One more day... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One more day... One more day...

Unread 08-07-2005, 05:03 PM
One more day...

Hi ladies,
It's one more day before my surgery, which will be Tuesday AM. I believe you call it a TAH, total abdominal hysterectomy, since he's taking out ovaries, tubes, uterus, and part of the cervix. I'll be put on estradiol right away, and surprisingly, he said I should be home by Thursday or Friday. I'm very scared, even though intellectually I know I'm doing the right thing. I was wondering, since this is abdominal, am I going to bleed like my period, and if so, how long does that last? And, just out of curiousity, has anyone ever heard of, or follow The Menopause Diet, by Larie G.? Thanks for being here...this is so helpful right now...love, Janice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 05:58 PM
One more day...

Hi Janice and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community! Your surgery date has almost arrived, but it's not too late to "do yourself a favor" and enrolled in Checkpoints which you can access from the tab at the top of this page, right below the logo. It's one of the best features the site has to offer, designed to accompany you through "the hysterectomy expderience" from start to finish...and beyond!

I had an abdominal hysterectomy, and only bled a little the first day I was in the hospital.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 08-07-2005, 08:16 PM
One more day...

I had an abdominal SAH and didn't bleed to much. Luckily - I had no complications. I too was a Tuesday gal (July 19th) and was released on the Friday afterward. It will be 4 weeks this Tuesday and I am already walking 20 minutes per day (slowly) and even went to the movies this afternoon. It won't be as bad as you think. Use the morphine pump and bring your own GasX. Ask for high fiber cereals as soon as your Doc. takes you off a clear liquid diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 08:50 PM
One more day...

I had very minimal bleeding for a few days. I didn't need anything more than a minipad. The hospital supplies the maxipads and belt (like used in maternity), but I brought my own thin, adhesive-backed pads from home.
Unread 08-07-2005, 09:06 PM
One more day...

Good Luck to you! You will do fine. I was scared also and had never been hospitalized other than to have my children!
I did not bleed hardly at all and did not have to wear any pads at home. I have never heard of the diet, but would be interested in hearing more about it. I am just now getting a little concerned about gaining weight. I have noticed that my middle is getting a little thick! LOL I am 6 months post op now and knowing I need to do something.
Unread 08-07-2005, 10:30 PM
One more day...

Janice,
I also had an abdominal hysterectomy and I never had the first bit of bleeding. I kept expecting to have a little, but never did.

I had my surgery on Thursday morning and I went home on Saturday morning.

I was very, very scared. I had never even spent the night in a hospital before. But it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it would be.

The waiting was truly the hardest part for me. And then the boredom of recovery.

Good luck to you.
Cheryl
Unread 08-08-2005, 12:13 PM
One more day...

Thank you all so much for your help, and for sharing your own stories...I just came from Walmart, trying to remember little things I'll need, but I know I'll forget something! I'm not thrilled about doing this enema thing tonight, but if I gotta, I gotta! I'll try to write when I get home, and can manage to get to my computer...thanks so much again, and take care of yourselves...love, Janice
Unread 08-08-2005, 02:45 PM
One more day...

Janice,
Just in case you read this before you do your bowel prep. I wanted to let you know that I was REALLY dreading the enema......almost as bad as the surgery. But it also wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe I just make things much worse in my mind.....I don't know, but it wasn't too bad.

Good luck with your surgery and your recovery. I hope everything goes very smooth for you.
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:34 PM
One more day...

Hi Janice
Just to wish you all the very best for tomorrow (Tuesday). I had a full hyst on 19th April this year (6" verticle abdominal). I bled for just a couple of days - nothing to speak of. I did take my little sani towels in because the hospital only has big bulky things that you do not want to use. With ref to the enema, of which I was sooooo dreading doing. Well it was a disaster. I was so nervous (about 2 hours before going in to clinic), that I couldn't get it up the right hole. Sounds silly now doesn't it? So, of course, I couldn't have a pooooooo. My other half said I should tell the clinic when I got there, but I needn't have worried because they did another one and definitely got it "up in the right place". I can laugh about it now. I was terrified of the op, but had no choice really - couldn't go on as I was. My only regret is that I didn't do it years ago. I was so near the end of the menopause but so many problems. Anyway I do not regret it at all. It will take time like most things, but we all get there eventually. I am now about coming up for 4 months post op and am doing great. And, of course, if you are like me, when you come home it was the first thing I wanted to do was come onto this wonderful site with all these lovely ladies and say "I'm Home". Then you will have some problems and wan't some help and you will get it on this site. Everyone is here to help !!!Good luck and a very speeeeeedy recovery.
lol and hugs Carol xxxx
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:45 PM
One more day...

Hi Janice
Forgot to say that after my full hyst (everything gone - even ovaries), I am not on any HRT at all and never have been, so please think very carefully whether you really need it or not. The only problem I have are quite bad hot flushes of which I am living with at the moment. I have even got back into having sex (only recently though). Didn't feel like rushing back into "doing it" like a lot of the ladies up here. I don't even need lubrication. Can't say it's back to as it was because I'm scared. But I will get there, and so will you.
Bye for now
lol Carol xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register