Is the Cervix removed in a partial hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is the Cervix removed in a partial hysterectomy Is the Cervix removed in a partial hysterectomy

Unread 11-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Is the Cervix removed in a partial hysterectomy

Hi Ladies - new to this board and all of this. My surgery is scheduled for 11/13. My dr. and I decided that the best type of surgery for me is a vaginal hysterctomy. She said she'll make 3 small incisions in my stomach area and remove the utereus vaginally along w/my tubes and possibly one ovary due to cysts on it. My question is we never talked about the cervix? Is this normal to removal with this type of surgery? I have no idea and hope someone can answer or do I have to call the dr?

Sorry if this is dumb question. Anxiety over the surgery has got me pretty worked up and I'm just trying to keep it together until the surgery.

Thanks!

Juli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Is the Cervix removed in a partial hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliLynn View Post
Hi Ladies - new to this board and all of this. My surgery is scheduled for 11/13. My dr. and I decided that the best type of surgery for me is a vaginal hysterctomy. She said she'll make 3 small incisions in my stomach area and remove the utereus vaginally along w/my tubes and possibly one ovary due to cysts on it. My question is we never talked about the cervix? Is this normal to removal with this type of surgery? I have no idea and hope someone can answer or do I have to call the dr?

Sorry if this is dumb question. Anxiety over the surgery has got me pretty worked up and I'm just trying to keep it together until the surgery.

Thanks!

Juli
Totally not a dumb question!!!! They are removing mine and I am having the robotic. That is a question for your doctor though. I'm not sure what common practice is. Maybe every doctor is different.
Unread 11-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Re: Is the Cervix removed in a partial hysterectomy

Great question! One for your doctor, too. The cervix is optional. I know that occasional spotting can still occur if they keep the cervix, so I opted to have it out. You don't need it. Others on here can chime in related to sex questions, etc. But definitely discuss the option with your doctor and go with their advice. I brought along all of the feedback I got from this board so I was able to ask some pretty directed questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2014, 04:10 PM

That was something I had to clarify with my surgeon too. Apparently some doctors feel that leaving the cervix intact provides more stability and less chance of prolapse in the future. However from what I've read, the jury is still out on whether or not it actually does help. Also if you have had abnormal Pap smears (I have) it is a little risky to keep the cervix. I was horrified at the idea of going through all of this, only to keep having paps and biopsies, etc. Not to mention the chance that I might still have a mini period! Ugh. Literally as I was about to be rolled into the OR I was saying "Make sure you take out my cervix! I don't want my cervix!" 😄
Unread 11-03-2014, 04:11 PM

Lap-assisted, da Vinci, or abdominal allow the option of removing the cervix or leaving it in place, but vaginal always involves removal of the cervix.
Unread 11-03-2014, 04:11 PM

Most of the time if surgery is done vaginally, the cervix goes. Most people, including me, dont realize the cervix is a small part of your uterus!! A quick call to the dr will ease your mind to that. Its something a lot of people dont know! Best wishes.
Unread 11-03-2014, 07:16 PM

If you are having the uterus removed vaginally, that includes the cervix. The cervix is simply the bottom portion of your uterus that protrudes into your vagina.
While most hysterectomies are total, or include the whole uterus cervix included, there is a trend to now to try to keep the cervix in only younger women with no history of abnormal,paps, or no history of hpv- that is called a supracervical or partial hysterectomy. However, with the fall of the morcellator (a machine that chews up your uterus so it can come out through one of the tiny holes for the surgery) this will make it much more difficult. There is mixed evidence that keeping the cervix helps with preventing pelvic floor problems.
The only other way to do that kind of procedure would be to manually chop the uterus into small enough pieces that they can pull it out through the holes, or to do an open procedure requiring a larger incision.

I had robotic laparoscopic surgery, kept my cervix, and pulled the pieces out through one of the tiny incision. I had zero risk factors which is why he even offered it to me and I was happy for that option.

Your surgery is what my regular GYN recommended for me. It is what I assumed I would have. It is a very good option.
Unread 11-06-2014, 09:17 AM

Talked to my surgeon. She said the cervix has to go - no option. I have Hyperplasia and it will return if the cervix is kept.

Thanks all!!

Juli

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register