Endometrial Cancer: Scared to eat after TLH BSO for EndoCa Stage1A Grade1 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared to eat after TLH BSO for EndoCa Stage1A Grade1 Scared to eat after TLH BSO for EndoCa Stage1A Grade1

Unread 08-01-2020, 09:23 AM
Scared to eat after TLH BSO for EndoCa Stage1A Grade1

Sisters, I’m 3 weeks after TLH BSO, 8 weeks after diagnosis and I’ve lost 8 kilos/18lbs because I’m scared to eat. Aged 54, post menopausal, weigh 79kg/174lbs. I try really hard to get calories in, but I’ve gone vegetarian and eat mostly lentils, chickpeas and quinoa since diagnosis.

The reasons are that (1) I know that Grade1 EndoCa is estrogen-dependent, and my fat cells are converting androgen to estrogen, potentially stimulating any cancer cells left. (2) I worry about eating things that could mimic estrogen, or stimulate cancer cells, like sugar or soy products.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2020, 08:53 AM
Re: Scared to eat after TLH BSO for EndoCa Stage1A Grade1

I had a different type of cancer, so I'll leave most specifics to others in that regard. Generally speaking, it's important to try to maintain good overall health, including a reasonable diet, so our bodies are able to function at their optimal levels. A weakened system due to improper nutrition can also put us at increased risk for things, and you certainly don't want to be at a disadvantage. Perhaps you could address these concerns with your care team, as I'm sure they would be able to clarify which things truly are ones which might do more harm than good.

I know this all seems overwhelming, but you can do this! Sending hugs and every good thought your way. We're glad you found us!

Unread 08-02-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella&Joven View Post
Sisters, I’m 3 weeks after TLH BSO, 8 weeks after diagnosis and I’ve lost 8 kilos/18lbs because I’m scared to eat. Aged 54, post menopausal, weigh 79kg/174lbs. I try really hard to get calories in, but I’ve gone vegetarian and eat mostly lentils, chickpeas and quinoa since diagnosis.

The reasons are that (1) I know that Grade1 EndoCa is estrogen-dependent, and my fat cells are converting androgen to estrogen, potentially stimulating any cancer cells left. (2) I worry about eating things that could mimic estrogen, or stimulate cancer cells, like sugar or soy products.

Any advice would be appreciated.
A friend went through something similar. She was convinced that eating organic, clean vegetable and fruits - as well as grass fed high quality beef and wild caught fish - was a way to nourish her body and help her heal. She saw eating as a path to healing. Maybe thinking of it that way (because it is true) would help you not be fearful?

And yes, talk to a nutritionist who specializes in helping people who have a similar diagnosis.

Wishing you the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2020, 04:39 PM

Bella&Joven

Glad to hear that your surgery is behind you! It’s easy to get a bit hung up about the future, and how to maybe improve your health.

A balanced diet is by far the best option. Trying to never eat certain foods is only going to cause you stress. After my diagnosis I was never told to avoid certain foods. I think a healthy weight and level of fitness is far more important for our overall wellbeing.

I am 140 pounds and 5’9” tall. Any time I have a health check my doctor always says that I am about the correct weight for my height, but not to put on any weight. He’s more interested in my BMI and heart and lung function.

His mantra is Everything in Moderation - probably very good advice.

Take care

Unread 09-27-2020, 04:30 PM
Scared to eat after TLH BSO for EndoCa Stage1A Grade1

Thanks for the reassuring messages. I’ve found myself a nutritionist that is helping me lose weight gradually with a balanced diet, with the eventual objective of going from a BMI of 28 to 25. I am also doing tests on how I process estrogen, to see if any foods could improve the biochemical pathways in my body, given that my cancer is estrogen-dependent. I’ll keep you updated on how I do. Xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register