Patiently Waiting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Patiently Waiting Patiently Waiting

Unread 01-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Patiently Waiting

Waiting is the hardest part. I don't have a date set and only recently did I even find out the possibility was feasible. I've had terrible periods since I was 13, and I am 23 now. I have seen several OB-GYNs; all but one have said they wouldn't consider a hyst until I was in my 40s or 50s. It's *my* life that is being ruined by the pain. If I accept the possible consequences and am willing to pay, who are they to deny me this chance at a semi-normal life?

I don't respond to treatment. I suppose my body is stubborn. I'm still recovering from a lap and PSN that was done on December 23rd. I don't know if the procedure was successful or not, but only time will tell. In the meantime, pain management cannot control my pain. I'm reduced to taking sedatives because pain killers do not work. I might as well sleep through the pain, but even then, I'm not going to take them regularly. There's no way I want to develop a physical dependence for the meds.

The good news is that I have a wonderful surgeon. He believes me, and he is truly sorry that I have gone through so much already. Every time I have seen him, he's always asking about school or John, my DH (to be). He asked me to hold on long enough to try conceiving next year. My DH and I would be more than happy to settle for one biological child. Adoption is always an option with us. We support it completely.

I feel a little better knowing an end is in sight. I was shocked that he even brought up a hyst. I had given up trying to fight for one with the other doctors. He said, "You have to look at this on an individual basis," and he's right. I know in my heart that it's what I need to do. I will grieve when I can no longer be fertile, but it will be a very happy day when I am admitted for the surgery. It feels like we've already been to Hell and back trying to fight for this.

I have plenty of time to do more research about it. I am hoping for a LAVH, and I know he would support this. I hope that I have a chance at improving. With as many problems as I have, I have accepted that I will probably never know a pain-free day in my life. I'm not sure it could get much worse, honestly, but I'm sure it can. I can be thankful that for the time being I am cancer-free and MS-free.

I won't be able to have HRT afterwards, though, because of my high risk for breast cancer. My great-grandmother was a cancer survivor, my grandmother was a cancer survivor two times over, and so on. My mother is cancer-free for now. I would gladly take it if I could make sure she never knew a life with breast cancer. That might seem a little odd that I would be willing to take it from her, but she's such a wonderful person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Patiently Waiting

I know what you mean about dr's not wanting to do anything at your age. My doctor was hesitant at first and I was 30 when we finally decided to do something! I was not able to have children, and I really was tired of suffering, once she was sure I wouldn't want to pursue further fertility treatments she has been all for helping me where no other dr had! I have been in pain since I was 13 as well!

My surgery is scheduled for 2/24 providing the insurance comes through and will pay!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me, and I will for you, that this latest will be the answer you needed. My prayers are with you that you find some relief from the pain.
Unread 01-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thank you. I wish you the best of luck, and I pray that you find relief from your hyst. I will be thinking of you. Do take care of yourself prior to and after the surgery.

I will just have to wait my turn, but at least I am given the chance to even have a turn considering the attitudes of my other OB-GYNs. It's amazing what kind of power they have over your life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2004, 12:05 AM
God has a reasson ...

I started my periods when I was 10 years old, and the suffering start from that time... Now I am 35, but when I had 23 years old, I went to the hospital for possible apendicectomy, they looks on the x-ray like a lot of blod and watter around my stomach, when they open they find was the right ovary broken, they call at GO and even they said I will never have a babies they try to save my womb at that time, Because they tough I was too young. A miracle baby arrive 5 years latter, after that (7 years ago) i never conceived again, and the pain is 3 weeks per month also, and all the time I was using pads, and a terrible pain, I went for a laparoscopy surgery for removal a cyst on my right ovary but they find a lot of more things inside. I am going to Total histerectomy on Feb 23. I know God has a reasson for WHY we are suffering so much than others no (some times I don't understand well this)... But if they want to let you wait... Just wait and I hope so you can feel better in a few months.

Best wishes...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register