!!

Unread 09-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Thank you candlelight, historylady and cindybd!!!

I had previously posted that a gynecologist told me I was not a candidate for lsh due to the size of my fibroid!

With your encouraging words ringing in my ears, I made an appt. with another doctor who told me she didn't have the experience to tackle my situation but she'd talk to a couple surgeons she knows....

Today Dr. 2 called to say that one of the surgeons thinks my situation is 'reasonable' and I have an appt. with him on the 20th of this month!

I can't thank you enough for your input. It really gave me the courage to seek the solution I really want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2004, 04:47 PM

I really applaud your desire to get the best healthcare, the best surgery, the best surgeon and determine the best options for you! Attagirl! Its what we encourage at hystersisters.com.

We are partners with our physicians as we explore our options....remembering that the helpful support provided at hystersisters.com isnt' to take the place of that valuable relationship with our doctors who know our situation, know our bodies and know our specific needs.

But just as a good reminder....members here can't determine if you are a good candidate or not for the much sought after LSH. Many women are simply not a good candidate...even if you found the expert, head guru of all LSH to do your surgery for you.

We are seeing more and more successful LSH surgeries performed....and with more and more members finding it a great way to have their hyst. Back in 1998 when this website was launched we had only a small handful of surgeries done this way represented on our site.

More and more surgeons are gaining experience with it and its a great thing. Less invasive procedure. Its a great thing...

But please remember that not all members are good candidates...and it would be a shame if you talked a doctor into doing a surgery he didn't feel you were a candidate for, only to be faced with difficult complications as a result of your insistence.

Remember...these surgeons do have the skills and education and our members have their experience. Better to go with the doctor for your own options....and go from there for the best results for your personal health.

The main thing...is healthy outcome. If that's through an LSH because your doctor thinks you are a great candidate, awesome! If that means a vaginal hyst because that is where your body fits best into the hyst spectrum, awesome too. If this means your doctor needs to see through the TAH because of other issues like the size of your fibroids, the tilt of your pelvis, the scare of cancer, etc....this is awesome too.

Length of recovery means little if horrible complications are created because of a type of surgery you insisted on when your doctors said noooooo. Ya know? And yes, I've seen complications...terrible stuff....from all types of hysts, including LSH.

The outcome of better health (even if the surgery type isn't your favoriite) is what we hope for here at hystersisters.com. There is no right nor wrong type of surgery....only what is best for you according to your team of doctors.

And hopefully in the next generations of medical research we won't need hysterectomies at all! Wouldn't that be great?

Again, I hope your second and third opinions concur with your desire for the LSH. But if they don't, this isn't a bad thing....as the ultimate goal is better health for you!

Hugs for a better health and super recovery,
Unread 09-08-2004, 01:37 PM

Hi, just saw your post, and how sweet of you to thank us. You are WELCOME!!

KAthy is right that if you are not a good candidate, don't be disappointed! But on the other hand, I am really happy that you have educated yourself about the options available to you. Too many ob-gyns don't do the surgery, so they never even bring it up as an option (which, as I recall, is what happened to you).

So go see that doc who does the LSH and let us know if he/she gives you the green light!

Cindybd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2004, 01:38 PM

Oh, and by the way, I don't think a doc would do the surgery if you're not a proper candidate in light of that doc's skill & experience level.

I looked back at your post, and it sounds to me like Doc. #1 is just uncertain of his/her skill at this new procedure.
Unread 09-08-2004, 02:18 PM
To Clarify

Doc #1 said it couldn't be done (which I believe really means by her or her colleagues)

Doc #2 said she didn't have the experience with this large of fibroid (I was disappointed but thrilled by her honesty and concern for my safety!)

Doc #2 is the one who located another surgeon (#3) who will meet with me (9/20) because he thinks my needs and HIS skills may mesh!

I have been greatly blessed by the input from the doctors I've met and even more greatly blessed by the information I've gained from this site. I have no intention of trying to get a doctor to give me a procedure that would be unsafe-just trying to find the 'right' combination for me.

Thank you all for being so generous with your time, your knowledge and your compassion! May you reap generously as you have sown!
Unread 09-08-2004, 02:22 PM

Just curious -- how large is your fibroid?
Unread 09-08-2004, 03:19 PM
I have 'at least' 3 fibroids

The largest is 7.7 X 6.3 X 5.8 cm in diameter according to my ultrasound report. The other two are 1.6 and 1.8 cm in diameter.
Unread 09-08-2004, 04:58 PM

Hi Cmouse,

Good luck. Our Hyster Sister thoughts are with you. In my case, I found the process of going to Drs. and collecting hyst information, emotionally challenging and confusing sometimes. So stay optimistic!!

I hope there is a light at the end of your tunnel, where you and a Dr. you trust, make a decision on a type of hyst that best suits your needs.

Best wishes,

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register