Scheduled TAH a lot to deal with | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a lot to deal with a lot to deal with

Unread 02-28-2013, 10:34 PM
a lot to deal with

I just found out that I need a full abdominal hysterectomy. Knew it was a possibility for about a month but now that it is official I am kind of freaking out. I have had two c-sections and thought recovery would be the same but it sounds like this is going to take longer to heal. I was hoping to go back to work at least part time in two weeks but now I don't know. I work at a desk but with thick heavy files...I guess I will have to wait and see how it goes.

My daughter is having her first baby by the end of the month and I am hoping to have my surgery the first week of April. I hope all goes well with her delivery since I wont be of much help to her.

very thankful for the site..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Re: a lot to deal with

Hi there
Sorry to gear your having I have a hysterectomy , your surgery is a day after mine and am freaking out a little now too! My daughter is also due out first grandchild march 31st the same day hubby loses his job ! I also am crying over the fact I won't be able to do alot if lifting and help if she needs me ( but think of all the nanny cuddles we can have on the sofa). Gonna be a roller coaster of an emotional week that one j think! Good luck and best wishes To you, we are all here for you.
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:32 AM

Good morning ladies and good luck to you both! I am on day 11 post op from a TAH. So far it has been text book and fairly easy. I have gone shopping for short trips and out to eat once.....however......My clothes still don't fit well for all that long and yesterday I coughed and it laid me flat om my back for the rest of the night. Personally I would say two weeks will be pushing it. You have to remember that although the incision is the same as a c-section, they are actually cutting veins, muscles, and ligaments. These things all take a very long time to heal and if you are having a vaginal cuff there will be that to heal as well. I am a terrible sit around person....actually woke up this morning wishing for work, but I know in a few hours I will be tired and sore. Please don't rush yourselves, as the motto on this website goes. You only get one chance to heal, do it right the first time! If you have any specific questions about the TAH don't hesitate to ask I will be happy to answer if I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:05 AM

Sarah
Congrats on the new grandbaby. You are right we will be able to have lots time to hold our precious grandchildren. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Michele
Thank you for sharing. I am glad to hear you are doing well after your surgery. You make good points about the differences in this surgery and a c-section. I guess I didn't really think about all the differences. The more i hear and the more I think about it, the more i realize I am probably going to need to take as much time for my recovery that I need. The job will be there when I get back.

Thank you.
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:36 PM

I am 10 days post-op after a TAH and there is no way I could go back to work next week --- nor do I want to. I still need at least one long nap everyday plus a long nignt sleep, and I am not sure I'll be off pain meds entirely next week. It is a big surgery - bigger than a c-section. I hope to be back part-time by the 4-5 week mark, but not before! And part-time may not even be half-time. Don't commit to anything sooner than 6-8 weeks after surgery -- you just don't know.
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM

I took 7 weeks off for my TAH. The key is to not overdo it when you start feeling better. I did one day and landed up in bed for 2 days. This was about post op week 5. It is a big surgery and I have a large incision. It takes time to heal. I am now 8 weeks post op and have soreness at times.
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:49 PM

I'm six days post op with at TAH and there is no way I could go back to work next week. Just getting a shower has been exhausting. I'm still on pain meds every four hours. My belly is very swollen and nothing more than PJs has been comfortable! Please take your time and don't rush back. If you have the time to take then take it and get well and heal!
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:29 PM

Thank you for the advice. I am beginning to understand that I am going to need a lot more time. Thankfully I found out that I have six weeks of sick leave available from work. I am beginning to get a bit freaked out about all of this. It is happening so fast I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around it all. I was so relieved at first that it was not cancer that I didn't really think about the complexity of the surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register