scar tissue from previous surgeries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scar tissue from previous surgeries? scar tissue from previous surgeries?

Unread 12-12-2003, 11:13 PM
scar tissue from previous surgeries?

Hi there everybody!
I'm new here and have just found out that I am going for a vaginal hysterectomy at the end of February.
I have had 2 C-sections and intestinal surgery as well as having my tubes tied. Does anyone know if this will complicate the operation ? It sure would be nice to have surgery that doesn't leave yet another scar on this ol' bod of mine.
I'd also like to thank all you great gals out there for having this site that I'm sure will help to get me through this
Take care..............Purplekitten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2003, 12:29 AM
scar tissue from previous surgeries?

Dear Purplekitten,

I too have a history of 2 previous C-secs. These were done thru vertical incisions. My doctor decided to do my hysterectomy thru the open abdomen technique and cut thru the old scar. She said that a vaginal or laparscopic technique could not be used as I probably would have organ adhesions ( that is the bladder and/or the intestines stuck to the uterus because of the scar tissues from the previous surgeries). And when she did open me up she found the bladder very badly adhered to the uterus. But then each doctor has his or her own style/expertise of doing surgeries, and also the kind of incision that was used for your C-section would determine that. It is best to discuss it with your surgeon. You will not have 'yet another scar' because they trim the old one off the dead tissues and close you up. However you will have to take it very easy after the surgery as chances of hernia are very high in the initial months due to the abdonimal muscles being weak and stretched because of repeated incisions. It is best to let your doctor decide what is best for you.

Above all don't worry!!!!! I was terribly apprehensive before my surgery, but now in retrospect am glad I went thru it and all in all it wasn't such a terrifying experience.

Love and hugs,
esskat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register