Upcoming August hysterectomy: Finally have a date! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming August hysterectomy: Finally have a date! Upcoming August hysterectomy: Finally have a date!

Unread 07-16-2020, 11:04 AM
Upcoming August hysterectomy: Finally have a date!

I saw my GYN last Friday, and we came to the conclusion that a hysterectomy is needed. I have had several surgeries dealing with my lady parts, and I am ready to have it behind me. My surgery date is August 14th and it will be a Robotic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy due to an ill cervix. But the plan is to leave in my one lonely ovary, as I am only 32. I am looking for any and all advice. I may have to recover on my own with my fiance traveling for work, but I will have my 11 year old son to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2020, 01:16 PM
Re: Finally have a date!

I'm glad you have a date! Reading here really helped me be well prepared for the surgery and understand what I was up against. Looking through the threads about preparing for surgery and recovering gave me so much practical info that I did not know.

Wishing you the best!
Unread 07-16-2020, 01:26 PM

Congrats! A hysterectomy in my eyes is something to celebrate! Its wonderful to get that unhealthy lady parts out! I lost both ovaries age 39 so still too young but I am in menopause on a HRT compound cream and I feel wonderful! So, if for some reason an ovary shouldnt or cant be left behind, menopause along with HRT isnt the worst thing. My surgeon really wanted to save an ovary but she said it just wasnt possible.

Your 11 year old son should be plenty of help. The trapped gas causes the most pain so once you are through that, its less painful. I didnt use any pain medications at all, it really helped the gas and bowels to move quicker, not taking pain meds. Do take them if you need to tho!! I guess my pain before surgery was worse than after the surgery so that was enough relief for me to say goodbye pain meds!! Woohoo!

Have a wonderful surgery!! :-)
Unread 07-16-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarbell View Post
Congrats! A hysterectomy in my eyes is something to celebrate! Its wonderful to get that unhealthy lady parts out! I lost both ovaries age 39 so still too young but I am in menopause on a HRT compound cream and I feel wonderful! So, if for some reason an ovary shouldnt or cant be left behind, menopause along with HRT isnt the worst thing. My surgeon really wanted to save an ovary but she said it just wasnt possible.

Your 11 year old son should be plenty of help. The trapped gas causes the most pain so once you are through that, its less painful. I didnt use any pain medications at all, it really helped the gas and bowels to move quicker, not taking pain meds. Do take them if you need to tho!! I guess my pain before surgery was worse than after the surgery so that was enough relief for me to say goodbye pain meds!! Woohoo!

I am definitely hoping for the best on the ovary, but it has had small cysts before so we will see once she is in there. I have some endometriosis to be removed too. I am praying like crazy my date does not get pushed. I have waited too long! I have had surgeries with the gas and man, that stuff is uncomfortable. I know walking as tolerated helps, but I have been reading other ideas too.
Unread 07-16-2020, 01:35 PM

I had a ton of endometriosis removed. It was a mess! My ovaries and uterus were all stuck together in a giant glob of sticky endo glue. I am aware that endo can continue to grow after surgery, it makes me nervous but my surgeon is pretty confident that the teeny tiny bit she couldnt get, wont grow. Fingers crossed!! If you do have endo, i hope they can remove it all. Its a nasty beast to battle. I am on a low dose of hormones because estrogen likes to feed that endo! So i have to be on estrogen with progresterone to help with endo growth.

Fingers crossed that you get to keep your date!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa06 View Post
I am definitely hoping for the best on the ovary, but it has had small cysts before so we will see once she is in there. I have some endometriosis to be removed too. I am praying like crazy my date does not get pushed. I have waited too long! I have had surgeries with the gas and man, that stuff is uncomfortable. I know walking as tolerated helps, but I have been reading other ideas too.
Unread 07-16-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarbell View Post

It's so interesting how differently we all react to the surgery. I'm amazed that you could go without pain meds! I've always had a high pain tolerance but had to get a refill on my percocet because I was in agony when I tried to go to just tylenol and ibuprofen. I know we need to be careful not to compare as we are all on our own journey but it is interesting to me to see the different stories and how each sister has dealt with her surgery.
Unread 07-16-2020, 01:51 PM

My Rx for Oxy was handed to me at my pre op appointment for bloodwork. I told her no way am I taking this. She said fill it and please have it because if you need it, you will want it. I got home, thought about it.... and ripped it up! After surgery she said, you have your oxy filled right? I said yep I sure do! I felt bad that I lied. I was nervous not having it but it turns out that i didnt need it at all!! I was actually pretty surprised, I expected to suffer in pain for a week. I just cannot believe that it didnt hurt!! Im still amazed! Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli1970 View Post
It's so interesting how differently we all react to the surgery. I'm amazed that you could go without pain meds! I've always had a high pain tolerance but had to get a refill on my percocet because I was in agony when I tried to go to just tylenol and ibuprofen. I know we need to be careful not to compare as we are all on our own journey but it is interesting to me to see the different stories and how each sister has dealt with her surgery.
Unread 07-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Hi Lissa06 to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

I am sure your 11-yr old will be lots of help! You can tell your child what an important roll he or she will have.

Here are articles that may provide information:
10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy
Feeding Your Family During Hysterectomy Recovery

What I found most useful (I do not have children) were the following (some may not be possible due to the pandemic):
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-Plan entertainment for your brain
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (or pet visits)
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

You may also want your fiance to read the following:
MisterHyster Sisters

Unread 07-17-2020, 04:29 AM
Re: Upcoming August hysterectomy: Finally have a date!

I was prescribed Oxycodone after my surgery, which I had to stop taking because it was making me throw up, and then my online research indicated that because I have poor stomach motility, I shouldn't have even been taking a narcotic painkiller, and then I found that I was okay alternating naproxen - an NSAID like ibuprofen - and acetaminophen; by day 6, the pain had diminished to the point where I no longer needed to take anything. As for the gas, and its cohort constipation, here are a few suggestions for items to have on hand: a good pair of walking shoes; an easy-open water bottle; peppermint tea; fibre-rich whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran; frozen blueberries; ground flaxseeds; a fibre supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre; magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; Gas-X; a heating pad; fennel and coriander seeds; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning the rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Other helpful household items to have on hand include a supply of disposable dishes and cutlery to minimize clean-up, extension cords for plugging in your electronics, and a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 07-17-2020, 07:58 AM

Thank you ladies for all your advice and help! I am doing some shopping now for more comfy clothes and food ideas. You ladies are the best!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register