Lap Hysterectomy: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital? - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lap Hysterectomy: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital? Lap Hysterectomy: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital?

Unread 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Re: Lap Hysterectomy: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital?

I don't want to stay overnight!!!! I was exhausted after two nights in the hospital after my c-section, what with the constant checks by nurses. Unless there is some complication, I will be going home that evening...probably by 9pm (surgery at 3pm).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 10:47 AM

I'm thinking of you Colosue! I bet you are ready to get this over with, best of luck Friday!!
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Even as someone who recovered quickly from my LAVH (no real post-op pain-just discomfort, driving 5 days later and back to normal 10 days post) I agree 1 night in is advisable. It's major work done internally. My doc likes to see the post op bleeding turn into spotting and making sure the bladder is OK (I didn't have any bladder involvement but my doc used dye on the bladder to make sure it wasn't nicked). I might have been worried a bit at home, 1 night in its true I slept very little (nurse said all the patients at the 23 hr surgery center were all up that night). But with just 1 night in with disrupted sleep I slept SO well when I got home. 100% worth it.

My doc even told the nurse he couldn't discharge me until 3 since he knew my hubby couldn't get there until 3-4pm. I sent hubby home while I was in pre-op about 20 min before surgery and told him not to return until discharged the next day or if I called him. I prefer to be alone in hospitals (been I'm many many times).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 11:05 AM

Thanks, Stephanie! I think the stress leading up to the surgery is probably worse than the surgery!

Spine, I don't believe staying overnight for me is an option--unless there is some complication. This is categorized as outpatient, and my insurance company is not giving me a choice. And really, I don't want to stay. I will be staying 10 minutes from the hospital, so a very quick ride if something goes amiss.
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Lap Hysterectomy: Does everyone stay overnight at the hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoSue View Post
Thanks, Stephanie! I think the stress leading up to the surgery is probably worse than the surgery!

Spine, I don't believe staying overnight for me is an option--unless there is some complication. This is categorized as outpatient, and my insurance company is not giving me a choice. And really, I don't want to stay. I will be staying 10 minutes from the hospital, so a very quick ride if something goes amiss.

You are welcome! The pre op worries are getting to me too.
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:07 AM

I barely made it back to the hospital when i had my complication. I went by ems and it was 5 minutes away. Please just be careful.
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:54 AM

23 hr stay are considered outpatient. The hospital I was in has a unit just for that.

Many people who spend 1-2 nights are classified as outpatient, they just don't know it.

For hysterectomy in USA most insurance plans mandatorily include 23 hour observation as automatically included/approved, but not required. It's physician and patient discretion. When a surgeon's office requests approval, for any surgery, the ins co replies back with "as long as it meets our guidelines we'll pay and we allow___night stay without requiring pre-authorization. Any stay beyond___requires the physician provide proof of necessary extended care".

I had major hand surgery last November and outpatient stay was automatically approved for 48 hours and he kept me 2 nights for ongoing numbing of the arm. To anyone in my room it would have looked like I was admitted, I wasn't, it was extended outpatient stay.

Many hospitals have dedicated floors/rooms or even separate facilities for outpatient overnight stays. The major hospital group in Scottsdale has 1 facility at each of the 2 major hospitals for outpatient surgery and outpatient stay. Some go home, some stay. The one I was in for LAVH has 10 beds, one has 20, had my hand done there. Every patient on the floor I was on were all outpatient overnight stays. The night of my LAVH stay the night the nurse told me there were 2 hysterectomies, 1 deviated nasal septum repair (saw her walking the halls and had huge sympathy for her), 2 gallbladder removal, 2 knee surgeries, 1 ankle surgery and 1 shoulder. She said they do up to 3 night outpatient stay, beyond that someone is moved to a regular floor. Some nights all 10 rooms are filled and some overnight outpatient patients go to a regular floor just based on capacity. She said the day I left the had been told maybe 5 would stay, by the time I left at 4om the nurse said the final count was 3 so one nurse shifted to a regular floor since they didn't need 2 RN and 2 CA for only 3 outpatient overnight stays

{Just as an aside, if you or parents are covered by Medicare. Medicare requires the patient be "admitted inpatient" for 3 nights and then Medicare will cover rehabilitation at a facility. These days hospitals do outpatient observation so much but in the case of surgeries like back, joint replacement, etc always insist on admission, not extended outpatient stay, for people on Medicare. If a patient is "admitted" for 3 nights Medicare covers any rehab facility stay. If not admitted, Medicare won't pay. My mom was frustrated she had to stay 3 nights after hip replacement (I swear she doesn't feel pain) but I insisted as did the doctor just in case a rehab facility stay was required.}
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:59 AM

That's all very interesting, Spine. (I'm sorry you have to be so experienced with all this!). Maybe I do have an option to stay...but I know I will prefer to go home. Thanks for sharing all that!
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM

I stayed over 1 night, and didn't come home till late the next day, I had a hard time waking up and was very dizzy and sick... But I was lucky I had a private room
Unread 04-02-2014, 12:11 PM

I think this subject has been discussed and discussed. Colosue has stated she is prepared for staying if needed but she doesn't feel it's necessary.

We should all wish her the best of luck, and hope she doesn't need to stay!

I'm not trying to be rude, but she has educated herself. And I feel it's time to let up on her a bit .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register