question regarding post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question regarding post op question regarding post op

Unread 10-20-2004, 11:14 AM
question regarding post op

I'm kind of confused about the amount of time that it will take to heal up and stuff. I will be having a TAH/BOS at the beginning of Nov., I've had 3 c-sections and ovarian surgeries in the past....should I just expect to feel like I did after those surgeries? could someone let me know their experiences if they've had c-sections then a hysto? thanks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2004, 01:05 PM

Hi, I had a TAH 4 months ago and it was nothing like the 2 c-sections I had. Of course I'm 20 years older, but everything was different. Because they are removing parts of your body, it'll take everything else a while to resettle. With my c-sections I had spinals only, but with the hyster I was completely knocked out for6 hours so recovering from the anethesis took time too. My recovery went extremely well, but I was extremely tired most of the time. Just remember to take everything slow, give yourself plenty of time to recover, this is a major surgery you are having and it is so important to take care of yourself. I am feeling so great now and glad I listened to everyones advice, no matter how good you feel, your body needs time to heal. Good luck.

Deb
Unread 10-20-2004, 01:23 PM

I had my left ovary removed 3 yrs ago and now my TAH and they felt very much the same. I took one month off with the ovary (should have taken 6 weeks) and took 6 weeks off with the TAH. I had complications with both surgeries but after 6 weeks felt like, and did, return to work.

Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2004, 01:49 PM

I had TAH/BSO with endo. on 10/4/04. I also had 1 c-section 11 years ago. I have found the two surgeries to be similar even though I don't remember that many bad things about th c-section. I guess that the old saying is true that you don't remember the pain of childbirth no matter which way it comes. So far, not to jinx myself, my recovery from my hysterectomy has been good. At 16 days I am up and around trying not to do to much. At the begining it was painful to move and get up out of bed, go to the bathroom etc. but by the end of the first week I was feeling pretty good and the soreness was beginning to alleviate and everyday gets better. Good Luck to you!!!
Unread 10-20-2004, 02:04 PM

I think that CSections are somewhat similar to the hysterectomies. You still have an abdominal incision......but you have a baby to care for as well. The walking I did after surgery was much like the "post-partum"walk. The nice thing is there is no bleeding, you can sleep as much as you want, you are being taken care of (not taking care of a baby).
I had a very easy time of it overall. I am 3+ weeks post-op and I feel great!! I am not going out to the shopping centers or the malls, nor am I going to walk a marathon. For what my body has been through, I feel great!
Praying you will feel just as good,
Nancy
Unread 10-21-2004, 07:02 AM

Hi thepotteryhut;
This question comes up a lot! I had 2 c-sections. My first was an emergency. I felt like I was hit by a mac truck afterward.
My second one was pre-planned and it was so much easier then the first! I think a lot of it had to do with no labor this time.
Anyway, these were 19 and 20 years ago. I think from what I remember about the c-sections the first one was comparable to a hyst. I also believe the recovery time was about the same.
I must also add that my experiences do not reflect what your experience will be like. I have a low pain tolerance as well so I am sure that factored into my recovery.
To answer your question about healing time, it is about 6 weeks before your doctor "releases you" however, depending on your healing it may take up to 6 months to completley heal. This does NOT mean you can't go about your normal life!
Just remember to get plenty of rest and take things slow so you heal!
I hate to sound like a broken record but again, everyone heals differently!

Best wishes to you!

Sybie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register