Upcoming hysterectomy 8/19: Anxiety, insomnia, loneliness and hyper arousal nornal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/19: Anxiety, insomnia, loneliness and hyper arousal nornal? Upcoming hysterectomy 8/19: Anxiety, insomnia, loneliness and hyper arousal nornal?

Unread 08-10-2020, 01:06 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/19: Anxiety, insomnia, loneliness and hyper arousal nornal?

Hello. I am 10 days from my surgery. My anxiety is spiking, insomnia is killing me, and I am in a state of hyper arousal all the time. Is all of this nornal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2020, 04:43 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/19: Anxiety, insomnia, loneliness and hyper arousal nornal?

I remember feeling like that in the weeks leading up to my surgery. I have Asperger's Syndrome, so my senses are already permanently turned up, then adding in normal pre-op anxiety, combined with an as yet undiagnosed sensitivity to dyes in an iron supplement my doctor had prescribed, I was a complete mess. My doctor prescribed a short course of anti-anxiety medication, which helped, along with regular aerobic exercise to burn off all the extra stress hormones my body was producing, and strict avoidance of caffeine. Your doctor or your surgeon can prescribe something to help you through this stage, so I suggest speaking to one of them. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 08-10-2020, 07:44 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/19: Anxiety, insomnia, loneliness and hyper arousal nornal?

Hi GlendaTheGood to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

All of your feelings, fears, emotions, and anxieties are completely normal. This is one tough surgery to face and digest. Tiger_Eye provided good advice to talk to your doctor about medication that can ease your anxiety and help you sleep. Keeping yourself very busy can also distract your brain from the upcoming surgery, as well as exercise. Here is an article: Coping with Anxiety and Fear before Hysterectomy

You need to prepare your household for your downtime anyway. So you can get busy by doing that. Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. What I found most useful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-Plan entertainment for your brain
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (or pet visits)
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

Just know that you are not alone in any of this. We will be by your side throughout this process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2020, 04:26 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/19: Anxiety, insomnia, loneliness and hyper arousal nornal?

I've been thinking about your situation from a different perspective since my previous posting, and I've been thinking that it may actually be an evolved response, similar to what happens when you're startled by a loud noise. What happens is that when the primitive part of your brain, called the amygdala, perceives any type of stress, it goes into "fight or flight" mode, where it amplifies the senses, revs up the cardiovascular system, and shuts off the sleep drive; unfortunately, this part of the brain can't differentiate between the physical stress of being chased by a sabretoothed tiger and the mental stress of facing major surgery, so the response is the same. Regular aerobic exercise, as I previously recommended, can help by providing an outlet for all this excess energy. Practices like yoga, meditation, and deep breathing exercises can help by shutting off the stress response and engaging your parasympathetic nervous system, instantly calming you down; I do yoga regularly, and it really helped me with my pre-op anxiety. Because the blue light emitted by TVs, computers, tablets, and smartphones can contribute to a state of hyperarousal, I also suggest that you minimize time spent using these devices, and turn them off at least an hour before bedtime. Wishing you soon the best formfimdimg an effective solution, and for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 08-11-2020, 01:48 PM

Good points to consider. I hadn't thought of that, but it does make sense. I have been running lots of erramds on my days off to be sure I am as prepared as possible beforehand since I will be recovering alone for the most part. I have been doing a bit more online shopping and reading online newsletters and such. That is usually the extent of my screen time. I also have been filing paperwork for my time off of work. So, i guess the stress is accumulating and definitely could be causing the fight or flight reaction. I was aware of the creeping sadness and loneliness being an issue to watch for and I have been journaling to combat that. But hadn't realized the preparations and anxiety could cause other issues.
I have been meditating recently at least 30 minutes a day just for my sanity. Lol. It is helping. I will plan to incorporate a bit of yoga as well. Though I am also considering painting and drawing to help divert my attention.
Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts. I do really appreciate it! This is a very challenging experience for me. I have never faced anything of this magnitude alone before. Prior to the pandemic, I was trying to build relationships with area friends, after becoming single again, but most have socially distanced while I remained working. So, I am also with very few friends right now. It only compounds the stress. Haha... life is rough.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register