Pre-op questions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op questions! Pre-op questions!

Unread 03-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Pre-op questions!

Hello all, I am new here, but I already feel at home and comfy with you guys after reading stuff on this wonderful forum! I have some questions~~yesterday I went to an ob/gyn who was referred to me by my gp because during my annual physical he said I had an enlarged uterus. So the ob/gyn did a pelvic, felt a bunch of fibroids, and said my uterus was prolapsed 2 degrees and also retroverted and suggested a vaginal hysterectomy~~he said with the number and type(?) of fibroids I seem to have, that I am at high risk for ovarian cancer, and would suggest having my ovaries taken out as well. I am 37 years old, but at this point I would rather have them taken out than worry about getting cancer (and I am a BIG worry wart!!)

He set me up an appointment with the ob/gyn who would perform the actual surgery~~what happens at this appointment? Today I also get a pelvic ultrasound as well.

My other question is: I have an inner ear disorder (where I get daily dizzies) and a panic disorder, both of which are alleviated by taking .5mg of Xanax 3x a day, plus I take Zoloft for the panic as well. He told me, "GET OFF THE XANAX!!" and wouldn't listen to me as to why I was taking it, that many people with inner ear disorders have to take benzos, that I have been taking it for 3 years, and have never increased the dose, so I am concerned that he will tell my gp (a good friend of his) to take me off of it, even though my gp has never had a problem prescribing it to me, and then I'll really be in a pickle, on top of having the surgery done. He kept saying, "There are other things you can take for dizziness" and I said, "What things?" and he said "Meclizine" and I said that Meclizine does not work for me. He still was insistent that Xanax was ONLY to be used in a dire straits situation, not as a daily med. I am also terrified of "going under", have never had surgery, and am considering the spinal anesthesia where they numb your lower extremities and you are awake and mildly sedated. Has anyone gone this route? If you've gone through general anesthesia, was it scary? Has anyone gone through this Xanax argument with an ob/gyn whom they just met?? So I have so many questions for you guys, and I am really scared on top of it. I just want to get it OVER with, you know? How long will I have to wait after I see the ob/gyn surgeon before I can get the operation?

Thanks in advance for all your help and support! Amazing how your whole life can change in one cotton pickin dr's appointment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 08:50 AM
Pre-op questions!

Hi,

I can relate to the xanax situation for panic attacks. I take it as needed and have already gotten approval to take it the night before surgery.

I will be having general anesthesia (never had it before) and my Dr. wants me as relaxed as possible. He even changed my blood pressure med to a different one for the morning of surgery, so it would block all adrenaline to ward off a panic attack.

These panic attacks are IMPOSSIBLE to explain to someone who has never had one. They are scary the first time!!!! You feel like you should be able to control them but the adrenaline just keeps pumping!!

Good luck with your decision, I know for me the xanax will definitely help me the night prior to surgery.

BarbNJ
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Pre-op questions!

Hi Newt,

I can't answer the stuff about Xanex - I've never had to take anything like that - maybe someone else on the board can help.

As far as the surgeon's appointment - all I can tell you is what happened to me. I saw two GYNs and had hormone treatments and a D&C with the second one before they said I needed the hyster (uterine cancer), so I got an appointment with a GYN/Oncologist - at that appointment they did a complete exam and we talked about the reports he had gotten from my previous GYNs and then we scheduled the surgery. It was scheduled three weeks after that appointment - that was his first open time. It will depend on the doctor, but they should do a thorough exam themselves and not just rely on the other doctors' opinions. I also met with a nurse who talked to me about everything I needed to do to prepare for the surgery, the bowel prep etc., and filled out all the forms. I did have to go back to the clinic for pre-op testing the week before - x-rays, EKG and blood work.

As far as going under - I love it - it's the best sleep every! I had my gallbladder removed several years ago and was worried about going under, but it was fine and felt really refreshed afterwards. I had the local stuff for the D&C and I didn't like it because I could hear everything they were saying and could feel pulling etc (they removed two polyps during the D&C) - I didn't like being semi-conscious for that at all. I was completely under for the hyster and didn't have any problems. I always just take it slow and try to keep calm coming out - I had a great nurse who handled the anesthesia, who just kept talking to me as I came out of it - she told me every was fine and I should just relax and open my eyes when I was ready. She also gave me several shots of morphine on the way to recovery so I was not feeling any pain at all.

I'm worrier like you, so I understand you apprehension. Try to practice some relaxation/breathing skills etc. I firmly believe that if you can stay relaxed and trust the people in the operating room you will come out just fine.

Hang in there - HUGS,
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Pre-op questions!

Hi,

I'd call your GP about the Xanax situation. My dad's been taking it daily for 20 years with no problems.

As for general anesthesia, no, it's not scary at all. They'll usually give you something in your IV to calm you down. My experience was that once I was transferred to the table, a nurse wrapped warm blankets around me, then gently held an oxygen mask over my mouth and nose. The A-guy said, "You're going to have a very nice sleep now." I remember thinking, "I'm going to try to stay awake as long as I can." (Why I thought that, I don't know!) I blinked twice, closed my eyes, then what literally felt like a second later, I was opening them again and looking up at the same nurse (she had on these funky cat eye glasses that I thought were just hilarious!)

It wasn't nearly as frightening as my imagination had built the experience up to be. I didn't know anything about anything that went on during surgery - I didn't see any long dark tunnel or bright lights or hear voices or anything at all. Just one second I was awake, blinked twice, closed my eyes, then the next second I was awake again. That was it, honestly! (I remember thinking, "Gosh, what on earth was I so scared about!)

Best wishes on whatever you decide.

s,

Lisa
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Pre-op questions!

Newt,

I am very concerned about your conversation with your gyn. I have never heard that having many fibroid tumors increases your chance of ovarian cancer. I hope I didn't misunderstand you, but that just doesn't sound right. I hope other sisters will answer this post. I think I would definitely have a second opinion before pursuing surgery. Please don't be too hasty in making a decision to have your ovaries removed -- they are very important.

Linda
Unread 03-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Pre-op questions!

Wow, you guys are great!! I am already feeling better about the whole thing! I will have the appointment with the female ob/gyn who would perform the surgery, and she will do a full exam and give me her 2nd opinion, so that will be a good idea, huh. Is surgery pretty much the solution to a prolapsed uterus?

Thanks, everyone I love this place!
Unread 03-05-2005, 11:42 AM
get a new doctor!

You definitly need to get another doctor(gyn), who understands your need for the Xanax & Zoloft, because you will get no where with this guy! I am on Xanax & another anti-depressant, because I HAVE TO BE, for the rest of my life, & my gyn NEVER even brought up the fact that these are bad or not neccessary. There are just some docs out there that think that way & some that don't. You need to find one that understands your disorder & knows the need for the meds & is OK with it. Good luck to you,
angelicdore
Unread 03-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Pre-op questions!

Hi newt - I decided to stop in and give you a link to a very informative recent thread about Ovaries? Keep or not? Why or why not?
I hope you'll read it before finalizing your decision about that.

I have never heard of a Doctor being able to determine that you are at high risk, for ovarian cancer without a biopsy first. Had you already had one done when he said this? Have you had abnormal Paps? Your quote: "with the number and type(?) of fibroids I seem to have, that I am at high risk for ovarian cancer"

Does ovarian cancer run in your family? It is VERY rare for a fibroid to be cancerous!!!

Please check out that thread!
S
joano
Unread 03-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Pre-op questions!

Hmmm, I know that xanax is really addictive. Once you start taking it, it's hard to get off of.
I take prozac for pmdd, and I have xanax for anxiety, but I am only supposed to take the xanax on an as needed basis. I rarely take it. Maybe once a month or so.
I would ask him why he wants you off of it.
Unread 03-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Pre-op questions!

Thank you guys, I will for sure ask the other ob/gyn about the ovary "high risk" thing, and also read that article, excellent.

I suddenly realized that my appointment with her will be 2 days into my period! Will I have to reschedule, or can she go by the ultrasound and pap smear results? I have never had an abnormal pap, so I had better get some serious consultation with her about removing my ovaries, eh. Although if I have any chance of being "high risk", I would just as soon get it over with and get them out, you know?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register