Ablation for Adenomyosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ablation for Adenomyosis Ablation for Adenomyosis

Unread 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Ablation for Adenomyosis

I just had a talk with my Ob/Gyn and was old my insurance requires for them to do the ablation first. If that doesn't work I can have the partial hysterectomy. I have read a few posts on here about the procedure. I know everybodies situation is different, so here is the short story of whats going on.

Brief history: I have ALWAYS had very painful periods and heavy bleeding with blood clots (some golf ball size). The cramps feel like contractions.

I have been bleeding since mid October 2010. I have taken Provera and it stopped for 2 days. Then it was back and 10 times worse with the bleeding and CONSTANT cramping. I was going through 32 packs of pads every 2 days. Then he put me on Aygestin and it slowed it at first. Now it is back to bleeding, not as bad as before, the cramps are tolerable.

After speaking with my Dr. he says the possibility of the ablation working is about 50 - 50. My questions are:

1. Is it possible it could work?
2. If it doesn't how long will it take for me to know it didn't?

Any questions you have I will answer if you need more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Re: Ablation for Adenomyosis

Hi ... all I can say is Good Luck!!! I am living your SAME EXACT STORY, I went ahead & had the ablation in March 2009 ... for me, it didn't work. At the time, my uterus was "twice it's normal size" so when the "netting" expanded in my uterus (during the ablation) it only touched 1/2 of it, so I went right back to enduring the heavy bleeding. NOW ... my uterus is "4 to 5 times it's normal size" (the size of a 16 week pregnancy) and I'm finally mentally prepared to have a total hysterectomy (because I've waited, it now has to be done abdominally, because my uterus is TOO LARGE to be removed vaginally). IF your uterus is larger than "normal" ~ I would REFUSE to have the ablation. BEST WISHES!!!

~ Tammy
Unread 01-04-2011, 04:40 PM

hi,
i didn't know i had adenomyosis until after my hysterectomy but that does explain the pain i was having.
i also had ablation but it didn't work!
i don't think ablation will work for adenomyosis as it is bleeding within the walls of the uterus,not within the uterus itself!!!
go ahead and try it but i now know for myself that it was a waste of time and had i have known about adenomyosis i would not have agreed to the ablation.
sorry to be so blunt but i do think the drs sometimes try to do as many treatments as they can before they will admit to surgery.fair play if this works but....
good luck and keep us posted...
xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carliefarlie43 View Post
hi,
i didn't know i had adenomyosis until after my hysterectomy but that does explain the pain i was having.
i also had ablation but it didn't work!
i don't think ablation will work for adenomyosis as it is bleeding within the walls of the uterus,not within the uterus itself!!!
go ahead and try it but i now know for myself that it was a waste of time and had i have known about adenomyosis i would not have agreed to the ablation.
sorry to be so blunt but i do think the drs sometimes try to do as many treatments as they can before they will admit to surgery.fair play if this works but....
good luck and keep us posted...
xx
I agree, for me it was a waste of time also. Having a hysterectomy in Feb., suspected adenomyosis. I think the doctors have to follow protocol outlined by insurance companies. Mine pretty much said they have to follow steps before surgery can be recommended and accepted. Have a history of endo, fibroids and ovarian cysts. I had the ablation last year, then Depo shots, all failed. Now the final step of hysterectomy.
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:37 AM

My Dr. is wanting to do the hysto., but the insurance is the problem. They say there is a 50/50 chance the ablation will work so you HAVE to try it first. I just went for my pre-op appt this past Friday and went through all the blood drawing. I had to give a urine sample and she said if it's too bloody then I may have to do another one before the ablation procedure this coming Friday, 1/13/2011. Not only does it come out like I just peed blood but I think there were small clots as well.

Here we are Sunday 1/9/2011 and my bleeding has slowed to spotting. This was the way the bleeding began. After 2 months of this type of bleeding and 1 month of severe cramping and HEAVY bleeding, it's almost like it just dried up and almost gone.

Let me go back to when the doctor gave me provera and Aygestin. After taking the Provera the bleeding quit for 2 days. After having sex it came back and started slow. Then, it was miserable!!! This is when he gave me Aygestin, and it seemed to slow(slightly) the bleeding but not stop it. (This is where my number 5 comes from in my list....)

My newest issues that appeared were stabbing pain in the pelvic area and pressure when I am using the bathroom. I have been going through all the symptoms I've had since this all came up. Here is the list that aren't normal my cycle:

1. bleeding for 3 months
(a break in there of 2 days after taking meds.)
2. SEVERE cramping (5 times more than normal)
3. stabbing pelvic pain
4. pressure when using restroom
5. bleeding again after sex and douching

Anybody have any of these problems? I am very concerned it may be cancer of the ovaries or cervix. Because my doctor hasn't been able to do a PAP, he hasn't been able to check anything. I did have a biposy of the uteris done and it was good. Can it still be cervical or ovarian cancer?
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM

I'm sure every insurance company does their own thing. But, in my case, my insurance company did not require an ablation prior to hysterectomy. My Dr. gave ME the choice, at the time (stupid idiot Dr. that I had!). If HE had been more knowledgeable, and WAS SOMEWHAT AWARE that the face that MY UTERUS WAS TWICE IT'S NORMAL SIZE would make having an ablation a HUGE waste of time ... he would have just done the hysterectomy (2 years ago), and I wouldn't have gone through SO SO SO SO MUCH (OH I could blab on about this saga for days!). And, now my uterus is 4 to 5 times it's normal size, and a hysterectomy can ONLY BE DONE ABDOMINALLY because it's so HUGE ... grrrrrrrrr, stupid DR.! Anyway, <big smile> MY insurance company agreed to do whatever HE wanted to do, at the time. I had a lousy DR., not a lousy insurance company. Lucky me. LOL!

~ Tammy
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:51 AM

I had the bleeding non stop and the unusually severe cramping and the pressure. The pressure was non stop though not just when using the restroom. If it did stop bleeding at any point with help of different drugs it would start up again within days. Sex was out of the question it would bleed worse after. Mine was from polyps and a Large fibroid that was on top of the uterus that grew extremely fast. I am so glad it is all gone!
Even with me bleeding they were able to do a uterus biopsy. I can't remember the medical name for it. It was a VERY unpleasant test but it tested for cancer cell in the uterus. I would ask about that if you are worried.
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:04 AM

My ablation WAS successful at stopping my bleeding. I still do not know why I bled all the time. Needless to say, tho, my ablation did not work, I ended up here, with a hysterectomy.

I would not recommend ablation to anyone. From what I read, adeno is contraindicated with ablation.

Like someone in real life said to me, who wants to have their organ microwaved and then walk around indefinitely with it rotting inside of you?

And ablation can hamper future diagnosis of Ca.

Just my opinion.
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Woman View Post
Like someone in real life said to me, who wants to have their organ microwaved and then walk around indefinitely with it rotting inside of you?

LOL!!! What a HORRIBLE yet OH SO FUNNY way to put it! I never looked at it that way!!! Good one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register