Pain, painful intercourse years after hysterctomy (2011) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain, painful intercourse years after hysterctomy (2011) Pain, painful intercourse years after hysterctomy (2011)

Unread 02-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Pain, painful intercourse years after hysterctomy (2011)

I am new to hystersisters. I guess I am here for support more than anything.... and to meet others who experience the same pain day to day that I do..... in hopes of not feeling alone..or crazy...
I have had two hysterectomies, the first was a partial in 1998 which took my uterus and tubes... the second in 2001 which took my ovaries. Since the last hysterectomy I have also had a cystocele and rectocele done about 3 years ago. I also should let you know I am only 39.
I have been married for 18 years now... and my husband is a wonderful man. I have multi[le other health problems, including lupus and rhuematoid athritis, and fibrelialgia. My husband is most understanding with all of these health problems... but, when it come to intercourse... I can not say the same... or maybe he is.... I dont know. I have alot of adhesions as well, which makes me feel constant pulling, and pain where my ovaries used to be. The doctor basically told me a month ago, once I couldnt stand the pain any longer, they would go in and do exploratory to see how bad the adhesions have gotten, and try to remove what they could.
Since my hysterectomies, intercourse is painful... I have went to the doctor repeatedly regarding the pain. Obviously if you are in pain, you tend to not want to do whatever it is that makes the pain worse. So, here I am... another day of arguing with my husband because of lack of sex, and he says he is only 39. I have tried explaining how I feel, but, it goes back to the same thing.. he says I dont want to have sex, that I have no interest in him, no physical attraction etc... I dont know what to do anymore. I dont think he thinks I have pain... he thinks I just dont want to do anything.
Am I alone???? am I the only one who experiences this????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Re: Pain, painful intercourse years after hysterctomy

Hi I'm sorry you're having trouble with painful intercourse and that it's having a negative impact on your relationship. I expect it may end up forcing your decision on the exploratory lap, but of course I wish you could avoid further surgery.

I wanted to point out that the first surgery you had was a total hysterectomy (removal of the entire uterus) plus bilateral salpingectomy (removal of both tubes); the second one was a bilateral oophorectomy (removal of both ovaries), not another hysterectomy, which of course would be impossible unless you'd had two uteri and had one at a time removed.

Have you considered consulting another doctor about the pain during intercourse to see if there's something you could try that would not require surgery?

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Unhappy - Pain, painful intercourse years after hysterctomy (2011) Re: Pain, painful intercourse years after hysterctomy

I have been having a similar problem since my surgery. It is just so painful to have sex and my husband acts like I am making the whole thing up. I haven't really talked to my doctor about it because I don't know why I still have pain and what can be done about it anyway. I thought once I have my hysterectomy, the pain is supposed to go away.
I get so tired of arguing with my husband about it as well. It is not like I chose these problems for myself. I just feel so horrible about things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2011, 09:53 PM

I had surgery May of last year. I still fight with my husband as well. On going battle. I feel your pain. I get the same responses too.
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Hi ladies,

I am sorry you are in pain but i know how you feel. I just turned 30 on the 6th and i have pain during intercourse as well and i guess maybe that is why i dont want to do the deed dont know but like yall my husband thinks im not attracted to him or dont want him. Well my hysterectomy was a total i think. They took all but the overies do yall think i may need them to take those too? ( i know yall cant speak for a dr but any feedback would help) It has been almost 3 yrs since i had it done.
Unread 03-21-2011, 10:30 AM

Hello!

I'm sorry that you're also experiencing pain during intercourse. Have you mentioned this to your doctor and if so, what does your doctor say?

You're right that your hysterectomy was total if your uterus and cervix were removed. A partial hysterectomy by definition removes the uterus only, leaving the cervix intact. Removal of the ovaries is a surgery called oophorectomy.

Are your ovaries causing pain? You really need to research the pros and cons of having your ovaries removed. Removing them, of course, removes the source of your hormones and it can be a real challenge to find the right hormone therapy to take the place of the hormones your ovaries naturally make. If your doctor is recommending that you have your ovaries removed, you're welcome to start a new thread on the Separate Surgeries message board where members can reply to you to share their thoughts and experiences.

I hope this helps!

Unread 04-08-2012, 07:19 AM

Where to start...guess I should start with my sad story in hopes it may help others. First and foremost waste no time until you can find an expert on Endometriosis. I will be sixty-nine this July and my “female” pains began when I was fourteen (start of periods). Married at twenty and intercourse was very painful but thought it was because my husband’s “parts” were too large. Took five years and several surgeries for blocked tubes to get pregnant. Intercourse still very painful after having a baby finally told the doctor. Had exploratory surgery and was told I had extensive Endometriosis “everywhere” went through total hysterectomy & removal of both ovaries at age of thirty six. After years of lousy relations w/spouse partly due to my lack of sexual response because of painful intercourse and spouse’s many affairs we finally separated and divorced after forty five years of marriage. Now, I have met a wonderful man and learned that painful intercourse was not due to size of the male. I discovered that the pain I have been experiencing all these years is due to scare tissue and adhesions from the endometriosis. Do not wait…. keep going to as many doctors as necessary to find the cause of your pain and FIX THE PROBLEM….

That is what I am going to do… you are never too old and it is never to late. My goal is to have to intercourse without pain before they cart me off. Good luck to all of you who suffer excruciating pain that everyone including your spouse believes is all in your head because “you just aren’t interested in sex”. For the majority of us marriage without sex will not work. For the majority of us sex with pain will not work so there is only one answer somehow we must find a way to end the pain from the disease….NEVER GIVE UP!!!!
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:58 AM

You are an inspiration!!
I am trying so hard to be positive after 14 years of painful intercourse after my hysterectomy. A bit discouraged because most estrogen creams have had side effects on my system.
Trying alot of patience, lubrication, and still not getting anywhere.
Any reccomendations??
Unread 08-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toujoursoleil View Post
Where to start...guess I should start with my sad story in hopes it may help others. First and foremost waste no time until you can find an expert on Endometriosis. I will be sixty-nine this July and my “female” pains began when I was fourteen (start of periods). Married at twenty and intercourse was very painful but thought it was because my husband’s “parts” were too large. Took five years and several surgeries for blocked tubes to get pregnant. Intercourse still very painful after having a baby finally told the doctor. Had exploratory surgery and was told I had extensive Endometriosis “everywhere” went through total hysterectomy & removal of both ovaries at age of thirty six. After years of lousy relations w/spouse partly due to my lack of sexual response because of painful intercourse and spouse’s many affairs we finally separated and divorced after forty five years of marriage. Now, I have met a wonderful man and learned that painful intercourse was not due to size of the male. I discovered that the pain I have been experiencing all these years is due to scare tissue and adhesions from the endometriosis. Do not wait…. keep going to as many doctors as necessary to find the cause of your pain and FIX THE PROBLEM….

That is what I am going to do… you are never too old and it is never to late. My goal is to have to intercourse without pain before they cart me off. Good luck to all of you who suffer excruciating pain that everyone including your spouse believes is all in your head because “you just aren’t interested in sex”. For the majority of us marriage without sex will not work. For the majority of us sex with pain will not work so there is only one answer somehow we must find a way to end the pain from the disease….NEVER GIVE UP!!!!
I had a full hysterectomy 10 years ago due to endemetriosis. Now I'm having pain and bleeding during sex. just went to my doc yesterday and she put in on estrace vag cream. twice a week for 2 weeks. If that does not help she will have me get a sonagram. I do have pain days after we have sex. So now after reading you lady's poost I'm afraid that i could have adhesions from endemetriosis.And i just join Hytersisters today.
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:05 AM

I had a hysterectomy in 2010 I had to have my uterus removed because it was the size of a soccer ball they also had to repair my bladder and anal area and re-inforce with mesh. Since this time I have had so many problems and a lot of pain. Intercourse is out of the question. My husband is so understanding but it's not fair. They didn't tell me there would be pain like this after I would have been better off keeping the uterus. I have gain 50 lbs and it is so frustrating. I am only 51 and to young to give up sex. In my opinion, it is just wrong that they don't tell you the side effects of this surgery. The doctors keep telling me there is nothing wrong to cover their own butts, in my opinion, but something is wrong that is for sure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register