No bending, no stretching - questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No bending, no stretching - questions No bending, no stretching - questions

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:40 AM
No bending, no stretching - questions

So I've read that you can't do any bending or stretching during recuperation, but I'm not sure exactly what that means. Since the type of surgery I'll have depends upon what the doc sees when he gets in there I'd also like to understand if the answers change depending upon whether I have a TVH or TAH.

Will I / when will I be able to:
* Reach the upper shelf in the fridge (I'm only 4 ft 10 - everything is a stretch for me LOL)
* Bend to put my dogs food and water bowls down or to scoop dog poop
* Lift a roast to put it into the slow cooker (like I said, everything is a stretch to me ! I have to lift things UP to put them DOWN in the slow cooker )

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:59 AM

I had a tah and bending was hard and also a bit painful. My dr gave me a 5 pound lifting restriction for the first couple of weeks and then 10 pounds for a few more. Unless you're planning on cooking an enormous roast, you should be able to handle that But, no cooking for the first few weeks at all - you're supposed to be a pampered princess

I have cats and my DH had to clean the litter box for a while as bending that far was very painful. Do you have someone who can clean up after the dogs for awhile?

I just thought that I was short at 5"1" You're tiny! Maybe you can arrange to have the things that you'll need each day put on a lower shelf so that you won't have to stretch.

S
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:23 AM

My discharge nurse told me no lifting more than 10 lbs for the first couple of weeks, which sounds OK. Otherwise, the bending and stretching thing should be self-imposed based on pain.

The day after my surgery i had some trouble getting my socks on, but i managed by standing up, holding onto the bed, and bending my legs at the knee so i could easily reach my foot. Then the next day i decided in need to shave my legs in the shower, which i just did slow and easy. I can bend to the side with no problem, but bending forward puts too much pressure on my belly.

I was also scheduled for possible TAH, but he was able to do the LAVH even though i had massive scarring and adhesions (in addition to fibroids, endo, and ovarian cysts). I LOVE my doctor for being able to achieve this for me. Hope yours can do the same!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 07:31 AM

My doc said nothing over 5 lbs for at least 4 weeks... But I have been cooking dinner with my DH pulling out the pots and pans. Chopping veggies and stuff for stir fry, etc.. Also I made lots of dishes ahead of time as my family lives 4-5 hours away. I think you need to leave the bending over to clean litter boxes to someone else for a bit.
Don't overdo or your body will rebel...
Good luck
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:33 AM

Thanks all. yeah, I'm tiny - everything is a stretch for me LOL. It does have some positives also - like never having to worry about legroom in a car or plane seat.

I was asking about the poop scooping because I was hoping that I could take the dog out with me once I start walking outside - I guess I'll have to leave her in. We have a dog run on the side of the house for her use, so hubby will have to do all the poop scooping

My cooking plan was all crock pot cooking, so that my husband could set everything up during his lunch break. I was hoping to be able to help out ... oh well, he'll have to deal with totally pampering me LOL

Feeding the dog is going to be ticky -- he leaves for work way to early and his lunchbreak is too late for her breakfast. I'll see if I can rig up some sort of tray that I can put her bowls on and lower and raise the tray with a rope. She only weighs 13 lbs, so we're not talking about a heckuvalot of food.

And it looks like the fridge is going to need some rearranging for awhile. I rearraged the freezer yesterday leaving a nice shoulder level spot for ice cream for the Princess
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:37 AM

I had a TAH and was given a 10 pound lifting limit. I was not told not to bend or stretch, but I have a couple of friends who have had the surgery who have told me it's painful. For me, it has not been painful to do either one. I could touch my toes without pain the day after surgery. I have not had a problem feeding my cat or stuff like that. We have a small steppy stool in our kitchen. I am 5'11 and don't have to use it that often (ha) but something like that may help you with reaching stuff on the higher shelves. It's light enough to pull where you need it to and it didn't cost much.
I have actually been doing very light stretches, but that is with the blessing of my dr.
Listen to your body and be careful.
Jill
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:54 AM

I have seen something that I plan to pick up before my surgery, it is a long handled thingie that can pick stuff up for you. My MIL, who has Parkinsons, has one, she uses it to get stuff down from upper shelves, etc. Not sure what the name of this thing is, but I have seen it in catalogs.
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:05 AM

Jill - amazing that you could reach your toes the day after surgery ! I'm impressed.

I have three step ladders in the house, one in the kitchen, one in the pantry and one in my clothes closet - I use all them of them quite frequently. I guess they'll be getting quite a workout while I'm recuperating.

Just have to figure out the dog feeding thing - I'm really liking the "dumb waiter" idea; just need to rig it up.
Unread 02-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Well, I work at being flexible. It kind of surprised me, too, that I was able to bend without it hurting, but everyone is different. If it hurts, don't do it. It has only been in the past 7 days that I have been really doing stuff in the house, such as putting things away. I am still being really careful with lifting things. I don't want to do too much and set myself back - not worth it!
Unread 02-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Cathy - I think the device you're looking for is called "the Grabber".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register