Upcoming hysterectomy 1/18 - any thoughts would be welcomed - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/18 - any thoughts would be welcomed Upcoming hysterectomy 1/18 - any thoughts would be welcomed

Unread 01-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/18 - any thoughts would be welcomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corlynea View Post
Hello Sistas

I finally had all my results back yesterday and was given my hysterectomy date for March 2016. I can't believe they are booked up.

I have 10 cm fibroid on my uterus that i was told is the size of a 5 months pregnancy (20 weeks), 2 small cysts on my ovaries and 2 gallstones which is a separate thing. Gallstones aren't in my family that I know of.

I was also given the choice to keep my cervix or not. The surgeon says it doesn't matter either way and I can decide the day of my surgery. She was asking a lot of sexual questions for my hubby and I and honestly we have no idea if it makes a difference or not. I heard having orgasms without a uterus is different after removal...not as deep. So I am worried about that for sure but don't know what to do for the cervix at this point. I would like to not have to worry about cancer but if I have no issues before or family history then maybe I should.

She is keeping ovaries. I am still getting them tho having meno symptoms and periods are light.

Having this community has been such a blessing. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
Hello there!
I am very new to this site as well as having my TVH on 1/7/2016. I had some similar items with a 14 wk uterus and still having cycles. I am still very concerned about the whole sexual issue as well. In my case, I had some normal paps and then I would have some moderate dysplasia's. My cervix was also very prolapsed causing severe pain. With all that said, my GYN suggested to take my cervix and tubes but leave my ovaries because she said studies have shown most uterine, cervical, and ovarian cancer have a strong relationship to the tubes than the actual ovaries. I did lots of research for myself prior to surgery in medical journals or web sites that use .gov to make sure my information was more accurate. As a nurse, I also had to think about my family history and asked my parents as much as I could to help decide. Please let me know how your doing and hang in there! 😉
Marianneg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2016, 04:24 PM

Hi there!
First, let me say that I am very new to this site and I had a TVH w/ cervix and tubes removed. My ovaries were left in place (at least, I hope).
Second, hang in there! I waited 2 yrs to have one done due to trying everything to relieve ALL of my aches and pains.
Third, as a nurse I have to say do your homework. Make sure you get information from medical journals and web sites that also have .gov. As well as second or third opinions. Most importantly, ask your parents or close family members about your family history! I can not say enough about this! We all take in knowledge differently and asking lots of questions that can further explain what they perceived as their diagnosis can be totally different from "what" the true diagnosis was recorded.
Lastly, I decided to have my cervix and tubes removed and left my ovaries because my GYN explained that strong research studies show that the Fallopian tubes have a strong correlation to ovarian, uterine, and cervical cancers. After my surgery, my diagnosis resulted from pathology of severe prolapsed uterus with moderate dysplasia's and adenomyosis.
Keep us updated and I will be thinking about you!

Marianneg
Unread 01-17-2016, 05:21 AM
Re: Hysterectomy 1/18 - any thoughts would be welcomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia500 View Post
Just to be safe call the surgeons office and ask to have urine tested for uti. I'm sure it's your nerves, when I was anxious pre fibroid I'd have to pee every 1.5-2 hours. I don't know if you still get your period but before mine would come my fibroid felt harder and belly bigger, maybe you are due soon? I'm not going to sugar coat it, you will start to feel really anxious now that it's fast approaching, I was calm and prepared like you then the day before I was a wreck. It's normal just let your sis and husband reassure you it will be ok don't hold in your fears talk them thru with a clear minded person to calm you down. Once I was in preop area I was much calmer. You are going to do great, your recovery will be smooth. Keep thoughts positive as much as possible it helps calm the nerves. Good luck, write on this thread with your update so we know how you're doing.
Sorry, I just saw your message. I felt better after 2 days. You are right. I remembered before my period my stomach would get really big and I'd have to watch what I eat and drink even more. I haven't had a period since the end of Nov. but that one master 3 weeks. I'm definitely due and hope I don't get it today or tomorrow...which is my surgery date.

I'm thankful for being the first surgery of the day, which means there shouldn't be any delays. I'm just praying I can get a private room. It's one of the main stresses but since I'm there till Thursday it's a priority for me. But I will adapt if I have to of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I just saw your message. I felt better after 2 days. You are right. I remembered before my period my stomach would get really big and I'd have to watch what I eat and drink even more. I haven't had a period since the end of Nov. but that one master 3 weeks. I'm definitely due and hope I don't get it today or tomorrow...which is my surgery date.

I'm thankful for being the first surgery of the day, which means there shouldn't be any delays. I'm just praying I can get a private room. It's one of the main stresses but since I'm there till Thursday it's a priority for me. But I will adapt if I have to of course.
Don't panic if you get your period they still do the surgery. I got mine the night before!! I told the nurse and they gave me mesh underwear and pad to put on under my gown. When I woke up not only was my uterus gone but so was my period-FOREVER! At least I got to say farewell to it before my surgery LOL.

I hope you have a private room too. I was very fortunate to have connections at the hospital. I
Had a private room which was so nice, use of my own bathroom too because once that catheter comes out you'll want to start drinking and peeing to flush your bladder. Remeber if they have the leg cuffs that massage your calves try to use those whenever you are in bed, keeps blood pumping to prevent blood clots.

I was in for two nights it's not so bad to have the extra day cause if anything is bothering you or goes wrong the nurses are right there. Getting up is not easy the hospital bed with rails will help.

Good luck!!!
Unread 01-17-2016, 05:45 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/18 - any thoughts would be welcomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianneg View Post
Hi there!
First, let me say that I am very new to this site and I had a TVH w/ cervix and tubes removed. My ovaries were left in place (at least, I hope).
Second, hang in there! I waited 2 yrs to have one done due to trying everything to relieve ALL of my aches and pains.
Third, as a nurse I have to say do your homework. Make sure you get information from medical journals and web sites that also have .gov. As well as second or third opinions. Most importantly, ask your parents or close family members about your family history! I can not say enough about this! We all take in knowledge differently and asking lots of questions that can further explain what they perceived as their diagnosis can be totally different from "what" the true diagnosis was recorded.
Lastly, I decided to have my cervix and tubes removed and left my ovaries because my GYN explained that strong research studies show that the Fallopian tubes have a strong correlation to ovarian, uterine, and cervical cancers. After my surgery, my diagnosis resulted from pathology of severe prolapsed uterus with moderate dysplasia's and adenomyosis.
Keep us updated and I will be thinking about you!

Marianneg
Thank you Marianneg

I appreciate your advise. I am a research fanatic. Which can be good and bad depending if the Sister is a stressor. I don't believe I am and know that everyone is different. It really helps going into something unknown and makes me feel better. My friends say stop researching but they don't understand. The first thing I did is consult my family history and my mom had a hysterectomy in her 40s. She's no longer with us so unfortunately I can't ask her. Urg My family on my dad's side seem to be in great health and I think I will be fine too.

Thanks for letting me know what your GYN said as mine basically wasn't wanting to commit either way and gave me the decision. How do you make a decision on your own without the pros and cons? So I'm keeping my cervix just in case. I'm praying I don't have prolapse issues or bowl issues. So far they've been working.

I will keep you posted.
Unread 01-17-2016, 06:17 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/18 - any thoughts would be welcomed

Thanks Patricia500. Yes I remembered the leg cuffs, I will ask them. Thanks for the advise really drinking to flush.

Talk soon.
Unread 01-30-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks Patricia500. Yes I remembered the leg cuffs, I will ask them. Thanks for the advise really drinking to flush.

Talk soon.
How are you doing? Have been thinking about you and hope the surgery went smoothly. Please send an update when you feel up to it. I do hope all went smoothly and that you are feeling better each day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register