total pelvic floor reconstruction 07/19/2021 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

total pelvic floor reconstruction 07/19/2021 total pelvic floor reconstruction 07/19/2021

Unread 07-18-2021, 10:26 AM
total pelvic floor reconstruction 07/19/2021

Tomorrow I am having a total pelvic floor reconstruction. Hence "the works".
I am grateful but scared.The last time I was here was 2007 when I had a hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) from a uterine prolapse. That repair has last 13 years. So here we are again.
I am 52. I will be happy when I dont have to carry my bladder around shot gun anymore (just kidding)! Yes thats what a Grade 4 feels like.

bladder hammock, anterior, rectocele, ligament repair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2021, 01:44 PM
Re: total pelvic floor reconstruction 07/19/2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild2007 View Post
Tomorrow I am having a total pelvic floor reconstruction. Hence "the works".
I am grateful but scared.The last time I was here was 2007 when I had a hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) from a uterine prolapse. That repair has last 13 years. So here we are again.
I am 52. I will be happy when I dont have to carry my bladder around shot gun anymore (just kidding)! Yes thats what a Grade 4 feels like.

bladder hammock, anterior, rectocele, ligament repair
Wildchild2007. I know the thought of prolapse repairs can be scary . . . you are having a lot of work done. My surgery was a dvTH/BSO plus enterocele and rectocele repairs, and my bladder was tacked up. There are several things that I found very helpful.

Personal wipes are more soothing than tissue

Peri bottle for personal cleansing

Ice packs . . . I wet pads and froze them.

Sitz bath ONLY if approved by your doctor.

Thin pillow or cushion but not a donut cushion. (They create more vaginal pressure)

I also found a recliner to be the most comfortable for sitting . . . you can lean back and ease the pressure.

Having a BM can make you very anxious. It is important for you to try to relax when the time comes and DON'T STRAIN. Be sure to drink lots and lots, walk around every hour or so, and take your stool softener. Eating fiber rich foods is helpful . . . bran works wonders. Try propping up your feet on a short stool . . . this is known as the Squatty Potty position. I know it sounds "odd" but it changes the angle and helps everything to move better on its own.

One of the best ways to help prevent having another prolapse is to strictly follow all of your post op restrictions ... no pushing, no pulling, no bending, and no lifting over a gallon of milk. Each of those things put pressure on the pelvic floor and can cause a prolapse. It will also be very important to strengthen your Pelvic Floor muscles (this is more than kegels) ... it would be very worth talking to your doctor about Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy. I went through 4 months of therapy and my muscles are very strong. One more thing would be using vaginal estrogen cream to help strengthen your vaginal walls.

on your surgery my dear. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Unread 07-21-2021, 12:30 PM

How are you doing? I pray you are well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2021, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarburstOwl26 View Post
How are you doing? I pray you are well.
Day 4.
Everything hurts. Staying on the pain meds sucks. Not the best mood today.
How many mgs of stool softeners do I have to take?!!
Taking 4 a day. 2 with every oxy.
Not enough. Sorry for the whining.
Unread 07-25-2021, 10:00 PM

Day 4 PM
I had been having a rough time pooping. I was taking 6 stool softeners a day. Definitely not output matching the input and I was just so sick and stuck.
Called the Dr and took like 2 huge gulps of Milk of Magnesia. It was like a cork on a champage bottle. FYI stool softeners do not work on everyone. I am praying I didn't ruin anything!

bladder hammock, posterior, anterior, rectocele, ligament repair[/quote]
Unread 07-25-2021, 10:10 PM

Day 5 and 6.
Over did it by attending a funeral service and having no place to sit comfortably for about 2 hours. Came home, took a pain pill and went to bed. Before that I had almost been 24 hours with just Ibuprofen and Tylenol.

Day 6.
I have done ZERO today besides sleep for 10 hours straight and then sat in the recliner all day watching Netflix. Didn't take any pain pills just Ibuprofen and mostly forgot to take those too.
I did notice some spotting. Nothing crazy but certainly shocking after 13 years. Glue is starting to come off.
Tomorrow is one week. (after 11:30a)

Wishing I had a hyster sister buddy like I did before. We all were going through the same thing in the same week.

Its ok for me not to be okay yet!

Good Night with no pain meds!! Although I reserve the right to change my mind.
Heather in Maine
Unread 07-26-2021, 12:09 AM

Well Heather in Maine, I’m glad to hear you’re doing well. Keep up the good progress. I can only hope my surgery goes as smooth as yours did.
Unread 07-26-2021, 02:16 PM

Stopping in to cheer you on. I think it's great that you're sharing your healing journey. Even if you're "on your own", your diary may help someone else later on. I did the same for my recent adhesion surgery. Yeah, it feels like you're talking to yourself and rambling! One thing for sure... I learned a LOT about taking it easy from my hysterectomy, which I applied to my second surgery.

Rest well!

Unread 07-28-2021, 01:17 AM

Post op day 9
Constipated again, Swelling down there and The pain and pressure are just crazy bad today.
I tried 2 tbsp MOM this time instead of 2 huge swigs that had me in the potty for almost 24 hours last week.
If I hadn't had a great visit from a friend today, I may actually think I am going insane...
Unread 07-30-2021, 01:50 PM

I have been having trouble with the pain & just not feeling well. Days 7 & 8 so far have been the worst. I finally was able to go yesterday after 5 days! Many laxatives & stool softeners. Miralax, prunes, you name it. I already have bowel & bladder spasms due to two pinched nerves in my lower back. The surgery really aggravated my back. I was having constant UTI's for 4 years. It got to the point I was on an antbiotic all the time. I had a hysterectomy, anterior & posterior repair, vagina tacked up. I told my husand it better fix my problem. I know my lower back caused double trouble. I am trying to be very careful so I do heal properly.You are not alone. My surgery was on July 21st.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register