Upcoming hysterectomy 8/31: Pre-Op Differences due to COVID | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/31: Pre-Op Differences due to COVID Upcoming hysterectomy 8/31: Pre-Op Differences due to COVID

Unread 08-12-2020, 05:26 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/31: Pre-Op Differences due to COVID

Pre-Op During COViD

Hello Everyone, I have my hysterectomy August 31st. I had a Da Vinci assisted Lap for endometriosis in 2018 and 2019, due to suspected additional endo and adeno I’ll be having my LAVH hysterectomy leaving only Ovaries. My question lies in pre-op prep once you get to the hospital how is it different now due to COVID? And then also when you wakeup do you have to wear a mask? I have a hard time waking up and have some sensory issues/ medical trauma history and so knowing if they’ll already have a mask on me when waking up will help me prepare with my therapist. Thank you in advance... I appreciate all information no matter how minute. It will help me better visualize and prepare mentally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swetmore View Post
Pre-Op During COViD

Hello Everyone, I have my hysterectomy August 31st. I had a Da Vinci assisted Lap for endometriosis in 2018 and 2019, due to suspected additional endo and adeno I’ll be having my LAVH hysterectomy leaving only Ovaries. My question lies in pre-op prep once you get to the hospital how is it different now due to COVID? And then also when you wakeup do you have to wear a mask? I have a hard time waking up and have some sensory issues/ medical trauma history and so knowing if they’ll already have a mask on me when waking up will help me prepare with my therapist. Thank you in advance... I appreciate all information no matter how minute. It will help me better visualize and prepare mentally.
I wish I could answer your questions. I do believe the policies will vary from one hospital to the next. I am having my surgery this coming Friday, with pre-surgery testing tomorrow. I believe the best thing to do would be to discuss your concerns with the surgeon. On some instances, you can talk to someone with the surgery department at the facility.
Unread 08-12-2020, 06:21 PM
Re: Pre-Op Differences due to COVID

The main difference is no visitors, if you’re in a room alone you won’t have to wear a mask, however if you walk in the hallway, you will need to wear one.

It is best to contact your hospital, as no matter what we say, there may be different protocols in place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2020, 07:05 PM
Re: Pre-Op Differences due to COVID

Hi Swetmore to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

As the other sisters have indicated, each hospital is different so it is best to ask them if you will be masked when you wake up. You will probably have oxygen tubes in your nose, but ask about that as well. And you will still have your IV in. Just let them know your scenario - that you will need to know exactly how you will be and what equipment will be on your body.

The biggest change is probably the visitor restrictions. Most hospitals are no longer allowing anyone to be with you - both pre-op and post-op.

Although I recently had a minor medical procedure involving asesthia (day only) and my husband was allowed to come in after I woke up in recovery, but he was not allowed to be with me before the procedure.

Again, ask what are the restrictions and requirements.

Unread 08-13-2020, 04:12 AM

I'm not sure what the rules are where you live, but in my province, people with certain medical or human rights considerations are exempt from mandatory mask rules; I have sensory issues from being on the autistic spectrum, which is a legitimate exemption, so I suggest checking the rules to see if you can claim an exemption for your situation. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 08-15-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Pre-Op During COViD

hello,
i had my cone biopsy in june. i was wearing a mask when they brought menfrom my room and when i woke up after surgery i had one on.
Unread 08-18-2020, 08:57 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 8/31: Pre-Op Differences due to COVID

I woke up in recovery without my mask on. After I had been awake for a while, the nurse showed me my mask and helped me to put it back on. I took the mask off and on while I sucked on ice chips.
Unread 08-25-2020, 07:00 AM

Hello, First Thank You for posting! I am also scheduled for surgery August 31,2020.Today I go in for my pre-op and so was reminded to ask questions in what the rules are here in our area! i am doing a 2 in one surgery meaning besides doing a hysterectomy I am also having a prolapse fixed at the same time! Hope you have a speedy recovery and get a chance to ask all your questions and have them answered. Hang in there I like to remind myself that better days are just around the next bend! Hope you will post on the other side of surgery. (post-op)!
Unread 08-25-2020, 08:40 AM

My surgery is 9/18 and I forgot to ask about masks. Thanks for the reminder. I did ask if my husband can come with me and I was told that I can have just one visitor for my entire hospital stay. No other visitors. Honestly, I'm ok with that because I feel like I'm not going to be in the mood to entertain visitors anyway.
Unread 08-30-2020, 03:23 PM

I only had to wear the mask when I was in the hallways. Once I was in my room I could take it off. When I woke up I’m recovery it was off, and they didn’t put it back on until it was time to transfer to my room.

Unfortunately I wasn’t allowed visitors during the entire stay but staff were extra nice and helpful.

Quote:
Pre-Op During COViD

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register