Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Help freaking out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Help freaking out Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Help freaking out

Unread 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Help freaking out

My surgery just got moved from Oct 29 to Monday Sept 24. I placed an order last week from store on here. Hope I get it before Monday but if not what are must haves???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvisalli77 View Post
My surgery just got moved from Oct 29 to Monday Sept 24. I placed an order last week from store on here. Hope I get it before Monday but if not what are must haves???
What all did you order?
Unread 09-20-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvtrtl93 View Post
What all did you order?
Deluxe Hysterectomy Prep Set
Options:
Choose Size for Perfect Pocket Binder and eye mask
Unread 09-21-2018, 06:17 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/24: Help freaking out

For the hospital, in addition to an eye mask, I recommend earplugs; other helpful items include powdered or crystallized ginger for nausea from the anaesthesia, Gas-X or fennel seeds for gas relief, throat lozenges for soreness from the breathing tube, extension cords if you'll be bringing your phone or any other electronic devices, and a pen and notepad to keep track of your medications and any other important information. For your recovery, I recommend the following items: a comfortable recovery spot; a freezer and pantry filled with easy to prepare meals and snacks; loose fitting clothes; a few small pillows to protect your belly when coughing or sneezing; peppermint tea, frozen blueberries, whole grain cereal, a psyllium-based product like Metamucil, and magnesium-rich dark chocolate to get your bowels going; something to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, like a Squatty Potty or a small footstool, to make those post-op bowel movements easier; a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Check our "Hints From Members" forum for more suggestions. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM

Tiger Eye has great advice. I had a binder but it wasn't comfortable for me immediately postop.
My must haves:
Grabber for reaching things off floor
Small tummy pillow (i just used a regular ol throw pillow. Take it to the surgery place with you so you will have it post-op and on the ride home)
A robe if you spend the night in the hospital
My phone and headphones and charger cord
Lifesavers or mints
A good water bottle
Chapstick
Comfortable clothes for after surgery with loose waists. Sundresses. Yoga pants. Etc. I wish I had a couple more large waisted clothing items and panties because I haven't felt like shopping and I have to do laundry every other day.
I love my body pillow. I'm a side sleeper and it allowed me to sleep on my side from day 1.
I loved my white noise machine in the hospital. I wouldn't run out and buy one but if you are spending the night and you have one, take it with you.
Colace stool softener
Cranberry juice
TV tray table at home
Bring home one of the big wash basins from the hospital if you can. I put all my stuff in it and it's easy to carry from spot to spot in my house and keep all my must haves nearby.
There will be things that come up and you will realize you need or want but if you have a SO or friends or family nearby, they are usually willing to pick something up for you.
Don't stress! I was so groggy the first few days I slept most of the time. So fix yourself a comfy rest spot with blankets and pillows and you will be all set. You probably won't need as much as you think you do.
Best wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!!!
Unread 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM

Thank you so much
Unread 09-21-2018, 11:44 AM

I also recommend having cough drops and mucinex on hand. I had more pain from the intubation than the actual surgery. So much gas x...I'm just shy of two weeks post op and have nearly gone through a 50 pack. Laxative suppositories aren't a terrible idea to have on hand either. Good luck!
Unread 09-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygrl2009 View Post
I also recommend having cough drops and mucinex on hand. I had more pain from the intubation than the actual surgery. So much gas x...I'm just shy of two weeks post op and have nearly gone through a 50 pack. Laxative suppositories aren't a terrible idea to have on hand either. Good luck!
Great thank you have lots of gas x already and mirilax. But may need to get more. Have cough drops packed. What is the mucinex for? Never thought of that. I am supposed to go back to work after 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.
Unread 09-21-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvisalli77 View Post
Great thank you have lots of gas x already and mirilax. But may need to get more. Have cough drops packed. What is the mucinex for? Never thought of that. I am supposed to go back to work after 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.
Mucus is a pretty common side effect of anesthesia and intubation. The mucinex will help break it up so you can get it out more gently. My personal preference is mucinex d which has pseudoephedrine that'll mostly stop the coughing too. Miralax will help your digestive system move along but it is apparently somewhat common to get "plugged" up..quite literally if you'll excuse the grossness. A few days post op I called my dr office so full of poo it made by stitches hurt. They suggested the suppository to help clear the poop plug so you can get back to regularity...theoretically anyways I'm still not having much luck without the laxatives. Everyone heals at different speeds but be careful that you don't go back to work too early and hurt yourself. I'm coming up on my two week mark Monday and though pain and mobility wise I'm work ready my energy level is still only ready for part time. Oh and if you're getting both ovaries removed and not starting hrt immediately estroven is your friend.
Unread 09-21-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygrl2009 View Post
Mucus is a pretty common side effect of anesthesia and intubation. The mucinex will help break it up so you can get it out more gently. My personal preference is mucinex d which has pseudoephedrine that'll mostly stop the coughing too. Miralax will help your digestive system move along but it is apparently somewhat common to get "plugged" up..quite literally if you'll excuse the grossness. A few days post op I called my dr office so full of poo it made by stitches hurt. They suggested the suppository to help clear the poop plug so you can get back to regularity...theoretically anyways I'm still not having much luck without the laxatives. Everyone heals at different speeds but be careful that you don't go back to work too early and hurt yourself. I'm coming up on my two week mark Monday and though pain and mobility wise I'm work ready my energy level is still only ready for part time. Oh and if you're getting both ovaries removed and not starting hrt immediately estroven is your friend.
Okay back to CVS I go lol. I work from home but yes I am worried about if I will be able to work 8 hours. I also got Poise pads just in case. A friend told me to get Amberen so I have that. I have endometriosis so that is why she is removing everything. And then she has to find all of it as well. I think she said she is starting me on something very low dose right away.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register