Upcoming hysterectomy: So tired I struggle to find energy to do the basic chores | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: So tired I struggle to find energy to do the basic chores Upcoming hysterectomy: So tired I struggle to find energy to do the basic chores

Unread 10-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: So tired I struggle to find energy to do the basic chores

Hi all.
I'm just wondering if anyone else is feeling extremely tired. I'm due to have my hysterectomy within the next few months. I don't have a date yet. Should I have my thyroid function checked before then? I've heard that thyroid dysfunction can have a major effect on energy levels. Surely the large fibroids I have (10cm) can't be the main reason for my lethargic state? Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
Ps I do work but it's a battle staying awake after 8 pm. I take naps when I can but it is never enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Re: So tired I struggle to find energy to do the basic chores

Have they checked your hemoglobin? I was really dragging, until m doctor put me on a really high dose of iron, and now I'm picking up steam again, and its only been a few days. Honestly, I'm really surprised by how much better I feel. If your fibroids are causing a lot of bleeding, you could be anemic.
Unread 10-13-2014, 01:11 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: So tired I struggle to find energy to do the basic chores

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
Have they checked your hemoglobin? I was really dragging, until m doctor put me on a really high dose of iron, and now I'm picking up steam again, and its only been a few days. Honestly, I'm really surprised by how much better I feel. If your fibroids are causing a lot of bleeding, you could be anemic.
I am anaemic and do take iron tablets. I've never felt this tired before whilst taking them and I have been on them for a few years. I'm just hoping the hysterectomy will give me some more oomph. There is so much I would like to achieve but it isn't happening. Frustrating from going to a get up and go person to a couch potato. I have a very healthy diet, don't smoke don't drink excessively and sleep well..... Just way more than I should be!
Might have to go back to doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: So tired I struggle to find energy to do the basic chores

Previous to my hysterectomy I was anemic. I was taking iron supplements which helped but each time I had my period my iron levels would plummet. Probably a good idea to have your blood tested again. Sometimes iron supplements are not sufficient or not absorbed properly due to a B12 deficiancy. And yes thyroid levels is another one to have checked. Hopefully you get some energy renewal before surgery. Hang in there
Unread 10-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: So tired I struggle to find energy to do the basic chores

I don't have thyroid or anemia problems. But just dealing with the pain on a daily basis seems to zap my energy. It's all I can do to get the basics done - then I just want to collapse on the couch and not move. And I'm so cranky - I don't think anyone really understands it. I feel like I'm not pulling my weight around the house, but I want to be able to do what I need to. I'm not good at letting others do things - call me a control freak! It's going to be really hard to let my husband take over when I'm laid up after surgery.....yikes.
Unread 10-13-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie6195 View Post
I don't have thyroid or anemia problems. But just dealing with the pain on a daily basis seems to zap my energy. It's all I can do to get the basics done - then I just want to collapse on the couch and not move. And I'm so cranky - I don't think anyone really understands it. I feel like I'm not pulling my weight around the house, but I want to be able to do what I need to. I'm not good at letting others do things - call me a control freak! It's going to be really hard to let my husband take over when I'm laid up after surgery.....yikes.
You'll be surprised at how easy it is to let everyone else do things. I am 5 days post op and still don't do much, I get tired and sore too fast. It is nice having the kids and hubby pamper the princess!!
Unread 10-13-2014, 11:16 AM

I was tired all the time and my doctors checked everything, it all came back normal. Are you on any medication to try to help control symptoms? I was on provera and not only did it not help my symptoms, I also had a bunch of side effects including extreme tiredness. Once I stopped (with dr permission of course) I started feeling a lot less tired.

While I was on the medication, I just did what I could. It took me 2 days to clean the bathroom instead if an hour. I was so tired I kept having to take breaks. It was frustrating, but it also felt so good to finally get it clean.

Also try to let family and friends help. This is very hard for me and something I actively have to work to "allow". I find it easier when I remind myself I'm not being lazy, I have a condition. After surgery, I will be healing. I love my family, but my healing will be more important than them having a perfectly clean house. If I don't vacuum for a month, it won't kill them. If it bothers them that much, they will have to do it themselves. I don't like leaving it to family to clean, but it's something I'm just going to have to get over for a few weeks.
Unread 10-13-2014, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the replies!
I am not on any medication apart from iron tablets. Apart from very heavy periods and occasional sore back I have no symptoms. I consider myself lucky! Sometimes I even doubt if this operation is needed.... I am 50, menopause could be just around the corner and the fibroids will shrink. It's my tiredness that makes me want to have it because I don't think it is the way to live! I will get thyroid function and iron levels checked as soon as possible. Thanks everyone, you are all very kind.
Unread 10-13-2014, 03:53 PM

Do you have adenomyosis as well ? It often accompanies fibroids and really had me feeling old and tired. I was zapped by 2 pm, daily. So much better now. Can you ask to be put on a cancellation list ?
Unread 10-13-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiarose View Post
Do you have adenomyosis as well ? It often accompanies fibroids and really had me feeling old and tired. I was zapped by 2 pm, daily. So much better now. Can you ask to be put on a cancellation list ?
I didn't even know what adenomyosis was so looked it up! I'm sure the gyno would have told me if I had... So I guess I don't.
I have already postponed the operation once. The hospital rang me last week and I asked to wait a few months so it might now be somewhere between December and February. I see how I feel by then. I am working on trying to get fit. I'm prob 10 kg heavier than I should be so am on a health kick to get rid of that. I'm sure that will help with recovery as well. I will be checking with my go for a few more tests before I go in. Thanks for that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register