I have a surgery date...so please tell me... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have a surgery date...so please tell me... I have a surgery date...so please tell me...

Unread 10-22-2003, 06:21 PM
I have a surgery date...so please tell me...

I finally have a surgery date (LAVH 12-30-03), so please tell me that when I become a princess, this PMS will go away!!!

Somebody ruffled my feathers at work today, unbeknowns to him, insulted my integrity as a professional, and I was not just pre-menstrual, I nearly went POSTAL! In fact, had it not been a phone conversation, had it been face-to-face, I'm sure I would have thrown hot coffee in his face!

What is WRONG with me??? Why can't I control this? I am so angry, I nearly quit my job! Me...the person who is always the collaborative, calming manager. The one my boss always chooses to deal with all the difficult personalities, because I am "so fair, forthright, and encouraging".

Well someone tossed me the straw that breaks the camel's back today. And, I know it's just me. And all these raging hormones. Help! I just want these feelings to stop. Every 2 weeks I am having 2-3 days where I could burst into tears, or slap someone. This has been going on for years, but now it seems I'm totally out-of-whack. Please tell me my hyst will stop this, or what kind of HRT do I need to demand from my doc. I can't afford to lose it and quit my job right now.

Mad one minute, and crying the next,

junie_seven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2003, 06:53 PM

Oh sweetie it will get better. It is very normal to be totally bonkers prior to surgery and of course this is on top of the hormonal upheaval. Please don't kill anyone! We have often referred to this as the hyster twister. This can be a very difficult time in our lives. I can say that after my surgery I felt MUCH better. You did not say if your ovaries would be going too so I am going to assume they are since you mentioned HRT. I have been on the .05 Climara patch from about 2 days after surgery and it has been a world of difference for me. You can just ask my husband! Much better. I am on a more even keel and it is so nice for us all!! You might want to research in the Hormone Jungle here to see what sounds like what you may talk to your dr about. It can take some adjusting sometimes to get the right type and dose. I wanted to go with patches vs oral and low dose to start and this has been the right choice for me. Just be aware that you and your dr may have to make some changes or you could be as lucky as I and have it be right from the start.

A big hug for you in these crazy days of pre op land. Most of us know just what you are going through. Best of luck and come back to vent as needed!!
Blessings, Shawn
Unread 10-22-2003, 07:32 PM

Deep breath...in, out, in, out!!! You're going to feel SO great when it's over. And in the meantime, come to this website and vent like you just did. You will get the most incredible support and love and understanding that will help you get thru the next weeks as you wait.
Waiting definitely IS the worst part of it all.
I'm 9 weeks post op from TAH/BSO. I opted for ovary-be-gone with uterus because I didn't want to ever have to have abdominal surgery again (this was my second) I went on Estradiol .05 mg at five days post op and let me tell you....
IT IS SO INCREDIBLY INCREDIBLE. YOU CANNOT BELIEVE THAT YOU CAN FEEL THIS GOOD!!! I am serious. Not a single symptom of menopause or PMS since that day. And no more periods! Just try setting your sights ahead to this time...nothing ticks me off anymore! I am so tolerant of people and situations that I would've never put up with pre-op. Although I DID say a few nasty words when my 16 year old son drove off the driveway when he wasn't looking and hit a tree with his car! (he was going very slow...he wasn't hurt....but the car was!) I told him (after I got done swearing and slamming and screaming) that he was lucky I was on estrogen. Pre-op, you may have read about me in the headlines of your morning paper for doing something REALLY nasty!!!!
Good luck! Keep coming here. You'll not find better support and understanding anywhere else.
Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2003, 08:14 PM

Oh, sisters, THANK you! Just to be called "sweetie" tonite is a help (LOL)!!! I am so unglued. The only way I kept it together today is the unfortunate years of experience with this demon PMS.( Even my shrink is amazed sometimes how much I can tolerate with my sensitivities!)

I keep telling myself to "stew" before "boiling over". As you suggest--breathe in--breathe out! Well, it's something to do while I cook my vengeance! Pray I can get a good nite's sleep and feel a little more tolerant of other peoples' insulting stupidity in the morning.

It's times like this I want to "use" my incapacities and shock people with the fact that I need surgery. But I know that is not fair. I'm humouring myself tonite with the look on this guy's face, if I told him what's causing me to be so angry. He's a good guy, all-in-all, and that's my point: I'm so frustrated with not being able to control my emotions these days. I'm afraid I will "flip out" and live to regret it.

Only you ladies know what it feels like, right? Thank goodness for this site! Lord, ain't I evidence of pure madness/sentimentality tonight????

HUGS!!!

junie_seven
Unread 10-22-2003, 08:27 PM

Hi Junie.

Hang in there girl! We ALL have our emotional upheavals. I will have bouts of extreme anger about 5 days before Aunt Flo visits. It will last anywhere from 1 hour to all day and then "poof" it's gone til next month! Once I even accidentally slammed my finger in the car door in a fit of temper. What happens more often though, is that I get extremely weepy, teary-eyed and overly sensitive. I've gone so far as to accuse my family members and co-workers of "hating" me. (Real mature, huh?)

I am also having both ovaries removed and am more nervous about that part than the hyst itself, because of the hormone issues. Doctor assures me we will adjust as needed. Keeping my fingers crossed that we find the right type and dosage without too much trial and error!

You're going through a lot right now. Do something nice for yourself to relax.

Jay-Jay
Unread 10-23-2003, 02:01 PM

Hello to everyone.......

I am still laughing about the phrase "Hyster Twister" cause I sure do know that feeling!

Being that Halloween coming I thought everyone would get a laugh outta this PMS story.......My Kids go trick or treating last year and I told them to hide the chocolate since I was a choc-o-holic. Once when breast feeding my daughter my hubby and I decided to polish off an entire Toblerone (yes the big one) and my poor child had the runs for days!!! That my friends is a whole other story. Just wanted you to get a feel for how much I LOVED chocolate. Ok so they were very creative and hid the chocolate very good. I was trying really hard to be good but then the PMS hit ~ I had to have some...I searched high and low and could not find it. I started to get angry and my blood was boiling and the more I looked the angrier I got!!!! My son who was 12 was outside playing road Hockey.....I opened the front door stormed out and started ranting and raving for him to get his butt in the house and GIVE ME THE CHOCOLATE!!! Poor kid went right up stairs into MY room and pulled back the bedskirt to reveal the stash. Needless to say I gorged on it and felt absolutely awful for acting so irrational. PMS makes you into a raving maniac sometimes. I have to say we owe a lot to our kids and hubbies for putting up with us! I am thrilled to hear PMS does get better I sure all the kids on the street thought I was a real Witch!

Almost there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register