Upcoming November hysterectomy: Things I should have after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming November hysterectomy: Things I should have after surgery Upcoming November hysterectomy: Things I should have after surgery

Unread 09-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Upcoming November hysterectomy: Things I should have after surgery

I am scheduled for surgery on Nov 3. I assume that posting in the preparing for hysterectomy thread is correct. I'm sure I'll get dinged if it isn't.

I am just trying to prepare and make sure I have what I need. the articles have been great but anything that you all did that helped you would be great to know.

For example, did anyone do the wraps (for the belly)?
Does anyone know how long "swelly belly" lasts?

I have read a ton about constipation and your suggestions are on the list!

What about clothing or pillows? Anything to help with sleeping positions?

Someone posted a squatty potty....I'm so getting one!

Thanks for any advice ya'll can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Re: Things I should have after surgery

Entertainment. I stockpiled books I'd been meaning to read and small mending projects that could be done sitting down. You'll have more time on your hands during recovery than you're used to, so plan ahead on how you'd like to use it. :-)

For me, swelly belly lasted about three months but was minor the last month. I never used nor wanted a binder.

I got diarrhea instead of constipation. Yes, this can happen. Plain yogurt with active cultures is your friend.

Clothing - I just wore loose-fitting T-shirts, pants and shorts.

Pillows - a hystersister's best friend! I hit a sale on throw pillows at WalMart and bought six for $30. I used them in a variety of ways to make wherever I wanted to sit or lie down more comfortable.

I slept on my side starting the first night after surgery with a pillow tucked against my belly for support. I slept that way until 13 days after surgery, when my 38 staples came out. (I had an abdominal hysterectomy.) After that I slept on my stomach.
Unread 09-12-2017, 01:36 PM

OMG THANK YOU!!!!!!

That was beyond helpful!! I need to make a pillow run. I totally forgot about entertainment!!! I guess I need to get some books etc. I will have my computer and my family got me a hospital table that swings over the bed in case I need to log in for work.

thank you so much!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2017, 01:44 PM

Almost everyone forgets about entertainment! It's pretty common to see posts from women who got the pillows, the stool softeners, the freezer stocked with pre-made meals - and now they're sitting there with nothing to do and they're bored because they forgot the entertainment.
Unread 09-12-2017, 01:50 PM

For example, did anyone do the wraps (for the belly)?

I didn't do the binder. Did not like it, just used support panties when I was going to be extra active

Does anyone know how long "swelly belly" lasts?
Mine started improving at about 6 weeks.

What about clothing or pillows? Anything to help with sleeping positions?

Mine was in June, I wore sundresses pretty much every day for the first weeks. Anything loose and comfortable will work. No special pillows, no problem with sleeping positions

I really didn't do much to prepare ahead of time. My dr gave me the expectation of an active recovery, so I didn't expect to need much, and I really didn't. I was up and around and felt really good, so was able to do normal things, minus of course activities that were restricted by the dr. I was worried about not being able to drive, my husband was working, so I arranged for 2 friends and my sister to go out with me (and drive) for the first week. After that I was cleared to drive and did my own errands. Best of luck!
Unread 09-12-2017, 01:52 PM

THANK YOU!! I am hoping that since I will be home for a few weeks and then Thanksgiving that the belly will go down by the time I have to schlep myself back to work and wear real clothes!
Unread 09-12-2017, 04:12 PM

Hi,
I did purchase a binder and used it at different times. Mostly when I was going to be moving around more. I found it helpful but it's definitely a personal preference whether or not you want to use one.

I wore loose nightgowns, loose shirts and leggings after the surgery. It took several months before I was able to wear jeans and actually still only wear them for short periods of time. When I do have to go to a client site for work, I have been wearing dresses or skirts with an elastic waist.

I bought a few extra pillows and was very happy that I did... they helped me get comfortable when resting and sleeping. I was able to sleep on my side after a couple of weeks as long as I had a pillow under my stomach.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 09-13-2017, 03:21 AM
Re: Upcoming November hysterectomy: Things I should have after surgery

(((Kiki723)))

Have you found our dedicated Hints From Members forum yet? It's packed with thousands of sisters' must-haves and should-haves!

We’re sending best wishes for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 09-13-2017, 04:17 AM
Upcoming November hysterectomy: Things I should have after surgery

I'm an avid knitter, and I stocked up on yarn beforehand, so I'd have plenty to keep me busy. I was also starting to get into adult colouring books, so I also bought a few of those. Also check your mobile device's app store for a few new game or puzzle apps. If you are stockpiling food, avoid ingredients that can worsen post-op gas and bloating; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Items that can help with constipation include peppermint tea, prunes and prune juice, frozen cherries, dried apricots, whole grain cereal, ground flaxseeds, and magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds. And the Squatty Potty is something I highly recommend! As for a binder, my surgeon recommended against it, but other sisters swear by it, so ask your surgeon what he recommends. Other useful items include a power bar, so you can plug in your electronics without any undue bending or reaching, and a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register