pain management and anesthesia questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain management and anesthesia questions pain management and anesthesia questions

Unread 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM
pain management and anesthesia questions

When I had my second c-section I woke up still in the OR in unspeakable pain. I can only remember my doctor saying something about morphine and then passing back out. This was 15 years ago, so advances have been made obviously. Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous in regards to this with my surgery next month. Some of you have had an epidural and general anesthesia. Did you get the epidural while you were already under the general? I have heard that this controls pain during the first 24 hours very well. If you had it, were you able to walk or have feeling in your legs afterwards? I get epidural injections in my lower back several times a year and these only cause weakness in the legs. Also, were you automatically given a pain pump (is it called PCA or something)? I know this is set to give a specific amount of medication with bursts added by tha patient. Did you feel that this controlled your pain? I know that I will not be pain free, but I do fear that uncontrollable, cannot breathe sort of pain. I should mention that I am either having a LAVH or a TAH. My preop appt. is in a few weeks, but it sounds like it is becoming more likely that it will be a TAH because of fibroids, scar tissue and the need to be under anesthesia for the shortest amount of time. I'd really like to hear experiences with the anesthesia and IV or pain pump medications? It is my understanding that oral meds are started only after the patient can eat, walk, etc., so I assume this won't be my situation for at least 24 hours. I am scheduled for 2-4 days in the hospital regardless of surgery type because of other health issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Re: pain management and anesthesia questions

I have had 3 cesereans with epidurals, Those went well. My TLH on friday will bring my surgeries total to 8. So, 3 with epidurals and 4, and I sure friday, are all under general anesthesia.

I tend to get a bit anxious so I ask for a valium before surgery which helps.

With the general anesthesia surgeries, the first two were easy. Number 3 was a different anesthesiologists and I had post anesthesia sickness. Number 4 I told this new anesthesiologists that I had gotten pretty sick last surgery but not with the prior 2, could they look at the surgical notes of the first two and try that "cocktail". That surgery went well also. This surgery on friday I have put in a personal request for the anesthesiologist I had with the first two. He was a great guy and he made me feel comfortable and safe. Not sure I will get him, but at least his "cocktail notes" are in my records.
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Re: pain management and anesthesia questions

I had a general and went off to sleep until waking in recovery. A self administered IV pain pump was given to me for one and a half days. The pain pump made me comfortable in bed, and I drifted in and out of sleep but it still hurt to turn on my side and sitting up was a major challenge. The pump delivered a set dose when you press the button (self administered), but does not give another dose for a set time (mine was 5 minutes). Except to have broken sleep, because pain wakes you up to press the button!

I went onto oral pain meds (endone and ibuprofen) on day two, when the pain pump was turned off. IV was left in for another day just to make sure the oral meds worked for me. Don't forget to call for the nurses whenever you feel pain meds are due, you need them.

I got out of bed on day two and walked to the shower. Shower was magic! I walked around the ward every day after that - first walk only 40m and very slow. Prior to surgery, I was told that i would be in hospital for 3-4 days. with TAH definitely stay four. I was home on the morning of day five.

Best wishes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register