2 weeks post hysterectomy: Any weight lifters/ avid exercisers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post hysterectomy: Any weight lifters/ avid exercisers 2 weeks post hysterectomy: Any weight lifters/ avid exercisers

Unread 09-19-2021, 10:56 AM
2 weeks post hysterectomy: Any weight lifters/ avid exercisers

Hi I just had an emergency TAH on Sept 5th.( so no warning or preparing, lol) I'm going nuts not being able to work out. Its literally a huge part of my day! I'm use to spending 2 hours everyday in my basement including treadmilling. Dr told me 16 weeks because I lift heavy with lots of reps. So, I just walk alot right now. Anyone else in this situation? How long did you wait to lift? I'm jw..., Thankyou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2021, 03:03 PM
Re: Any weight lifters/ avid exercisers

I work out a lot but since I kept my cervix I didn't have those restrictions. I would follow your dr's instructions since your cervix was removed and you have a vaginal cuff that needs to heal.
Unread 09-20-2021, 05:31 AM
Re: 2 weeks post hysterectomy: Any weight lifters/ avid exercisers

I also kept my cervix, but still waited 10-12 weeks before I picked up the lighter free weights for working out. I walked through 6 weeks, picked up light aerobics in week 7, tried some interval walk-runs at 8-1/2 weeks (keeping the gait to a shuffle for minimal impact). I will share that at 5 months I thought I was ready for a more intense abdominal routine and "kicked it up a notch", and within 30 minutes I cramped and my belly swelled like I was newly post-op.

When you are released, it's important to resume activities gradually rather than diving in where you left off pre-op. The thing you don't want to do is push through too early. Doing so increases your risk of adhesions, and complications from them could result in further surgery later on. It happened to me just this past March where I had emergency surgery due to intestinal blockage from a single band adhesion. Whether I returned to work too early, resumed exercise too early, or just the luck of the draw - very bad luck! - is unknown, but the result was I was once again unable to work out for another 8-12 weeks.

It sucks not being able to work out - I know. Remember that these weeks you can't do what you want are maybe 3/100ths of 1% of your lifespan if you live to be in your 80s - a blip on the radar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2021, 06:58 AM

My exercise routine includes swimming 3 times a week, strength training 2 times a week using weights up to 20 pounds, and yoga twice a week. For 6 weeks after my surgery until my surgeon cleared me, and more recently when fitness centres in my region were under lockdown for 16 months due to the pandemic, my routine was reduced to taking regular walks, and I was going stir-crazy not being able to do everything that I was used to doing. When I was finally able to resume my routine, I recognized that my muscles had become deconditioned from the enforced rest, so I started back by swimming fewer lengths, lifting lighter weights, and modifying certain yoga poses as needed, all while listening to my body and avoiding anything that was causing me pain or discomfort; I recognize that after 16 months off, it will take me some time to regain my former fitness level, but I'm confident that I'll get there as long as I take it slow and steady, as I hope you will. Best wishes for a successful return to fitness, and for continued health and healing!
Unread 09-21-2021, 08:01 PM
Re: 2 weeks post hysterectomy: Any weight lifters/ avid exercisers

I have been swimming and running regularly and now have to lay off both for 6 weeks (my surgery was this morning); I'm planning to just focus on walking, starting with little short walks and working up. At least it's fall, so it should be beautiful weather for walking...
Unread 09-27-2021, 12:37 AM

Hi. I'm a lifter and love my own wee covid garage gym. My place.
Anyway I'm only 5 weeks post op. Kept my cervix. But I don't feel ready. Barely have the energy to walk. I did 15k steps everyday pre op. Lifted 3-4 times a week and my job is a nurse.
Happy to heal and get back to it when I'm 100%. We only get one chance to heal properly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register