How do Docs figure out Which Way? TAH-TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do Docs figure out Which Way? TAH-TVH? How do Docs figure out Which Way? TAH-TVH?

Unread 10-11-2003, 09:26 AM
How do Docs figure out Which Way? TAH-TVH?

Hi All

Can someone explain to me how a Doc figures out which way they will go for a Hyster? I have had 2 c-sections. I am not sure which way the doc will do my hyster. (Then again I'd like to Chicken out because I am tired of everyone telling me TAKE IT ALL) We are Leaving the Right Ovary and that is it.

However since my Lap on the 28th of Aug. It is normally the left ovary that causes me all of the Pain. Now I have Stabbing Pains in my Right Ovary...I have Not Told ANYONE.....Not even DH. I didn't want my ovaries out because I don't want to Take Hormones all of My Life.....Even Though I suffer from Severe Endo. I am only 34 yrs old and I am Moody often as it is. LOL (DH in Military)

I get So Very Upset when family & friends tell me Take Everything! Well put your feet in My Shoes Why don't You? You still have all of your Stuff......Is it just me being very moody and my nerves because I am so Scared to Have Surgery! Last night DH asked if I was alright. I was a sleep at 7:30. I told him I think it is my nerves of Nov 4 coming......Sorry I am Venting..Any Advise I'd so Much Appricate.....Thanks & God Bless All of You!
Seachel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2003, 09:46 AM

Seachel:

I had an abdominal hysterectomy because I had had 2 c-sections and 2 surgeries for ectopic pregnancies. It was a good thing because my bladder was adhered to my abdominal wall, which probably would have made a vaginal hyst difficult---plus, my bladder, hopefully, will stay unstuck this time!

Good luck to you.

diane b
Unread 10-11-2003, 09:51 AM

Seachel,

I think a lot of it depends on what you are having done once the doctor gets in there and part depends on what the doctor is most comfortable with.

If you're having pains on your right ovary now, although not letting anyone else know, please discuss this with your doctor. It is best to be completely honest with him/her about what your symptoms are.

Good luck to you.
s
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2003, 09:52 AM

Welcome Seachel

I am very happy you are here.

I am very sorry you are having the problems you are.

If you want someone who will listen and understand you have come to the right place.

None of the sisters can tell you what to do, but we will listen to you vent, commiserate when you are sad, and by sharing our stories maybe help you make the decisions you need to make.

What is your quality of life like right now? For most of us it is this very question that determines what we decide to do.

Re: how the s make their decision:

Many factors have to be considered, regional acceptance also seems to play a factor, the woman's size, weight, possibility of cancer, the presence of cysts on the overies, how big the fibroids, cysts are, how accomplished the doctor feels at doing abdominal vs. vaginal. How much working room does he need, or think he needs- is there alot of endo to clean out- all sorts of reasons.

The main factor at this stage for you would be to ask the doc why abd. vs vag. Then find out horizontal vs vertical incisions. There are positive and negative factors for both.

As far as not telling anyone you are having pain in the right overy....honey this is not the smartest move you could make right now.....it could be nothing more than a benign cyst, which a simple sonogram would reveal, or it could be something else.
And on a scale of 1-10 how bad is the pain? a 1 or 2, or 7 or 8? This is also something to take into consideration.
Also if there is a new problem with the right overy when the surgery takes place, he will probably have to take it anyway-so why not find out what is going on....it could be nothing and you wont have invested a lot of anguish and worry into it.

Another consideration: you say you don't want to take hormones, however if the trade off to not taking hormones is that you are in severe pain half the month, is it worth it?

Or

Is a pain free life with the addition of a simple patch for the hormones worth it?

Only you can decide this....but we will support whatever decision you make.

Good luck in the decision researchin part of this process. It isn't
easy, there is a lot to consider.

s

Dilu
Unread 10-11-2003, 10:04 AM

Hi Seachel,

waiting is the worst part of this surgery, at least once it is done you get pain meds, I think they need to give you something before hand as well to calm your nerces.

I had a TVH two months ago, it saved and changed my life for the better. My Dr decided on a TVH because he had just done an unsuccessful myomectomy and D&C 4 months earlier and thought he was just dealing with tiny new fibriods and a bunch of fluid producing scar tissue, once he got in there he was surprised to find a grapefruit size fibriod hidden between my uterus and bladder, it turned the 45 minutes procedure into a 2 1/2 hour one.

I guess I was lucky because he definetly would have done a TAH if he had known. Honesty is the best, if they don't get things done right the first time, you will be back under the knife. Having had two surgeries myself this year, it is not fun. Best Wishes to you.
Unread 10-11-2003, 10:11 AM

Thank All of You for Your Response!

I hope I am doing all of this Right. I am New at this Stuff. I still have so Many Questions.......If I am doing any of this stuff wrong please correct me. Thanks Again & God Bless

Seachel
Unread 10-11-2003, 10:50 AM

Seachel,

Glad you found your way here. There are a lot of women here who seem to be able to calm just about any of our fears.

I am having a TAH/BSO on 10/20. They are alsoing taking out my appendix. The reason for this is because my dr doesn't want to take the chance of having microscopic endo that she can't see on my appendix and it up having to go through surgery again.

As far as the hormones go, I haven't decided whether or not I am going to take them or what kind I am going to be taking. Whatever I go with, my dr said we will have to start out real low dosages because I have a history of seizures.

I know quite a few ladies who have started going thru the change naturally, and I know that it is not the most fun thing to have to go thru, but I would rather go thru that instead of the constant pain that I am in right now.

People who don't go thru this kind of pain on a daily basis don't seem to understand how debilitating it can be. I am tired all the time right now and normal day to day things seem to tire me out so much easier. I can't seem to sit in one place for too long, or lay down for too long, or even move around for too long. I have to keep switching around.

Keep your chin up and know that all of us are thinking about you.

P.S. Where are you stationed at? My DH is active Air Force.

Kimmers
Unread 10-11-2003, 11:48 AM

Hi Seachel,

I am sorry you have these worries. I didn't want to take HRT either. I knew that everything had to be removed but i decided I was going to go natural and take herbal. (No estrogen!)
After my surgery I didn't take anything at all. I felt really good, no real problems. I would only have a mild hot flash and insomnia occasionally. When I got to the 3 week mark I had some intense hot flashes so I started taking a herbal formula. It is working fine for me and I don't have any complaints. I am so glad I had this surgery! No more pain or any of the other problems.
Everybody is different so whatever works for you is the right thing.
Talk with your doctor and I am sure you will make the right decision.

I am ing for you!!
Take care!!!!
Unread 10-11-2003, 12:03 PM

Hi Seachel.

I can only speak from personal experience. My doctor will be doing mine abdominally. I have an enlarged uterus with two fibroids. My doc says my uterus is "too large and nodular" to remove vaginally. I responded with, "Well it can't be any bigger than a 10 pound baby that managed to 'fit')! He explained that it wasn't a matter of "fitting" but that he wouldn't have enough room to work and wouldn't be able to fully visualize what he was doing. He does do vaginal hysts, but says some patients just aren't good candidates for that--including me. A little disappointing?...yes, but knowing that he's not taking any chances increases my confidence and reduces my stress immensely!

Good luck.

Jay-Jay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register